[WIP] Templates for Random System Generation [57703]

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by Dementiurge, December 7, 2013.

1. Dementiurge

Dementiurge Post Master General

Well I've clearly been in no hurry. Nonetheless, I bring a present! A new version that uses your saved systems instead of its own templates, and lets you load them exactly as they are, or with some randomization.
    PA_systemtemplatemod030.jpg
    Oh. While working on this I discovered that my other Planet Preview mod is doing some bad things in the scripting. I'll have to fix those later.

Attached Files:

Methlodis, emraldis and maxpowerz like this.
  2. gillza

gillza Member

An option for low ram systems would be welcomed back :)
  3. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

4. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

To save @Dementiurge some trouble, here is the repackaged mod. It's suitable for both v2 and v3 of PAMM.

Unzip in ~/.local/Uber Entertainment/Planetary Annihilation/mods (for Linux) or the equivalent for Windows or Mac OS. I forgot where those are exactly.

Attached Files:

Dementiurge likes this.
  5. gillza

gillza Member

Em, I am confused... I previously just dumped the content of the zip into ...PA/media/ui/mods/ There would be a folder for the mod. Then go to PAMM and just click enable and it worked, what seems to be the problem now?

Edit. NVM... the reason is the change in the modding system in the new build... Still don't understand the reason behind changing the mod folder location... just creates a mess imo
    Last edited: January 1, 2014
  6. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

The old mod location requires admin privileges in Windows to write to. Applications should not store user data in Program Files.
  7. ORFJackal

ORFJackal Active Member

A future PA version will also automatically revert all changes to the PA installation directory, to make sure that the game cannot be (permanently) broken by a mod.
  8. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I don't think that is the reason, you will still be able to break your game by having a mod in the mod directory that shadows game files with broken copies of them.
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  9. ORFJackal

ORFJackal Active Member

But you can fix it by removing the mod - it's not permanently broken. With the old system you would have had to reinstall the game or have backups of any files that were replaced by the mod.

I'm also hoping that the new shadowing system would allow shadowing files dynamically so that a mod can have a function that will take the original file as input and then output a modified version of the file (i.e. do a map operation on the files). For example if a mod changes some of the stats of the existing units, it wouldn't need to duplicate all the rest of the data that happens to be in the same files. That would allow also multiple mods shadowing/changing the same files.
    Last edited: January 1, 2014
  10. gillza

gillza Member

um maybe only for windows? I had no such problems on linux... just disable the mod in mod manager or remove from modlist file and nuke the folder for the mod. But anyway it could be system specific issues.
  11. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I am not that knowledgeable about Linux, but one of the things it does better than Windows is that it has a home-folder that is actually accessible with ease (and has no super obscure folder structure), so it makes a lot of sense to use that.

@ORFJackal:
    Question is what is "the old system", so far we only really had a UI-modding system. Which had a mods folder just in a place more close to the game itself.
    Sure if you mean by the old system that some mods just overwrote game files, yes the new ones prevents that.
    The Launcher as well as Steam have functions to validate the game and fix any broken files and they have worked at least for me without a flaw multiple times.
  12. gillza

gillza Member

Is this compatible with the latest build?
  13. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Try it out and let us know!
  14. Dementiurge

Dementiurge Post Master General

Should be. Not too much changed in the newgame/lobby pages. Be sure to get DeathbyDenim's version, since chances are you run PAMM. Just remember to run PAMM first so PAMM can strap it in.

I'd try it myself but I've been working on it and, well, if you've ever seen a construction zone or a patient in the midst of open heart surgery...
  15. gillza

gillza Member

Hmm so I am a bit confused... What is the difference between the "random system templates" and "Planet Preview Details" mod? Both point here.

Well anyway.. I installed the "Planet Preview Details" mod and dropped the *zip from above into the mods folder and all is working..