Uber Stretched Too Thin?

Discussion in 'Uber Entertainment Discussion' started by ASH, January 15, 2011.

1. BroTranquilty

BroTranquilty New Member

one quick thing. a lot of people like xbox gaming over pc because its carefree. come people play but dont know a good lot about pcs, and dont wana deal with them either (reguardless of a "idiotproof guide")

im not one of thsoe people, i wana get both versions, mod for the pc but play on the xbox.

there is another point. the xbox is a more balanced system (of course less options of gameplay). computer people may not need a whole lot of money compared to the xbox to get started, but some people abuse that "freedom" the pc gives you. they get the macros and the data manipulators and the aimbots and the other hacks. hacking on xbox is possible, but is at least 10x rarer. you can hack the hell out of some multiplayer pc games, i used to play stick figure arena and i made it to where i can shoot shotgun shells out of my fists! and C&C Renegade i had a pistol that can instantly heal or hurt anything in the game, be it a character or tank or landmine or even a purchase-terminal.

there is a reason people dont buy black ops for pc. DUH. its probably all hackers. all of them. some games are good on pc, some on xbox, and some on both. renegade would have been good on both, and so would this. personal servers and fan-mods on pc, public games and standard-equipment on xbox.

lastly, some people like keyboards and some people like controllers. dont say you can use a controller on pc, you know it isnt just that simple. else id play SSF4 on computer.
  2. lagosta

lagosta New Member

I have a USB 360 Controller that I use on my computer with Windows 7. All I do is plug the damn thing in and it works, the drivers are already integrated within the operating sytem, plug and play. Matter of fact, I have SSF4 and play it with the damn 360 gamepad!

Also, regarding cheating, a lot of titles use an anti-cheat system, VAC being the most effective. This system automatically detects cheaters and bans them, does you 360 do that?
    https://support.steampowered.com/kb_art ... -Radz-6869

I will agree with one thing. People can gain competitive edges over others with proper hardware and scripts.
  3. Hako

Hako New Member

Carefree? Apparently you haven't played an FPS on the 360 and haven't heard the 12 year old nerd rage symphony.
  4. BroTranquilty

BroTranquilty New Member

idk i just know there are a LOT of cheaters out there on pc. no, anti-hacks dont prevent them. they dont even prevent them as much as all of xbox360s blocks try to. some older xboxs can be jtagged, you put an operating system on it, you cheat and you change your console's serial if you are ever caught. on computer its just about as simple except the computer doesnt need any extra chips sautered in.

and idk, i too have a usb-type-s-controller, they are plug and play, yet they dont always function the same as they would on xbox. its not quite the same, maybe half-heartedly better. i also have a fightpad i play SFA2 on computer with, it never does half my imputs correctly, but its a free emulated game so i dont complain too much.
  5. OfficerFuttBuck

OfficerFuttBuck Active Member

Congrats on your first ever, readable post.
  6. Airwags

Airwags New Member

Perhaps I should have worded my last comment better. Yes, there are still a ton of PC gamers. My stats were to show that among games released on both platforms players seem to chose consoles more often than PC so StarCraft can't really be used in this circumstance. This isn't to say I dislike PC games or don't have respect for the PC gaming community I'm simply pointing out a trend that I have noticed, especially in shooter titles.

Nothin but love for PC gamers, without them we wouldn't even have consoles.
  7. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

Well, don't believe everything the Microsoft Marketing Mafia tells you. Just fire up Google and check their stats if they seem to be fishy. (And those stats didn't just smell, they reeked!)
    http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/sales/44 ... black-ops/
    There you go, close to a million sales in the first 9 weeks.

Add to this that the game scored an incredible 42% with the PC users due to bugs in the release version and the whole Infinity Ward PR catastrophe...

I don't think games sell bad on the PC, I think Black Ops left a lot to be desired. I played it an hour or two (a friend bought it) and I was not impressed.
  8. BroTranquilty

BroTranquilty New Member

so, why cant we have both again? cuz the second you take it off either, bam, outcry of the thousands of people who outright demand by threat of the life of the developer's children to resupport their medium of gaming.

ask team fort fans. to this day, they kick and scream over the drop of xbox360 support.
  9. Hako

Hako New Member

It's difficult to have both because Microsoft is greedy. It's the reason why TF2 doesn't get support, and why MNC won't get as much support as the PC. If they let Valve do what they wanted (Release free content) TF2 on the 360 would be as updated as the PC version, but MS wants to be able to make money.

