Calling All Mac Users! Help us Fix Bugs!

Discussion in 'Support!' started by brianpurkiss, December 12, 2013.

1. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Mac users! We need your help to find and diagnose bugs.

Please let me know if you're a Mac user so I can get in touch with you and we can work together to fix these Mac issues.

If you post your Mac specs, that'd also be very helpful.
    maxpowerz likes this.
  2. stonewood1612

stonewood1612 Well-Known Member

Using MacBook Pro Retina 15-inch, Early 2013

2.4 GHz Intel Core i7 (1 processor, 4 cores)
    8 GB RAM 1600 MHz DDR3
    Intel HD Graphics 4000 + nVidea GeForce GT 650M 1 GB VRAM

Running OSX 10.9

If you need more specs, just tell me.

My issues:
    - Sometimes few types of strategic icons disappear, while others are still there. A restart fixes it usually.
    - I was getting frequent crashes in the previous build, it seems to be less often now, but still... In a 90 min game I crashed 3 times, don't know what's causing it exactly. It previously crashed because of wreckages appearing.

My performance is great though.
    brianpurkiss likes this.
  3. maxpowerz

maxpowerz Post Master General

@brianpurkiss
    Would you like this thread bumped or copied to the Bug's and issues forum too?

Mac Fixes...
    Crazy Mouse Scrolling/uncontrollable zooming

Cause - Embedded Inertial Scrolling in "Mighty" and "Magic" mice and even on the Mac Trackpad's.

Fix -
    Here's how to disable momentum or inertial scrolling..
    Open System Preferences and click Accessibility, then and chose Mouse & Trackpad. Click "Trackpad Options" (or "Mouse Options" if you are using a mouse) and click "Scrolling" and chose "Without Inertia"

2rw00wg.png
    Last edited: December 13, 2013
  4. brianpurkiss

Moving over there would be helpful.

I meant to post it on there but apparently clicked on the wrong bookmark in my toolbar.
  5. maxpowerz

maxpowerz Post Master General

I'll get it bumped over there for you now :)
  6. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

moved
    maxpowerz likes this.
  7. konchog

konchog New Member

Model: MacPro3,1, BootROM MP31.006C.B05, 8 processors, Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 2.8 GHz, 4 GB, SMC 1.25f4
    Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 5870, ATI Radeon HD 5870, PCIe, 1024 MB

Game nearly unplayable at the moment - graphics are really broken up. Lots of pauses - if they are necessary, provide a progress bar or something. Wacom Tablet not supported well. Key bindings don't appear to work. Fullscreen switch not working. On game launch, it would be great if you can zoom into the commander, so that at least one can see what is going on..

Can you give us an email address for sending crash reports?

Attached Files:

8. guzwaatensen

guzwaatensen Active Member

Well i am on a Mac too, i've submitted my fair share of bugs to the tracker and I will continue to do so. There are a couple of mac specific things that aren't really bugs but should be addressed at some point during development regardless. So I'm going to seize the opportunity and post them here:

Program should close on window close.
    Maybe spaces full screen should be supported.
    The .dmg should be made to contain a link to ~/Applications for easy installation. (I know this is minor, but it's literally a 1 minute fix)
    maxpowerz likes this.
  9. brianpurkiss

Report on the tracker: http://pa.lennardf1989.com/Tracker/

Thanks for submitting bugs! Very helpful.

I'm putting a lot of time into the bug tracker in helping filter through all the noise.
  10. konchog

konchog New Member

Report on the tracker:
    Okay. I created a new FS#2775, which I will use for posting crashlogs.
  11. aeonsim

aeonsim Active Member

This is the most annoying of the Mac specific bugs at the moment, CVDisplayLink crash:
    http://pa.lennardf1989.com/Tracker/...6&project=1&order=history&sort=desc&pagenum=5

It occurs very often but can not directly be triggered as far as I can tell (I've tried a few times now). It's possibly a collection of several bugs that are causing the same crash error message.

