Cause of the lackluster impression

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by plasmafired, January 7, 2014.

1. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

Im not good with satire and sarcasm from written text on the internet .... i r ashamed of myself :(

If he were a propper rtt player he also wouldnt look at the graphics or animation
    but the success of the actions of his troops as well as the execution of said actions

There is a far more specific word for people like that ... but i am not gonna call it
    Last edited: January 7, 2014
  2. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

No biggy, I got suckered in massively a fortnight ago with some satire about the new Pope.
  3. KNight

KNight Post Master General

There are lots of assumptions here, so lets talk about some of them.

First off, Uber =/= Relic
    Obviously they're different companies that see and do things in different ways but even beyond that you need to consider funding and such, Relic had THQ backing them 2004-2013(and I'm sure Games Workshop had some hand in the DoW games as well) where as Uber did Crowdfunding along with thier own investment.

Secondly, 40K IP =/= PA's IP.
    Lets face it, simply recreating something based off of mountains of reference material that is being provided to you by Games Workshop is a heck of a lot easier than coming up with everything yourself. Obviously this isn't anything drastic like trying to say its twice as easy or anything but it is easier, and Relic probably had a lot more funds to manage it all.

Graphics VS Aesthetics
    Lets make sure we're all working with the same definitions. Because the reality is that while PA and DoW clearly have different Aesthetics, Graphically they aren't nearly as far apart as you might imagine, if anything I'd even say that is terms of raw graphical capability PA has a much higher theoretical "ceiling" than DoW. Heck, this one time in SupCom:FA I had 16+ million Triangles on screen strictly in units;
    [​IMG]
    That is 1000 of my Basilisk, a Unit containing over 16,000 tris each. Sure PA might not be ready for something like his yet, after all they're still doing a lot of work on the back end but maybe this will give you an idea of how Jon and the other GPG and Cavedog veterans go about things.

Mike
    MrTBSC, drz1 and EdWood like this.
  4. MrTBSC

*looks at knights pic* mother of the machinegod :eek:
  5. paperthinarmor

paperthinarmor New Member

Graphics < Gameplay, ESPECIALLY in a tactical or strategic simulation like PA. If you're so concerned with the shiny, save your replays and watch them later. Like other posters have said in the thread, you shouldn't be watching a single tank blast away at a mex because the effects look awesome while your base is being raided half a map away. You need to focus on the strategic picture. In chess, you don't look at the intricate carvings on the knight while you let your king fall into checkmate, do you?
  6. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

I think the general consensus is, most people (here, at least) don't agree with you, and the game probably isn't going to be for you. That kind of sucks for you, but you have to accept that the majority of players are going to be happy with lower graphics as a sacrifice for epic scale (which, to be fair, was exactly what Uber said they were going to do from the start). Again, I love the STYLE of the game, which is enough for me!
  7. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

The reason a lot of your posts haven't been approved, as you would know if you had read my private message, is that your overall tone and behavior has been aggressive, and pretty nasty.

We encourage discussion, we encourage disagreement. We don't encourage people coming in who have zero interest in the game or the community and do what, as far as I can tell, basically troll the community who IS invested in trying to make a better game.

We encourage new people to stay, whether they own the game or not, but if your current posting attitude is indicative of your overall approach to discussion, this is not the forum for you.
    pownie, shootall, ghost1107 and 7 others like this.
  8. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

The best I can do for you is agree that maybe they should put in to the corner a tiny window that opens up, and closest zoom, of notifications that pop up in the notifications list. Like commander destructions, armies encountering engagement, turrets under attack, enemy nuke discovered...

Besides that, it is hard to feel that the game could have highly detailed and realistic graphics, and not come off as "hard to read" from a medium range of what is going on at all, while currently the graphics aren't amazing but are visually signature for everything considering you will absolutely need to zoom really high to see a blob of units or a half-planet-sized base.
  9. cobycohodas

cobycohodas Member

Oh man. The OP is an ultratroll.
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  10. BradNicholson

BradNicholson Uber Employee Uber Alumni

Criticism's cool. We like feedback. But when you engage with folks you gotta stay respectful. Cool it a little, bro.
    stormingkiwi and drz1 like this.
  11. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Let me let you in on a little secret.

