Hold right-click to move camera?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by xnavigator, December 12, 2013.

1. xnavigator

xnavigator Member

Coming from C&C kind of game, I am used to hold right-click and move the mouse where I want to go and the camera will move in that direction (speed is proportional of the distance from where I clicked)

I think right-click is just much better than tiny hold middle-click to move. Is there any way to use right-click mouse to move? (And keeping it not-inverted ?)
  2. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

try rebinding.
    (I mean with modding)
  3. peewee1000

peewee1000 Member

4. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

Try edge pan?

Personally I'm used to the multitude of games that use right click to issue commands.
  5. sirlansalot

sirlansalot New Member

I know the older C&C games were left click move/select and later ones moved to the right click system. But camera was always edge pan, ALWAYS. Only time I ever have used right click hold camera movement was when screen lock wasn't working properly and I couldn't move left (or right) because my mouse would go to the other screen instead of stopping.
  6. tatsujb

and to add to it all right mouse is really inferior in every way to zoom navigation (been removed in this patch)
    Last edited: December 13, 2013
  7. grokmoo

grokmoo New Member

Middle click to pan the camera around is a good choice in principle, but unfortunately for me it is causing me some sort of repetitive strain injury leading to numbness in my hand, something I've never encountered before from playing a game.

I think that some of these "easy to fix" usability issues should be somewhat higher on the priority list.
  8. JWest

JWest Active Member

The problem seems to stem from the fact that most mice have a very uncomfortable middle button, and PA requires us to use it a lot for navigation. I've had the same issue, my middle button is much more firm than my left and right buttons, which makes navigation a pain.
    Last edited: December 13, 2013
  9. tatsujb

didn't you ever try with scroll instead of click?? (now's a bit too late, but did you try before?)
  10. peewee1000

peewee1000 Member

Agreed. While waiting @UberGaf to re-enable mouse wheel panning, I bound one of the thumb buttons to as middle. Little bit more comfortable to use.
  11. xnavigator

xnavigator Member

Such an important feature like this, can't be handled with a MIDDLE mouse click!

Middle mouse is only for scrolling. Some mouse can't even click with middle mouse.

Switch to right mouse to move. You can see on this video for example used for Red Alert 3:
    Code:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxRxBWvGPBM#t=75