Max resource usage to lowest avail resource?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by MindALot, December 17, 2013.

1. MindALot

MindALot Member

Any chance the resource usage for building stuff can be changed so that neither resource is thrown away?

Example - if I have enough metal production to use up 100k energy - _and_ I'm out of metal - why are we allowed to burn more than 100k energy (plus costs of structures)?
  2. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

No that's like the entire point of streaming eco. Having to macromanage eco. which you don't have to at all in starcraft (and clones)
  3. MindALot

MindALot Member

I'm not saying we should only use resources when the full amount for an object is available - but we shouldn't waste as much at the current rates. I don't mind some waste - say, %10 waste - but being able to waste half of your energy into the void, while your radar goes out, just because you assigned more to build something then you have metal for, just seems extra annoying. I don't want to have to micro my units to back off building stuff until I reach near 0 metal (or possibly energy) usage.
  4. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

it's your job to balance it. but just a hint to help you along : wasting energy is A-ok (oh god the ecologist in me is reeling) but wasting metal is Not.

You have to anticipate balancing the metal use by building unsusal amounts of energy.
  5. quigibo

quigibo Member

I would suggest playing TA (if you haven't already) to get used to this economy type. PA is far easier to maintain currently.
  6. godde

godde Well-Known Member

It's more like micromanaging the economy as you look for fabbers to put on and off their projects.
    Personally I don't think energy should be wasted just because you are stalling on metal. It can "easily" be micromanaged away by turning on and off fabbers.

That is not a good advice when your economy is growing. You have to pay more metal in energy production to spend the metal income than you have to invest in your metal extractors to produce that metal.
    Once your economy stops growing(which should about the time most or all of your metal extractors have advanced metal extractors ontop of them), your metal production will become the bottleneck and you should avoid wasting any metal while extra energy production doesn't matter so much.
    Of course, in order to achieve maximum economic growth before that, you should never waste energy, metal or fabber time as you should always use your metal and energy income with little or no resources in storage.
  7. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Here's your eco guide:
    - Spend all your metal.
    - Grab all the extractor points (easier said than done!).
    - Reclaim anything you can find.
    - Don't ever run out of energy.

See? It's pretty simple. Just takes a while to get the hang of the details.
    Last edited: December 17, 2013
    stormingkiwi likes this.