Please help AI is way too hard can't get orbital

Discussion in 'Support!' started by happyhorus, December 19, 2013.

1. happyhorus

happyhorus New Member

Hello, I'm new to the forum and the game.
    I am enjoying the truly epic scale of the game, except for the fact I am yet to win a game. In fact I am finding the AI so aggressive and hard to beat I have yet to be able to really practice because of the speed of which I am getting my rear handed to me :(
    I'm not the best gamer I'll admit, but can someone please tell me how to turn down the AI as I'm getting attacked hard on like 3 fronts inside 7 mins
  2. kaiso

kaiso New Member

For the time being, I would suggest using the AI income rate as a means to make the game easier. Once you understand how the economy works, and get comfortable with queuing up extensive work with units, the AI becomes very easy. Shift-click will build 5 of a unit instead of 1. Holding shift, you can queue up a build queue (grab 2 builders and queue up 15 metal extractors, for example).

Tutorials
  3. happyhorus

happyhorus New Member

Slowing down the income rate really help find the right balance to start with thank you.
    However I feel the issue lies with the way the AI itself works, I have (with the crono cam) watched the AI play and it can simultaneously command multiple units, while commanding an orbiter and carry out build functions.
    A human cannot keep up with the level of input the AI can I feel it needs limiting to one or two command function at a time. It would feel more like a player then and not a replicant assault.
    Just lowered the income rate a bit a managed a win but only through a tactical hold off, until I managed to double nuke their commander, but had it not left when it did I still would have been swamped.
  4. Slamz

Slamz Well-Known Member

My suspicion is that if you can't beat the AI, it's because you are doing something fundamentally wrong in your economy and early build order.

* Don't make more fabricator bots than you can afford to employ (they need lots of energy)
    * Claim every metal spot remotely near you. Don't worry overmuch about losing bots trying to do this, though you can build scout planes to help ensure you are running into an uncontested area
    * Radar is good but only if your energy levels stay up. If you let energy levels run too negative, radar turns off.
    * 1 Pelter with radar is an early game hammer of the gods

It's surprisingly how many people get those first two totally wrong. Metal spots right outside of their base and they still haven't claimed them, 10 minutes in, or they build 10 fabricator bots right off the bat and wonder why they're always radar blind and it takes forever to build anything.

I see this a lot because those people are usually on my team....

...and I hate them.
    drz1 likes this.
  5. Slamz

Slamz Well-Known Member

Oh, and just so you know, you can queue commands by holding shift. It's not hard to have numerous units executing many commands at the same time by queuing up orders for them.
  6. nixtempestas

nixtempestas Post Master General

If you are having a rough time, start on a earth/tropical world with a reasonably large amount of water (enough so there are no/few land bridges). This will seriously hinder the AI since it cannot yet build naval.
  7. Ortikon

Ortikon Active Member

I like the metal planets against ai because of the bridges and trenches. You can build focused choke points.
    Although I like my ai hard and there is a bit of work to still do to stay on top of them.
    Ther are also scaling options in the lobby, to change the rate of ai resource income. that is your best bet to start, and then crank it up gradually as you get used to it.
  8. Nullimus

Nullimus Well-Known Member

Watch some play videos to help you develop your initial build order. The first 5 minutes of a game can make a world of difference.
  9. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

The AI is not nearly finished. It will get a lot harder. However, we will eventually have more ways of limiting AI behavior so that you can tailor it to your skill level.
    drz1 likes this.
  10. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General