BRIDGES and TUNNELS

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by ace902902, January 6, 2014.

?

do you agree we should be able to biuld Bridges over cracks, and drill tunnels through mountains?

Poll closed January 20, 2014.
  1. yes

50.0%
  2. no

50.0%
  1. ace902902

ace902902 Active Member

don't you hate when your units take forever to get around a mountain range, or a large crack in the ground?
    why not make bridges and tunnels a n option to build. they could even be destructible, allowing for sneak attacks and destroying multiple high value units at once. this would also fix the t2 bomber spam problem by hiding inside mountains.

what do you think, yes or no?
    warrenkc likes this.
  2. KNight

KNight Post Master General

I'd rather see the terrain having a proper impact instead of being so easily circumvented. If time is of the essence you'd be better off using air transports or faster units.

Mike
  3. Culverin

Culverin Post Master General

I'd actually like to see bridges over water as part of the map.

It could then be used towards the effect of "control points" on a metal planet.
    Something like controlling a canal, so the enemy must take it from you to send naval through.
  4. quigibo

quigibo Member

I would like to be able to build a bridge over a crack but not drill a hole into a mountain.
  5. Dementiurge

Dementiurge Post Master General

Structures designed to be pathable would be interesting. Bridges, highways, garages, etc.
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  6. WarriorServent

WarriorServent Member

All I can think of is this scenario: I have just finished building a tunnel under a mountain to get behind my enemies defenses when he notices it after I have sent most of my army into it, he then bombs both ends of my tunnel, trapping or destroying my army there, and then goes to happily to crush my defenseless base. or: I have just finished building a bridge across an ocean to get behind my enemies defenses/get my troops there faster, he then destroys both ends of the bridge with many units on it, and then picks off the survivors with artillery, navel, bombers, or for the overachiever, an asteroid strike.

I think that it has promise as an idea, but it would also be hard to balance/include in the game. I more like the idea of having platforms that you can build on the water, that you can then build on, therefor allowing you to build vehicles even if you are trapped in the ocean. (for those of you wondering how that would work, I am thinking about building up a large land force before using the yet to be implemented air transport to move them)
  7. arthursalim

arthursalim Active Member

I like the idea because it is balanced "don't like your enemy building a bridge? Bomb it and destroy it" ads a lot of strategy and makes the game more diversificated however bridges must not be able to build over oceans as well tunnels cannot be build over large chucks of mountains
  8. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

E
    Earth 2150 had this.

Terrain actually had a lot of impact in that game.

Oh, and in real life terrain has a proper impact, and you know. Military engineers have to deploy bridges and so on.
    ainslie likes this.
  9. KNight

That's great for that other game and IRL, but what about PA?
  10. stormingkiwi

You can't walk across a river, unless you build a bridge.

So yep. Would still have impact.
    /bBecause you then can destroy the bridge...
  11. arthursalim

arthursalim Active Member

Agreed
  12. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

I dunno about buildable... But it could be a cool addition.
  13. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Bridges - Yes.

Tunnels - Ehhh, not really.

Underground units - hell no!
  14. bradburning

bradburning Active Member

I like the idea of building bridges but I cant think about how impossible it would be to do it over water if you do not already have naval superiority and if you do its probably just going to be easier to power nuke the enemy back to the stone age rather than making a bridge.

I believe the need for this will be resolved with the full unit roster e.g. amphibious units (which they have talked about maybe doing) and units that can either jump cracks or air units that can land like a viking in sc2. Also don't forget air transports. So yeah I hope that these things make the need for bridges and tunnels it redundant.
  15. KNight

Or you bring Amphibious Units that can cross that water.

Mike
    bradburning and brianpurkiss like this.
  16. stormingkiwi

Amphibious units can't cross cracks.
  17. KNight

Air Transports can, not to mention some kind of potential Jumping/Jetpack unit.

I'd rather see this kind of utility inherent to units instead of using the same units all the time with a "helper" mechanics.

Mike
  18. bradburning

bradburning Active Member

But jump dox can! or we just use troop transporters to get across.
  19. Telvi

Telvi Member

I disagree with this option. Because for me it isn't necessary to build bridges or a tunnel. There are faster units. Maybe it where better to have a bots with a jump engine to jump over a crack or a small water area.

For the strategy or the ballance its not worth talking about.
  20. Ringworm

Ringworm Active Member

It's a long time since I saw any of it in action, but there were map options where
    tunnels and bridges could be utilised, if you installed some files from Tamec.