Dedicated Server doesn't allow Connections

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat PC Dedicated Server Discussion' started by Brett, January 19, 2011.

1. Brett

Brett New Member

I posted this on the Steam forums, but it is probably better suited here.

After a lot of work today I managed to get Monday Night Combat working with our Game Panel quite well (TCAdmin) but for some reason no one can actually connect.

When I click to join the server, it starts to connect then says "Your Connection to the Host has been Lost".

The machine has the latest DX Redistributable as well as PhysX (Wouldn't start without this for some reason) installed, and the server stays running, so I am at a loss.

*Edit*

Looks like in the Server Console when I start it with a batch file I get the following error despite having -STEAM_DEDSERVER in the command line.

Failed to load Steam ServiceBOpenService failedServiceStart: failed to startDevOnline: Refreshing Published Game Settings...
  2. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

Ok woah I am not up on that computer lingo but this same thing is happening to me now, since Update 5.

The game boots up just fine, I can play solo blitz fine I can even look for a room to join for multiplayer. When I choose to enter a room I get the same error:
    • "Your Connection to the Host has been Lost"
      "You will return to the main menu"

Like I said I don't know **** about computers and so any help and/or fix here would be great!
  3. UberGaf

UberGaf Uber Alumni

One thing that can cause this is if the Server doesn't have it's port forwarding set up correctly. If you don't have both UDP and TCP enabled on 7777-7778, for example, the server will be listed in the server browser, but not joinable.

For reference, I open both TCP and UDP on the following ports; 7777-7780, 27000-27050
  4. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

5. Brett

Brett New Member

uberGaf: Windows Firewall isn't even turned on right now, and this is a colocated machine so it has no router. It looks like the Steam decoupling from the server files was a fail.
  6. grimbar

grimbar New Member

It's easy considering something a fail just because you are incapable of setting it up innit?
  7. Brett

Brett New Member

Well considering the server is outputting steam errors, I wouldn't consider my thought process to be too far off base. Obviously I might be wrong, but from what the other guy setting these up with me has said, it works for him when he has steam running and doesn't when he closes it.

My service_log.txt is full of "Failed to load Steam Service (3)" errors.

What pre-reqs does the server have to run? I have installed DX Redist, PhysX, vc80 redist, and vc90 redist.

My command line is...

server HostileLobby?game=HostileGame.HGameInfo_PreGameLobby?bIsLanMatch=False?bIsDedicated=True?ServerDescription=TEST?bAllowJuicePurch=True?bAllowBotPurch=True?bAllowHazards=True?bAllowMascot=True?bAllowCustomClass=True?bAllowChangeClass=True?bForceRndClass=False?bAllowTeamSelect=True?bAutoBalance=True?MatchDuration=2?OTDuration=2?ClassLimitGunner=6?ClassLimitTank=6?ClassLimitAssault=6?ClassLimitSupport=6?ClassLimitAssassin=6?ClassLimitSniper=6 -ServerInstance=0 -log=DedicatedServer.log -STEAM_DEDSERVER -multihome=75.102.40.195
  8. UberGaf

UberGaf Uber Alumni

A) Are you sure you're using files updated from Sunday's (1/16/10 ) build?

B) Can you verify that there is a steam_appid.txt in your win32 folder?

Thanks!
  9. Brett

Brett New Member

A) Yeah, I installed the game from Steam last night, then ran the mnc.exe to get it to update the files.

B) Yeah there is, content is "63200"

Thanks for the help! Hope to get this working, got 13 locations worldwide to put servers up at :)
  10. dustoff

dustoff New Member

Decoupling steam from he server was not a fail. I have many servers up with out a problem. You can run steam if you want but they added the command so you dont have too.

Are you moving the server instance along on each server you start ?
  11. Brett

Brett New Member

Sorry, I suppose Fail was harsh. I have been tinkering with this off and on since yesterday afternoon and its getting to be about bedtime :shock:

Right now, the server that I am using for trying to fix whatever issue this is, is alone on the machine (I removed the other ones) so -ServerInstance=0 should be fine.
  12. Brett

Brett New Member

I am still unable to get this to work. Even with the latest files there seems to be an issue. When I am dropped now it says "Your Connection to the Host has been lost". Still no Firewall running, when I run it with a bat file instead of TCAdmin, it doesn't say anything about me trying to connect.

Also, it looks like in the update the Hostname of my server was changed to "2", and the Max players on the browser shows as 0. How do I get these to show up properly?

*Edit*

Here is the full log of when the server starts in case this helps at all.

http://pastebin.com/P09DxFSc
  13. Ekanaut

Ekanaut Uber Alumni

Sounds like you're running an older version. What's your version #?

Also, lets start simple. Are you able to run a dedicated server by going into the game, selecting "Dedicated" and see if it shows up in the Internet tab?

If this doesn't work, your ports aren't setup right or there's an issue with your router.
  14. Brett

Brett New Member

I am not able to start the game as this is a dedicated machine in a datacenter.

The DedicatedServer.log says Version: 5697

There is no router (in a datacenter) and no firewall running.
  15. Ekanaut

Ekanaut Uber Alumni

The game was patched last night. Are you able to run the game through Steam on another machine to check the version number?
  16. dustoff

dustoff New Member

Brett .

Are you running any other servers on the box ?I ran in to the same problem when I first tried to start a server .

I am showing the same verison number.
  17. Brett

Brett New Member

Currently there are no other servers on the box. And yeah, this is the latest version. I even redownloaded the entire game from Steam and updated the files with them just in case.