Two Beta Builds, and a Partridge in a Pear Tree (58678 & 58772)

Discussion in 'Support!' started by garat, December 19, 2013.

1. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

I'll do my best to reproduce it.

Edit: apparently already fixed. Nevermind.
    Last edited: December 19, 2013
  2. pivo187

pivo187 Active Member

Garat: patrol seemed to be working fine in latest build =) enjoy the holidays!!
    warrenkc and stormingkiwi like this.
  3. MCXplode

MCXplode Active Member

coherentui software mode has a refresh problem on linux, have to hit F11 fullscreen mode toggle to refresh the menu to get it to show and after every menu command to refresh the screen. F11 is the fullscreen key on mine can also use alt+enter. Also coherent using lot more cpu maxing out 2 cpus.
  4. SXX

SXX Post Master General

How do you even manage to make it work at all? For me Coherent in software mode just show black screen.

PS: Able to make it work with vblank_mode=0 and pressing Ctrl+P and F5 randomly.
    Still it's not working if I use MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=3.0FC :(
    Last edited: December 19, 2013
  5. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

i had some 2v2v2 yesterday and it was the first time i played with "air only" and it worked surprisingly well, even too good i'm afraid. Static anti air defenses aren't capable of defending against many bombers using carpet bombing, especially since they're static and cannot move to certain locations. Mobile anti air also is quite weak i guess, but it's working better since you can react.

I dont want to go that far, and say, that bombers are overpowered, as many players will have to adapt to the new threat from air first, but it might need a little rebalancing^^

Also the area attack vs hordes of tanks is devastating. So while Air can mass destruct ground, no ground unit can mass destruct air. I guess there should be a basic and advanced splash damage flak cannon, with a decent range and a decent cost.
    Or maybe even flarak, which I mean large missiles, low firing rate, but can get down a whole area of air at once.
  6. thetdawg3191

thetdawg3191 Active Member

OK. from what i'm reading here, the standard bomber doesn't do carpet style anymore, the advanced bomber's bombs are slower(?) but the bombers themselves can turn better. am i reading all this right? did i miss anything?

sorry, i don't speak programming that well.
  7. stormingkiwi

But a few fighters ruin bombers entire day. And I think T2 AA is still to come.
  8. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

yeah fighters, but you are forced right now to build air to counter air, its the only valid counter. whereas you are free to build ground structures, land or air to counter land. this is slightly imbalanced.
    Nayzablade, Quitch and stormingkiwi like this.
  9. stormingkiwi

That's true.

It is a good thing though - there wasn't a single war where ground AA dominated the skies. It does force you to get into the air.

I agree that the balance lies a bit too much in airs favor.

I'm not sure if its changed or not, but a few patches ago the draw ratio for bombers and ground AA was 1:1. (i.e. both would kill off the other). Personally I think that was a good ratio.

I do agree that there needs to be some AoE anti-aircraft land unit. AA wins heavily against fighters (but fighters still get the kill anyway if they've already fired missiles) but performs poorly against bombers.

But why would you ever build bombers?
  10. thetdawg3191

thetdawg3191 Active Member

just playtested the new bomber builds, and HOLY **** BOMBSPAM from the T2s..... anything below was pancakes...... on the other hand, T1 bombers cant even hit a moving tank......just fail, after fail, after fail. because now the bombs drop straight down.
  11. stormingkiwi

I have many kills from T1 bombers now. Experiment more.
  12. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

Yeah I believe Garat said that bombers are not intended for moving targets, and that if you are trying to bomb dox with bombers you need to restrategize. Won't be trying this patch until after Christmas which won't be so
    Bad if t2 bombers as op as several builds ago.
  13. aeonsim

aeonsim Active Member

Thanks Uber, appears to be working well on OSX.
  14. elitedanzel

elitedanzel Active Member

This build is awesome. I just played 3 games against (something)Panda and they were very enjoyable! Area build is fricken sweet, saves so much micro, I'm a much better player now :D
    T2 bombers dominate groups of tanks, so definitely need to watch out for them.
    Looking forward to playing more at the weekend :)

Again, Thank You Uber-devs for this Christmas build, enjoy your holidays and get some well deserved rest!!!
    pownie likes this.
  15. MCXplode

MCXplode Active Member

I have static-menu mod installed that might have something to do with it.
  16. stormingkiwi

@raevn

I have heard a rumour that the commander was nerfed in the last patch or so.

How true is that?
  17. Arachnis

Arachnis Well-Known Member

I think that it wasn't nerfed, but they rather fixed that the commander was unable to hit not-moving doxes before.
  18. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

I was hoping this hotfix would fix the crashes under Linux and open source (Intel) drivers.

But holy crap, optirun is now working with this hotfix (and proprietary NVidia drivers)!
    Code:
    [08:32:02.751] INFO OpenGL Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
    [08:32:02.751] INFO OpenGL Renderer: GeForce GT 650M/PCIe/SSE2
    [08:32:02.751] INFO OpenGL Version: 4.3.0 NVIDIA 325.15
    [08:32:02.751] INFO OpenGL Shader Language Version: 4.30 NVIDIA via Cg compiler

And no crashing either. That's a happy coincidence.

It would still be nice for the game to playable for SXX and others with the open source drivers though.
  19. carn1x

carn1x Active Member

I'm getting a lot of Server Disconnected errors. Is that error ambiguous or does it indicate the server crashed or just my connection died etc? I'm not being given the option to reconnect at any point.
  20. stonewood1612

stonewood1612 Well-Known Member

I don't know what you exactly did to it, but now my fps just went from meh to ABSOLUTELY GLORIOUS, getting 60+ all the time.:D

And bombers are once again OP. Just like they should be.

You guys are awesome! You really deserve that holiday now.