Concerns About New Orbital Mechanics

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by brianpurkiss, January 10, 2014.

1. OathAlliance

OathAlliance Well-Known Member

I've actually seen umbrellas successfully take down orbital fighter in motion, also, umbrellas looked to be a basic unit and cheaper. So you should be able to build quite a few of them.

Most likely we'll see more stuff to come, so like everyone else, be patient.
  2. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I find a weaker avenger and a fundamental base of other orbitals being launchable by orbital launcher is a fair idea. A change to the surface-to-orbital weaponry as well. I wouldn't even mind if they had a (meter) of (energy charge) that they had to consume steady energy to recharge a shot, and their rate of doing that gave them a shot every 15 seconds, but then give them hitscan and immediate locking and the range of old antinuke. That way they DEFINITELY shot things and secured orbital, but it would be very consuming for it whereas on scale you could still get partial results with less of them.

Or, instead of a launchable avenger, make a launchable stationary attack satellite?
    Last edited: January 10, 2014
    Pendaelose likes this.
  3. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

A better approach then just an umbrella buff (but we need the umbrella buff anyways) would just be to backtrack and make them be built by the orbital factory.
    BTW I thought we were going to have these balance debates in the Balance thread by Scathis. what's going on here?
    kayonsmit101 and stormingkiwi like this.
  4. WwAiRtRhIiOnR

WwAiRtRhIiOnR New Member

Why not making orbital units similar to planetary units?
    Spaceship yard: producing fighting units and fabricators
    Fabricator: producing (geo)stationary structures like
    - Energy plant (= solar satellite)
    - Mass extractor (only on gas giants)
    - anti-orbital guns
    - anti-planetary guns (inverse umbrella)
    - Advanced spaceship yard
    Advanced spaceship yard: producing advanced fabricators and fighting units
    Advanced fabricators: producing Advanced stationary structures
    The orbital launcher as a small building that when is builded waits till it gets an "launch" order
    The launch destroys the launcher and sends one fabricator to space
    And maybe an ground launcher working as an inverted orbital launcher and sends a fabricator down to the planet

Than you can clear some orbital space with umbrellas hitting moving targets and launch a fabricator

Maybe can we get also some advanced "amphibious" units (not land/naval but air/orbital)
  5. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

Hmph. . Seems pretty darn fishy to me.

We'll see what happens.
    beer4blood likes this.
  6. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Orbital fighters are mean to be ground launched so the OP is misinformed.
  7. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

In the playtest Avengers weren't a buildable by the launcher. They were instead built by orbital fabricators in space.

That means y'all have changed it since that playtest. Or it was a bug. or something.

So my thread was justified.

Edit:

Screenshot.

[​IMG]

No Avenger. And later in the video, Avengers are built by Orbital fabricators.

The video:
    Last edited: January 13, 2014
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  8. Arachnis

Arachnis Well-Known Member

brianpurkiss likes this.
  9. beer4blood

beer4blood Active Member

Hmmm...... dev vs dev input ready go!!!!
    brianpurkiss likes this.
  10. wienerdog4life

wienerdog4life Active Member

Guys, go home. There's no need to express any concerns with the game. It's beta, guys. How did we not know?
  11. Arachnis

Arachnis Well-Known Member

Sry, misplaced post

Eidt: We should be able to delete our own posts.
  12. bradaz85

bradaz85 Active Member

No need for the sarcasm, my point was people are complaining about a said feature before the games even finished let alone even tested it for themselves..
  13. Grazgul

Grazgul Member

I don't see how forcing players to build an orbital launcher is going to stop the orbital fighter rush. All it does is add a small fixed cost to fighters. It's not going to stop you from getting camped.

In fact, wouldn't being able to build orbital fighters with fabs actually be a better solution to orbital fighter camping???

• You can build multiple fighters at once without having to build a million stations, meaning you can get a good mass going before the engagement
    • You can build them away from where the camping fighters are, forcing the player to either camp your station and let you build up fighters elsewhere, or come and camp your fighters, allowing you to launch your astreaus
  14. wienerdog4life

OH! So we're supposed to complain after the game is completed. Got it, baby.
  15. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

No. The situation is, with one orbital fighter, you can prevent your opponent from getting anything into orbit. Simply place one orbital fighter over your opponent's orbital launcher and they can now no longer get anything into orbit.

We need to be able to build and launch orbital fighters from the ground.

By your reasoning, we might as well close down the forums and never talk about changing anything in the game until after it's released.

This was a very valid concern based on something that was seen in a playtest from Uber. There's nothing even really to play. By simply having an understanding of game mechanics, we can deduce that the changes they made were poor, or a mistake. One way or another, it needs to change back.

We don't need to test those mechanics to know that they are bad.
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  16. bradaz85

bradaz85 Active Member

Funny! Isn't it coming in the next beta build patch?
  17. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

Correct.

Its uh... part of the testing. No idea is perfect.

Pretty fair to assume that anything we see in playtests is likely the direction that Uber is taking it.

Edit: err... wow. Second stuff up from my computer today. Amazing.
    Last edited: January 14, 2014
  18. ledarsi

ledarsi Post Master General

The problem is the Avenger itself. I guarantee it will be the SupCom ASF all over again unless the Avenger is substantially redesigned. Only in this case, much worse due to how expensive anti-orbital weapons are currently, and how nothing else will work except "moar Avenger!"

Essentially the Avenger is just like a fighter, but it happens to exist on a higher level with a different targeting profile than even air units. Even assuming aircraft are designed so their speed and targeting profile doesn't make them blobbable, it is still possible with Avengers.
  19. wienerdog4life

On subject: I think that umbrellas should shoot tracking missiles, much like the AA missiles, to hit orbital fighters.
  20. demon99a

demon99a Member

Exactly! the anti-orbital weapon needs to cost less and become more accessible to counter the camping avengers strategy and as for camping avengers in other planets we can wait for the orbital cannon launcher to be added. (which in the trailer shoots bots from one planet to the others surface without contacting the orbital zone)