Stuck blue circle

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by metabolical, December 26, 2013.

1. metabolical

metabolical Uber Alumni

My brother is visiting, so of course I want to play PA. As he's played, I've seen a couple times when an area command highlight appears to get stuck on, even as he continues to select other units, do stuff, etc. It's very distracting.
    Sooooo, anybody know how to definitively reproduce this so I can give the steps to AwesomeNick?
    warrenkc and stormingkiwi like this.
  2. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

I haven't encountered that. :-/
  3. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

I have a suspicion - I can't play myself, because my internet isn't quite fast enough....

However, I know for sure that when you use control to display the range circles, if you open up the in-game bug reporter, it will treat range circles as toggled on. If you deselect that unit the range circle will disappear, if you select another unit their range circle will appear.

Therefore it could be based on something weird he is doing with ctrl or the function keys?
  4. duncane

duncane Active Member

I've had it happen to me too but can't see exactly how to reproduce.
  5. stormingkiwi

Possible reproduction:

It occurs when your brother hits capslock or holds down shift.

(I don't think this is the same issue)
    Last edited: December 26, 2013
  6. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

I had it happen when I started to set an area command and then left planet and canceled the command on the other planet.
    Haven't reproduced it yet though
  7. mishtakashi

mishtakashi Active Member

This has happened to me twice in two separate games and persisted for the duration of those games. Couldn't say what caused it sorry, just thought I'd let you now that it is happening a bit.
    warrenkc and stormingkiwi like this.
  8. mishtakashi

mishtakashi Active Member

9. stormingkiwi

Err... no....

My reproduction indicates that its because of the option to toggle the overlay of all the commands you have issued (I think it is referred to as "focus" in the game settings?)

I believe that the focus overlay was going to be tweaked anyway. . . (And it would be nice to have enough options that we customise it to our liking)

But yeah... you know the green arrows? And they appear when you hit "Capslock", disappear when you hit "Caps Lock"

That's the reason that the blue area command circles appear and disappear. For me anyway.

One of the Uber Devs posted in a topic... I'm sorry. I forgot who this was, but he had removed the "Always Show Focus" from the settings menu because it was messy. However it is still toggleable with Caps lock, which isn't displayed in the settings as an option.

http://pa.lennardf1989.com/Tracker/index.php?do=details&task_id=2859Have created an option in the tracker, just in case.
  10. boylobster

boylobster Active Member

Not a definitive repro, but I've had this happen loads, and I feel as thought it occurs more frequently (or possibly in all instances) when using area attack commands. For me, at least. Also, it can be gotten rid of by going into the Settings menu and immediately canceling. And like everything else in PA, only know that because I saw Zaphod do it in a video. Sigh. :rolleyes:
    elitedanzel likes this.
  11. stormingkiwi

Ok. Looks like it's a different bug.

Yup confirmed - I didn't actually reproduce this.
  12. elitedanzel

elitedanzel Active Member

@boylobster has it ^^
    I had this doing an area reclaim or attack, not sure which as I was mashing it wildly.
    And going to settings and back fixed it, also saw that in the zaphodx video :)
  13. boylobster

boylobster Active Member

Sigh... as soon as I open my big mouth... I just had this happen when issue an area command to build advanced mex with an advanced fabber bot. So my impression that it occurs more frequently with attack commands may be bunk. Back to the drawing board. :(
  14. dallonf

dallonf Active Member

That awesome moment when a developer reports a bug in their own game and asks for help from the community...
  15. gunshin

gunshin Well-Known Member

I kept hitting this bug when i was playing the other day, so when im able to later on tonight, i will look at reproducing steps and posting here, unless its already been posted by then.
  16. mrcossack

mrcossack New Member

Happened to me as well when i tried to put some fabs on repair around my base, not sure how to reproduce.
  17. Arachnis

Arachnis Well-Known Member

I don't think that it's reproduceable 100%. But it happens more often than not when giving fighters or other airplanes area attack commands. Also getting to the edge of the screen seems to screw things up sometimes, too.
  18. kongkillha

kongkillha Member

I just know that I can detach the blue circle from the curse by selecting a fabber and use the 'reclaim' function or any other area command and it disapears, but only with fabber. Can't detach it with attack units, but the trick with the fabbers detaches it permanently.
  19. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

It can be reproduced by selecting the Attack command and spamming a-moves, especially with planes (probably because with planes I often give a-moves at the edge of the planet).

A quick fix is to add this line:
    Code:
    api.arch.endAreaCommandMode();
    into live_game.js in line 925 at the beginning of the "endCommandMode" method

This has nothing to do with caps lock I think. The issue that this extra line of code resolves is that sometimes the blue selection gets stuck in the selection-process for an area attack and follows the mouse around even while doing other things.
    stormingkiwi, Raevn and tatsujb like this.
  20. Arachnis

Arachnis Well-Known Member

Btw there are other similar bugs to this, like sometimes when you select where to build something and then deselect, it can happen that the building's "white box" will still follow your mouse while you're doing other things.
    stormingkiwi likes this.