Do We Need Gentleman's Rules Anymore?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by brianpurkiss, January 2, 2014.

1. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Most new players don't even know what the Gentleman's Rules are.

Walls have had some balancing. I don't even think the wall reclaim exploit is a thing anymore.

So do we need the 1 wall per tower rule anymore?

Do we need to any Gentleman's rules anymore? Do we need to adjust them?
  2. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Personally I don't care about them anymore. They were meant to yield a playable game when we could place mex everywhere. They were also meant to be used in the gentlemens ladder, which is prettty much dead.
    By now the game enforces all rules for the most part. Exploits exist, but it "do not cheat" kinda is a basic rule that should always apply.
  3. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

I think people should do away with the no wall spam mindset. They're expensive and don't have huge amounts of HP, we should be playtesting whether they're really OP any more.
    zihuatanejo, elwyn, siefer101 and 3 others like this.
  4. brianpurkiss

I agree. Just kinda a generic "don't use exploits" is probably good enough at this point.

I am very curious to see how walls play out.
  5. BradNicholson

BradNicholson Uber Employee Uber Alumni

Yeah, we'd love to hear your guys' feedback on these.
    zihuatanejo and brianpurkiss like this.
  6. Dementiurge

Dementiurge Post Master General

The only gentleman's rule you need is not to play on multi-planet systems.
    That inter-orbital layer...
  7. brianpurkiss

Heh, yeah, I personally don't play on multi planet systems right now. Simply too many issues due to an Orbital layer.
  8. WarriorServent

WarriorServent Member

Hi, um to prove your first point, what are the Gentlemans Rules?
  9. mrqasq

mrqasq Member

I'd like them to be upgradeable as they are quite well for begin, but their value goes down with t2. Also I'd like them to be faster to build, or build in modules like in RedAlert ;)

I think (guessing) that they play via some sort of a forum from SupCom, and they made their own rules for the Alpha, were game was to broken to be played :)
  10. mrqasq

mrqasq Member

nvm
  11. brianpurkiss

They were a set of rules amongst players to keep players from using certain exploits and unbalanced mechanics during Alpha and early Beta.

You can read more here: https://forums.uberent.com/threads/pa-beta-gentlemens-ladder.48472/

I don't think Brad was wanting your opinion on walls, but rather, the gentleman's rules.

They definitely need to not be faster to be built or they'd be OP like they were during Alpha and early Beta.

It's also a known thing that buildings won't be upgradeable.
  12. mrqasq

mrqasq Member

I am hoping on a precedent that happend some time ago where big game maker said something in public, and than just "changed" it's mind :)
  13. brianpurkiss

The game is pretty well built around the concept of buildings not being upgradeable. Choosing when to step up to Advanced and whether you should build more Advanced factories or Basic factories is pretty well hardwired into the game. They're very important strategic decisions and I doubt it'll change. It's a really really good strategic component of PA.
  14. BradNicholson

BradNicholson Uber Employee Uber Alumni

Nah, I meant "these [new walls]." We tweaked them several times specifically because the balance was a bit off, so it'd be neat to get some more perspective as they are now.
    tatsujb, stormingkiwi and mrqasq like this.
  15. boylobster

boylobster Active Member

Ahhhaha, *awkwaaaaaard*...

I'm not a PA veteran by any means, but having watched way more PA casts than I should, I can say this: I don't think I've ever seen a high-level player use them. For that matter, in the matches I've played, I hardly ever see them, and it never occurs to me to build them myself, partly because of the above.

That doesn't necessarily mean they're not useful, of course - it could simply be that effective strategies and tactics utilizing walls have yet to be popularized. You guys can collect metrics on what people build and with what frequency, etc, right? Because of the ChronoCam tech, I guess I'd just assumed that mass gameplay statistics of that nature are available to Uber. A *lot* of interesting analysis could be done on that kind of aggregated info.
    tatsujb likes this.
  16. brianpurkiss

I think the veteran players don't use them because we're so used to not using them due to the gentleman's rules. I'm really interested in experimenting with them.
  17. dianalogue

dianalogue Member

I like walls, if I'm building a forward outpost thats kind of near their base and I just have 2 engineers on a build que over there, my last stop will be a short line of walls in front of my pelter and laser because why the hell not?
  18. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

The only reason I build walls nowadays is as an afterthought to make my pelters go that extra 4-5 tanks before getting taken down. Usually doesnt happen early game, because for three walls, you can usually build 2 tanks. Tradeoff there i suppose.

I deem them useful, as in better than nothing, but I still think they need a visual overhaul. :D

I want my walls to LOOK like you cannot get through them. ;)
  19. brianpurkiss

Hm....

An Ant costs 225 metal and a single wall costs 150 200 metal. Generally you need at least three walls for maximum effectiveness.

However, that does mean the defensive line generally will destroy more Ants than you could have built with the metal you invested in the wall.

So walls do seem like a good investment if you keep on getting attacked in the same spot.

But then again, in the long run, an offensive investment is better than a defensive investment.
    Last edited: January 3, 2014
  20. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

So I take it that the point of walls is to absorb fire and act as a force multiplier? How MMORPG in scope.