I have an Xbox. I don't mind paying the $60 a year to play some games online. It has good match making and decent pick up and play. I started as a console gamer, actually. Then I got a good PC (And originally hated Steam till I started using it.) and haven't really touched consoles since. A lot of the games I play are pick up and play, then I have some that aren't. I just double-click a game on my list and it starts up either way. The console, you have find a game, put it in, wait for it to load (Takes longer depending on how old the system is) and then you can play.

The one thing the 360 has on the PC (In my opinion) is the 360 controller... which you can buy and use with your PC. Most 3rd party controllers are pretty worthless (I speak from experience).

That was a bit wordy. :(
  10. sensitivepsycho

sensitivepsycho New Member

I just want to say that I was gifted three games on Steam for Christmas - Just Cause 2, Killing Floor and Team Fortress 2. I have a mid-range PC. Only Killing Floor worked straight out of the box (so to speak), and Just Cause 2 still refuses to start. So, yeah.

I wish the Internet wasn't so silly. PC games have a more precise control system for FPS and RTS games, as well as shinier graphics. the whole modding scene and - generally - more updates.

Console gamers have ease of use, the comfort of playing from a sofa and more precise controls for platformers and the like. They also - generally speaking - have a far larger catalog of games to choose from.
  11. Deadpool FTW

Deadpool FTW New Member

Even though I am a console fanboy, Steam is probably one of, if not the biggest gaming communities in the world. It was a great decision and will more than likely result in Uber making a profit. That, and maybe some great map maker up in the heavens will make new maps so beautiful Uber will have to port them to the 360.

(hint hint.)
  12. XyzKiller

XyzKiller New Member

Don't forget HDMI for PC users :)

Map Editor & unlimited amounts of Free DLCs here we come!
  13. Polynomial

Polynomial Moderator Alumni

Free? I'd like to see Uber stay in business. I doubt everything will be free.
  14. Hildogen

Hildogen New Member

I wouldn't mind paying for DLC, as long as the price is reasonable. And from looking at the <$15 price point for MNC I think it's fair to say that Uber is reasonable.

As for spreading themselves too thin...no. These guys aren't new to the industry and have shown they know what they are doing. So far there is no evidence that the are overextending themselves, if anything I feel like they could go farther (but that's just from an outside view). Both the PC and 360 version are stable. PC is still only in beta and is more stable than most online games are when they are released. Also, so far the Uber guys have been very involved and open to the community. If they are having issues, I'd be willing to bet they would let us know to some extent.
  15. timmy TED

timmy TED New Member

the problem with DLC is that everyone would have to get it or you can't play
  16. Hildogen

Hildogen New Member

That's definitely something I've thought about as well. However, there are also way around that. Like I said, it isn't their first time to the game development rodeo, so I have faith they will believe in something. Although that is just my opinion and I can understand how some people would feel otherwise.
  17. ManaCorporation

ManaCorporation New Member

I think Uber made an excellent move to steam.

1) Microsoft hates us. Microsoft loves money. Updates/Patches/DLC cost money. The PC World doesn't care about either us or money.

2) It takes months to get an update approved by Microsoft. You don't need approval in the PC world, any changes you want to make; you can do right away. Make a mistake? Eh, just go back to yesterday's code and you're fine.

Basically, steam is more of a testing ground for Uber. They can take virtually every one of our and their ideas/suggestions/feedback about everything there is to MNC and do something about it instantly on steam/PC. Everyone raging about Snipers being OP? Uber can nerf snipers instantly on steam and see the new feedback. Change a fail? just go back to old code and think up something else. Change a success? Great, add it to a viable list of possible 360 changes when and IF Microsoft decides to approve them.

I played steam briefly but couldn't really play it that well, the frame rate is fairly choppy at best. I tried being a sniper (ONLY FIVE AMMO ON SNIPER RIFLE!!!) but shooting anyone was impossible.

Either way, Uber can test every change they might find useful/funny or even worthless or even half-finished maps and see how it fares. If it's successful, onto the 360 it goes.
  18. sunnydove

sunnydove Member

I'm not going to bother weighing in on this thread because the less trollish posts covered what I have to say pretty well: PC and console have trade-offs. PC does win in most categories but it's less accessible to your average joe. Uber can handle supporting both versions, calm down.

Funny thing is SeaNanners (a Call of Duty commentator and general YouTuber) put Minecraft on the map. The only big YouTube name to have extended