The game is in beta.

It's not yet complete.

They're going to make it look better.
  12. Slamz

Slamz Well-Known Member

Every RTS is like this. Sins of a Solar Empire looked pretty nice when you zoomed all the way in.

But you never played that way because it was bloody useless. You played zoomed out so far that every ship was a speck.

If you want to play PA zoomed in, you can, just like SupCom. With rare exception, you never want to do this, though, because the game isn't played on a zoomed-in scale commanding 5-6 units. Show me an RTS that looks awesome and I'll show you an RTS built around combat between less than 20 units.
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  13. MrTBSC

Homeworld when it came out looked amazing imo ....
    startrek armada looked good afair
    aswell as conflict frontierwars ...
    There wasnt much animationwise though on any of them
    however metalfatigue had some nicelooking combot fighting animations though the asthetics were ... meh ....

Needless to say i played all those singleplayer only ... so yeah i took my time looking at stuff

On a sidenote .... generals 2 .... *sigh*
  14. EdWood

EdWood Active Member

Well, I think PA looks great and SC1 and FA still looks awesome after all these years.

If there is a bit of lackluster in PA, it is in my opinion because the units die too quickly... we are missing some nice laser graphics, also for example, for the Umbrella, a beam would look so much better I think.
    Another reason for me is that all units die in this cloud/dust animation... if there would be something more like an explosion everything would change drastically.

I think there only need to be a few tweaks here and there... the foundation of this game is already pretty much awesome.
  15. plasmafired

plasmafired New Member

You should really quit with the unbelievably tiresome and nonsensical false dichotomy of gameplay vs graphics.
    First of all, animations are far more important than graphics because they make everything alive, as the word itself suggests, the whole medium of video gaming is pinged on animations.
    Secondly, gameplay is inherently influenced by visuals and animations in every way.
  16. lapsedpacifist

lapsedpacifist Post Master General

I wish this forum cared a little less and just let threads like this sink to the bottom where they belong.

There is not constructive discussion to be had here, hell, there isn't even an issue to be discussed, just one angry guy (troll?) complaining.

Let it slide and stop posting, we'll all be better off for it.
    aevs likes this.
  17. byrnghaer

byrnghaer Active Member

While having a point, Plasmafired is right too. I never really got into SupCom because everything felt too clean and sterile. It to me felt without character, which while definitely not being the most important thing ever, certainly does help to engross people into a universe and the game.
    I got PA because while at that same risk, the new art style gave it more style and character, making it more enjoyable for me to watch. I still end up always zoomed out though, but once in a while you just want to zoom in and watch the glory.
  18. uncrustable

uncrustable New Member

I don't like game "A", but instead of just going and playing game "B" (which better suites my style), im going to go to the game "A" forums and rant about how i don't like game "A".

Then when i receive counter points to my pointless rants, i will really start getting PO'd.

By the way, i like cheerios and HiC.
  19. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

I hope you realise that everything in PA is mechanical.

As in; not alive.

Do animations matter in motorsport games? I mean, once you have the wheels spinning at the right speed, you can't get much more lifelike than that.
  20. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

Although I hate to respond to such a thread, I feel I need to set something straight. Dawn of war quite clearly did not have "better" animations than PA. I would know, I played DOW for years, dark crusade to be exact. I did not once see a factory actually build its units in the same interesting way that PA does, I have never seen units simply "walk off of" structures until PA came along. Sure DOW had some nice idle animations and a lot of other animations that PA didn't but that's because DOW had:

a) More units

b) Non-robot units, so it makes sense that they would have idle animations

c) Worse texture quality and detail than PA in general

Also, if you think graphics define gameplay, go back and play starcraft 1 for a bit. That game was incredibly popular and a well-rounded RTS for its type. Did it have amazing graphics? no.

I don't think that more visual aesthetic in PA is a bad thing, seeing more idle animations and general graphics improvements would be great, but I don't think that they are required for the game to be fun. They will come when the unit roster improves and more animations are necessary, because there will be more units that need them. Eventually we might get some more "livelihood" in our units, but There is no need to rush it.