Apart from that there is the "can't chat/enter doesn't work" bug which I think has been passed onto Uber for work.

i7, 8Gb, AMD 6770M, 10.9
  12. konchog

konchog New Member

Yeah, it's a memory leak - they need to run valgrind (or similar) and close a load of memory holes in their code. Problem with the crashlogs is that they only show the current threads and loaded libraries.

If the devs were willing to release a 'debug' (unoptimised, with none of the symbols stripped) version of the application, it may be easier to report what is going on - of course that would open them up to easier reverse-engineering (though I don't know why anyone would bother with that nowadays - IMO most of the effort is in the creative and mashing libraries together).
  13. widthofacircle

widthofacircle New Member

I am also on a macbook pro early 2012 (commonly encountering the CVD display link error and posting on the tracker), and I can never, ever connect to a game that isn't just me vs AI. I know it isn't my internet - 20Meg bband as I run xbox live very well, and I play starcraft as well. The endless procedure I follow goes like this:

Log in, join game, try to join something in EuWest it says 'login accepted' and I hang there for 15 mins before i get a crash. I have to force quit the application before I can try again to no avail.

Anyone else get this problem, or am i special flower?

i7, 4Gb, Intel 3000 384MB, 10.9
  14. brianpurkiss

I don't get that issue and my iMac is older than yours.

Are you able to connect to 1v1s?

I assume you're physically located in EuWest. Have you tried connecting to different servers?
  15. widthofacircle

widthofacircle New Member

I am in the UK, yes. I haven't yet tried connecting to other servers or to 1v1's as I currently suck at the game (lack of time for practice). I figured its best to try in a team game rather than just on my tod - but i will give it a go.
  16. berniemac

berniemac New Member

Happy to help out with any MAC related requests...

Specs are MacBook Pro Retina, 13" Late 2013, 2.8GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB, 512 SSD, Intel Iris 1024 MB, 10.9.1 Mavericks
  17. brianpurkiss

If you want to head on over to the bug tracker and help confirm or deny Mac related bugs, that would be a huge help for everyone.

http://pa.lennardf1989.com/Tracker/
  18. konchog

konchog New Member

I've been told that at least one of my bugs aren't bugs but feature requests, and therefore should be mentioned on the forums. So here goes.

The game isn't sluggishly slow, it's geologically slow, on the very lowest of quality settings. The wait times for server generation, planet rendering, etc. need progress bars.

The CPU usage is unbelievably poor and unaware of other processes. There is no proper support for scrolling. Or for wacom, or for any other of a gadzillion input devices.
    Fn Key bindings are a really bad idea for Apple Keyboards - they require a separate Fn mod key 'shift'.

The game needs to be in a pause state at the beginning of each game - by the time I get any response at all, the AI already have built large economies. Supposedly I can adjust the AI economy rate, but it still gives them an early start, which sort of sucks.

I've not yet been able to complete a game.. Sort of sad, really.
  19. brianpurkiss

The game is in Beta. Most performance optimizations are yet to be done.

The game already is in a pause state. The game doesn't start until you choose a spawn and press "start." The AI doesn't have an early start. They have the same start as you.

Care to expand on your no support for scrolling claim? The game scrolls just fine.

There's already a progress bar. When you're in the lobby, theres a red>yellow>green icon showing how far it's loaded.
  20. karatemonkey2

karatemonkey2 New Member

"Care to expand on your no support for scrolling claim? The game scrolls just fine."

I'm running an 8 x 3GHz Mac Pro with 16GB of RAM and a GeForce 8800 GT graphics card. This game is currently unplayable on my machine due to serious issues with its rendering. Startup up the game is ok, but once I've accepted 'FIGHT!' and it starts rendering a planet, I never get any further than a large black blob with a few coloured artifacts on it which may be clouds or a few of the larger features on the planet.

Other than this, I can't do anything with the game - attempts to zoom or pan the planet view result on the 'busy' mouse icon which goes away some minutes later with no noticeable change to the display.

As I say, utterly unplayable in its current form - even with settings cranked right down to basic.

The game doesn't seem to be making any use of the graphics card hardware - usually when I play Steam games, the cooling fan on the GeForce spins up noticeably ... no so with PA.

Attached Files: