"Annihilated" requirement Change and Commander Explosions

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by emraldis, January 10, 2014.

1. garatgh

garatgh Active Member

Sigh, for those saying "its annihilation not assasination, and its allredy planned" read his whole post again then think for a moment.

What hes suggesting dosent change the victory condition that much (its a minor change). But it does prevent you from ignoring your defenses just to get the last hit on a enemy commander.

For example, the current game allows you to complete ignore a enemy army stomping through your base if you can instead just get that last hit on the enemy commander (bombers perhaps). Resulting in a instant win.

Using his suggested change, that wouldent work the same, since said army would still perform the last given command (attack move perhaps) a few seconds after their commanders death. Perhaps resulting in a draw instead since you didnt defend your base.

The problem i see with the idea is that mostly the game wont be in such a situation. In many games you have allredy taken out all of his military units when the commander dies, or the military units are on another world or havent been given a attack order. In those situations it would just be a unessesary extra 20 second wait... Seems rather dull and annoying if it happens every time.

If a way can be found to solve that problem the idea would perhaps work. (I like the idea since its a bit more realistic then the current system and a kill from the grave is allways nice, but it needs some work).

When your commander dies (in the current game) all your units (on every world) dies in a random order (Looks a bit like fireworks, its glorius), what hes suggesting is simply delaying said explosions (and the "game over") a bit and making it so that the units die in a order sorted by the distance to the commander (the closest ones die first). There shouldent be any problems implementing that particular part of his idea (I might as well add that that particular part of the idea might not even be nessesary).
    Last edited: January 10, 2014
  2. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

It does change the victory conditions in a way. Who's the winner? The first to destroy the enemy Commander? What's the point of everything after that if there is already a winner? If the Commander dying determines the winner what is the extra 20 seconds accomplishing?
  3. garatgh

garatgh Active Member

I assume this post is directed mostly at me:

Yes it does change the victory condition, i never said it didnt. I just said that the change is minor. The "winner" would be the commander left standing once those 20 seconds are up (in a 1 vs 1). If no commander is left standing it would be a draw.

Its basicly just for those situations when your completely outplaying someone and your in the process of annihilating his base, but he manages to do a last desperate com snipe in the last second. Those situations would often (not allways) end up in a draw instead of the sniper being the winner (since your army would continue a bit after your commander was sniped).

But as i said in my previus post, there are some problems with said idea that needs working out for it to be even viable.

(and while i personaly like it, i image aloot of people wouldent).
  4. iron420

iron420 Well-Known Member

I think we should have Sub commanders and the game should go until all enemy commanders and sub commanders are dead.
  5. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

Thank you, that is what I meant. I put this thread up so that I could try to sort out issues with the Idea, and see how well people liked it. Thanks for helping me clarify!
  6. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

But you army doesn't instantly explode.

Only a few blow up at a time, so you really can make it a draw with a double snipe.
  7. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

I know, I just think that it would be a more realistic effect if the exploded in an expanding sphere pattern that centered around the commander.
  8. beer4blood

beer4blood Active Member

Idk about that crazy slow explosion, doesn't make sense. They're dead already but get just a few seconds more??? Utterly pointless. However I did occasionally play total annihilation matches, on TA and they can be fun. Tracking down that last sub or bot or whatever can be annoying but if that's all they have it's pretty safe to say the game is ov. I'm for a complete elimination mode but not you're description sorry.r