We're doing a test right now

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by garat, December 13, 2013.

1. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

That's in the official build already, too :)
  2. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

You can tell how much I play vs how much I mod :oops:
  3. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

They've died in a staggered way for ages.

Except once.

Where I had one lone fabber which survived.
    Grimseff and mered4 like this.
  4. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

They never have.....
  5. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

The AI has not been worked on for a few weeks, so it knows nothing about alliances. The AI will happily nuke allies and think they are winning.
    LavaSnake, cmdandy, Arachnis and 11 others like this.
  6. pivo187

pivo187 Active Member

haha i like the bits of bot chunks flying around @ 28min Area commands, notifications lookn awesome!
  7. Nullimus

Nullimus Well-Known Member

HERE HERE!
  8. RMJ

RMJ Active Member

Looks amazing :) the amount of power plants you can plant in one go, might be a tad overkill haha.

Also now the concern arises at least to be about being very careful to not automate to make.

Because the one thing i gained from watching this video, other than that creepy alien music at 20 or so min into the video that nearly gave me a heart attack ! jesus.

Queuing up to much and just sitting watching and building isnt terrible fun.

Maybe metal points should be hidden so you had to use a unit to run around and scout and actually reveal them in the ground or something.

Maybe tweak and balance will change. I know its not gonna be or trying to be Starcraft 2 ,but it would be nice to have a little micro to do :)
    Last edited: December 14, 2013
  9. KNight

KNight Post Master General

I know dat feel bro.

Mike
    Raevn likes this.
  10. stormingkiwi

Couple of comments on the live stream:

Default actions have to be changed across the board! Default action for fabbers on enemy units is repair, then assist.

With the notification systems - are we able to see historical notifications? With a link to chronocam time. Ala Sins. So you can see the whole historical list of notifications. Think I posted that way in the GUI thread.

Plausible to make area building build in an efficient layout? So some of the white space is removed between buildings, because the "area building" creates a certain amount of "roads" between buildings? i.e. make blocks of p-gens as wide as a factory?
  11. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

You just do micro on a larger scale! In a game where you are fighting over many planets, micro sort of becomes "I should really go set up a base over there to get some more factories in that area" and "I'm being flanked. I'll take this half of my army and send them in a different direction."

I doubt there will be much time left to babysit individual units once everything is in the game, but I admit I do sometimes love what I can do with just a couple bots if I can focus all my attention on them.
  12. Culverin

Culverin Post Master General

Words right out of my mouth.
    The "instant replays" ChronoCam is pretty much exactly what I'm hoping for.
    I'm hoping it's something that can help to "smooth" a player's action/inaction curve....

Like base build, scout, and check up on a dead scout's "camera feed" of when it died so you know what it died to.

Yeah, I'm totally OCD when it comes to base-building. I play these games for the base-building as much as the strategy. If we can get build templates, I wonder if we'll be able to stack area commands with build templates.
    So it can build 2x2 blocks of pgens, but repeat that 5 times...
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  13. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

Excited!
  14. stormingkiwi

2x2 blocks with no white space, pathable gap, 2x2 blocks, etc.?
  15. Arachnis

Arachnis Well-Known Member

At least you have Def Leppard, metallica and Guns 'n Roses in that list :D
  16. stonewood1612

stonewood1612 Well-Known Member

Looking great. All of it.

But one thing: Do you really need a message for every single building that got destroyed? I rather would like a message like 'your base is under attack on planet xxx!' and 'your ally (player color) is under attack on planet xxx!' and 'an enemy has launched a nuke!' and of course 'planet xxx was annihilated.'.
  17. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

It's a messaging system, so the exact messages should be able to be easily tweaked, and ones added for the events you suggest. For buildings being destroyed, maybe a filter so that a message is shown only if no other structures are destroyed within X seconds in a nearby area. So if a base is under attack, you'll get a message for the first structure but not subsequent ones (and maybe a general"under attack" message if more than a few structures are destroyed in a short period of time).
  18. Arachnis

Arachnis Well-Known Member

Maybe there could even be an option to individualize the message system to our liking? So that we can blend out some of the messages, if we want.
  19. lchm

lchm New Member

First thought on seeing the notifications: they should be together with the chat messages on the left-hand side. Make them subject to the same rules and UI as chat messages.

Reasons;
    1) they are time-based (and temporary), like chat messages
    2) can check back on them when I press enter, just like chat
    3) for PA UI, it's always better to use a corner than the middle of the screen. (due to planets being round and a screen being wide)
    4) can be click-to-goto event, which could be used for team user beacon messages as well
    Last edited: December 14, 2013
  20. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

I listened to the music and thought Howard had lost his touch, but thankfully it was simply that garat had lost his taste.

;)

I thought about the side as well, but they're in the centre to get your attention I suspect.