Multiple Nukes

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by slow0, January 9, 2014.

1. thetdawg3191

thetdawg3191 Active Member

i had misguidedly made a separate post on the subject, but yes, i support the 1 click - 1 nuke proposal.

but why stop there?

why not also be able to control how many you launch per click?
  2. KNight

KNight Post Master General

To be honest, I don't see enough benefit from adding in that kind of complication when it's likely to be a lot simpler to just click as many times as you want Nucks.

Mike
  3. thetdawg3191

but what about the off chance you have, say......

well over 100 launchers?
  4. KNight

But how likely do you think that really is during regular gameplay?

Mike
  5. ledarsi

ledarsi Post Master General

Even smart casting (which is essentially what is being discussed) should be the minimum amount of UI sauce we should expect. Being able to order multiple units to execute a particular order only one time for a single click is a very straightforward UI feature.

But even smart casting imposes a micro burden on the player to simultaneously execute a large number of commands on different places. The decision of where to nuke should be separated from the decision of when to launch all the nukes in the barrage.

I would like to see some real UI sauce about selecting nuke targets. Such as allowing players to pre-emptively place points where nukes will be launched means you won't have to quickly order many different silos to fire at many different places. After you have specified where you intend to fire, you can give the order to fire, and all your silos will pick a target point and launch immediately, no high APM required to find disparate silos and give attack orders to different targets.
    Pendaelose likes this.
  6. thetdawg3191

because it's likely something i would attempt, given enough time.....

ii've definitely had games where i had both the time, the resources, and the fabbers to build as many launchers as i damn well pleased. granted, putting 6 adv. fabbers on each one would be out of the question, due to the sheer volume of missiles being prepped. still...i guess i'm just a crazy mo-fo like that....:rolleyes:
  7. slow0

slow0 New Member

It just takes way to long to be zooming in and out of planet to pick locations sometimes we make 20 nukes so gotta zoom in and out select nuke pick location each time its a ball ache. It would be far easier just to select 12 nukes n give them an area command for group sending
    Pendaelose likes this.
  8. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

in anycase going by one of the streams we had the OP's suggestion is now real.
    I think Knight's take was interesting that said I can't really see myself wanting to hold back when i finally do launch an attack.
    but there may be a case where i want to simply overwhelm the anti-nuck and focus fire on it.
  9. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

Which stream?
  10. tatsujb

one from garat if I'm not entirely mistaken, check his twitch account.
  11. slow0

slow0 New Member

Cant find the vid anywhere i hope so tho
  12. Lomak

Lomak New Member

Make nuke a unique building. Then they have a more strategic character and would feel more balanced and it solves also the threadstarters problem/suggestion ;)
  13. Pendaelose

Pendaelose Well-Known Member

I'm all for the one-click-one-nuke, but I think persistent area commands are still a vital alternative for players with 10+ nuke silos and lots of fabbers. The two are by no means mutually exclusive. I may want my nukes to not just blast the enemy base this once... I may want to them to continue blasting every time a new nuke is ready because my goal is to deplete his anti-nuke reserve.

edit: additional thought.
  14. KNight

I just don't see the need for area commands on Nucks. I will admit that past a certain number of Nucks/Area you want to attack, an area commander would be quicker, but I feel like that advantage does not off set the disadvantage of lack of accuracy, control and dealing with the fact that bases aren't always circles/lines.

1 Click = 1 Nuck might be slower with more Nucks, but it's also likely to be faster with fewer and you get full accuracy/control. Combined with some graphic to note is full area of effect(as per SupCom:FA) and one could quickly and easily plot out where one whats thier Nucks.

Mike
  15. TheDeadlyShoe

TheDeadlyShoe Member

howabout stealing a page from World in Conflict:

Add a "Strategic Weapons" UI popout that shows up when you have nukes (or Halley asteroids?) available.

This popout has a button labeled with the number of available nukes. Click the button and click a target and the closest nuclear silo will launch a nuke.
    corteks and Pendaelose like this.
  16. tatsujb

actually I think that's what's already going on. Currently we get notified for "nuck launcher finished" but i think they just kind of forgot "nuck finished" which was probably the original intention.

I didn't create a thread on that matter, I believe they'll add it in yet.
  17. overwatch141

overwatch141 Active Member

I really hate to be the guy to say this but: nucks = ???? nukes = things that make a big boom

I think this thread has been overdiscussed. 1 click = 1 nuke is cool and very useful. Maybe add something so you could see how many nukes you have ready for launch.

BUT.
    A strategic weapons UI element wouldn't be useful just because how many nukes/asteroids are you going to have at a time in a normal game? Not enough to justify having a whole menu for.

Area attacks for nukes are also not useful. Do you really want nukes to cover a huge area? Or do you want to take out 1 specific target? Even if you wanted to nuke a bug area, the 1 click 1 nuke feature would help a lot.
  18. Macitar

Macitar New Member

Would this not be achievable through the existent "hold fire" command?

Put all nukes into a single control group, set them to hold fire, queue up your attack placement with the proposed smart casting, then set them to fire at will?
  19. TheDeadlyShoe

TheDeadlyShoe Member

it's m ore than possible for dozens of nukes to be thrown around in a game, this wil be a major possibility in multi-planet starts.

also you could throw laser sats in there; right now it's a pain in the *** controlling the things.
    corteks and Pendaelose like this.
  20. slow0

slow0 New Member

I just believe one click one nuke zoom in out pick target zoom in zoom out just take way to much effort esp when u got like 12 to 20 nukes qued