Mini map idea

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Cryonicfire, December 18, 2013.

1. Cryonicfire

Cryonicfire Member

The title says it for its self. Here are some art I made of a mini map that I think would look cool and improve game play. You would be able to move the mini map around where you want it and keep your eyes on parts of the planet.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    don't rage, this is just an idea. :p
    cdrkf, RMJ and stormingkiwi like this.
  2. Martenus

Martenus Well-Known Member

It looks nice, you made a good job with these pics!

But I would suggest the "minimap" does follow the "pole lock" rules, too. You apparently have a pole lock off, but the minimape is alligned. So it should also not be pole-locked for you. It would be easier to navigate I believe.

But overall, good idea.

On the other hand, you still have no clue what is happening on the other side of the planet unless you go check it.
  3. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

It's pretty cool.... But personally, I would much prefer something like this:

upload_2013-12-18_13-10-28.png

With icons representing units positions.

upload_2013-12-18_13-11-17.png
    And I guess, make the light part of the map the part of the globe that you can actually see

This is the issue with a Picture-in-Picture minimap for me. And picture in picture is kind of messy to look at a lot of the time.
    galaxyisos likes this.
  4. Cryonicfire

Cryonicfire Member

I agree, that was my second idea. :p
  5. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

That'd be kinda difficult to see what side of the planet the units are on.
  6. ragzouken

ragzouken New Member

would be pretty cool to have a little toolbar of planetary minimaps so you can keep track of multiple planets at once - maybe with some toggled auto-rotate so you can see the whole planet without interacting? I prefer sphere minimap to projected minimap because it avoids distortion and false edges

then again I suppose you could just split the screen so you are looking at all of the planets at once and use the new camera to make those views rotate the planets :p
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  7. stormingkiwi

No it doesn't, because you have to rotate the minimap to see the dark side of the planet. It's created a false edge again.

Your brain is already turning a 2D image into a 3D image. It may just be a case of implementing it and getting used to it.

The minimap only gives you a strategic overview of what's going on. Distortion is ok. And if you forget you're playing on a sphere, the enemy will sneak into the back of your base anyway.

That's true..I kind of feel that you would be very poor in screen real estate.
  8. abubaba

abubaba Well-Known Member

To be honest, I fail to see the need for a minimap. I think the current system is really elegant and powerful from a usability point of view, where the main view is the strategic view. The less cluttered visual HUD elements you have, the better. Sure you can't see everything at once, but that's ok.. it's the same for everyone. Especially with the new notification system, I don't really see a problem.

It's funny how people keep wishing the game was like a bog standard RTS game with a minimap and flat symmetrical maps, when the whole point (afaik) is to do something new.
  9. stormingkiwi

It's people thinking about a system where you have multiple multiple multiple planets and asteroids XD Future proofing
  10. abubaba

abubaba Well-Known Member

Even so.. I think the current system is powerful enough to handle that, when you can flip between planets with a single keystroke. The notification system with its go-to feature is a really, really great improvement, props to Uber for that one.. pretty ingenious. Can't go wrong by copying Civilization. ;)
  11. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

it's definitely the way minimap should be done if it is to be done. I made a similar suggestion here : https://forums.uberent.com/threads/...ui-discussion-thread.52055/page-6#post-807287 https://forums.uberent.com/threads/...ui-discussion-thread.52055/page-7#post-808796 I thought the ring gave extra info as it summarized the map to a 2-D plane allowing the users to get a tad of info on the back of the map with a 3D minimap projection. The choice of the cube is for orientation purposes. this way you can see it clearly rotating even though typically a minimap has no landmark features. each face also features a name like "right" "left "top"...
    I like your suggestion that the minimap be polelocked while the real view isn't.

And I'm going to be cheap and predictable here, but I like my idea better :p as it keeps the user oriented and shows him info that he can directly associate the elements of the real view to immediately. (while also orienting him by showing rotation of the planet and each face's name.)