Teleporters

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by neutrino, December 20, 2013.

1. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Everything you describe is what I worry about. From what I've seen of moons/asteroids so far I doubt space is as much of a problem as you make it out to be.

It's like I said before, I'd much rather see a system where trying to do that is expensive and instead you need to actually think about what units you build where and how many you build.

Mike
  2. spicyquesidilla

spicyquesidilla Active Member

Well in the end it comes down how people will utilize the mechanics the developers implement. At this point our discussion is majorly opinionated.
  3. roja01

roja01 New Member

Ok, so first up... brilliant, looks amazing :p and while i also love the comparison to the operation of a stargate it doesn't seem like it is similar, besides the looks of the device. A Stargate is not tied to one other gate and you can only travel one way through an open wormhole. So are you saying it's bi-directional and only tied to another gate while it's turned on? Can you dial enemy built gates?
  4. ViolentMind

ViolentMind Active Member

Has Uber mentioned if Intra-Planetary teleportation will be possible? I would imagine that Teleporters could also be useful to transport large numbers of forces around on the same large planet as well....maybe between two teammates who are very far from each other. I could see this being viable, especially as planets get larger in scale. This ability would encourage team members to spawn in different areas, rather than in the same spawn point, as is common now for its defensive benefits.
    carlorizzante and stormingkiwi like this.
  5. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

I'd like for it to work that way look here.
  6. schuesseled192

schuesseled192 Active Member

I like these teleporters, but I still think there is room and a need for another teleporter type unit. A orbital transport that uses beam me up technology to store multiple unit's in it's teleporto buffer until it can deploy them onto the same planet / another planet. Expensive to build, easy to kill, drains a lot of energy to power it's beam.
  7. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

If you have a problem with stargates, just kill the stargate. That was hard. Eventually players will realize they can't lean on a single gate to solve all their problems.

It is not possible to restrict where a player can build the stargate nor which direction units can move. At least, the latter requires a second type of gate.

That's not a teleporter like... at all. That's a plain vanilla transport ship.

PA will need an interplanetary bulk transport. There's not much way to avoid it.
  8. verybad

verybad Active Member

What I think would be an interesting take on teleporters is if there were some variables.

The standard teleporter that Neutrino described in the first post. +

Core Gate. Capable of linking to multiple receiver nodes. This would of course be very expensive, and it would blow up like a nuke if destroyed (so don't build too near one)

Mobile Gate. This would be a large, slow unit that could only be build in orbit. It would be defenseless, but could land planet side and deploy. Makes getting a beachhead a more potential thing. Would also be capable of deploying in orbit in order to get orbital units between planets quickly. Deployment would not be a quick think (30 seconds?)

Indictor This would be a large slow orbital unit that would be capable of blocking about half a planet from teleporter use by enemies. It might have minor defensive weapons (say as much as a space fighter, but be much more expensive) While active, the Indictor would use a LOT of energy. They could cancel each other out as well.

I like the idea of orbital being a source of strategic movement, be it transport or teleporter based.
  9. Polynomial

Polynomial Moderator Alumni

10. EdWood

EdWood Active Member

11. RMJ

RMJ Active Member

Looks freaking amazing. i hope it will come with an equally impressive sound, like the stargate when it comes on. that VUSH svush sound.
  12. carlorizzante

carlorizzante Post Master General

Yeah, perhaps energy consumption should be related to the distance between the two gates.

So you could use it to go to an other planet, and it will cost way more energy. Or to an other system, and it will cost you a fortune :p
  13. BallsonFire

BallsonFire Active Member

can we have a commander named Jack O'neill?
  14. Bastilean

Bastilean Active Member

Ofcourse :p
    mered4 likes this.
  15. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

If he looks more like kurt russel than mcguyver yes
  16. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Stargates did have such a limit in sg1. But it really only started to matter for intergalactic stuff....

It might be a good idea to encourage island hopping gameplay
  17. ChickenEggroll

ChickenEggroll New Member

But..but...

0:20
  18. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

wrong game ;)
  19. tabrisangelus

tabrisangelus New Member

Orbital Gate?
  20. tabrisangelus