There's Issues on YouTube with Increases in Bogus Copyright Claims – Can

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by brianpurkiss, December 13, 2013.

1. masterofroflness

masterofroflness Well-Known Member

Trolls screw everyone regardless
  2. iampetard

iampetard Active Member

You don't have to worry because Uber doesn't have a content ID algorithym set up with youtube. If you get a claim on a PA video and you do not have third party music or additional content, you won't have a problem.

Brian this happened to every single non networked youtuber(wno monetized their videos) until now. Now it happens to everyone who isn't a managed channel.
    DeadStretch likes this.
  3. OathAlliance

OathAlliance Well-Known Member

Maybe we should all get together and make a United PA Partnership?

Then we could deal with the problem as unified group.

But yeah, trolls will be trolls, for the purpose of trolling.
  4. ledarsi

ledarsi Post Master General

There is a world of difference between trolls defined as people being unpleasant on the internet, and the kind of deliberate, invidious corporate troll like patent trolls, copyright trolls, and other nonsense. The kind of troll that files completely bogus copyright takedowns is utterly different from people posting nonsense in YouTube comments. It is literally their business.

It is entirely possible to have a company that makes money by doing nothing but buying defunct properties and threatening people with baseless lawsuits. As long as they never actually have to file a complaint, they can "settle" for however much they can extort and keep on trucking. Or get paid by copyright behemoths to police the internet for copyrighted material and have the content get automatically taken down, and effectively censored, even if there is zero connection to the claimed copyrighted work.

The American intellectual property system needs a complete and wholesale reboot. The DMCA is a good place to start, because we now live in an age with YouTube and Twitch and other services that distribute copyrighted information in a way that every sane person sees as fair use, but which trolls can use to extract rent from innocent victims and thuggishly censor on behalf of content companies.
  5. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

The system is automated. I don't see how "trolls" could affect it. The automated system is one of checks and balances. Uber doesn't have any checks to balance since everything with their game is developed in house at Uber.

Now if you were to play a Justin Beiber song in the backround of a PA video which ever studio/company that handles Beiber's music may have a system in place to auto flag videos.
  6. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

The new system is automated. But the old system is still around and can be exploited by trolls.

A PA partnership-channel-thing would be hulluva awesome.
  7. Dementiurge

Dementiurge Post Master General

If Uber doesn't lay claim to their own assets, the automated system may very well flag a video as copying content from previous videos, as the automated system won't know that it's common content produced by a third party.

Hence, there could still be issues even if it's solely a PA gameplay video.
    That is what it seems. Network affiliates lost their protection, and accordingly their primary reason to be network affiliates (for which they are often paying a substantial share of their ad revenue) in the first place. And Youtube isn't done... Affiliates are going to lose more in the coming months.
    (I suppose, from an MCN's perspective, it's better than the alternative: MCN's being held responsible for the violations of the thousands of affiliates they may have gobbled up under the guise of protection from this automated system.)
  8. iampetard

iampetard Active Member

Uber may do sponsorships according to Garat from a PM months ago, not sure what or how would that look like but it sounds interesting.
    A special partnership for PA channels sounds interesting as well but for that to happen Uber would need to make an arrangement with a network on Youtube first. I assume if PA gets big enough on youtube that something like this will be very possible.

Yes Dementiurge, I tried getting out of my contract where I'm giving 40% to my network for nothing basically but I guess I'm stuck for 10 more months.. both youtube and networks are being very poopy.
  9. masterofroflness

I`m getting 90 percent from mine. Whats your network?
  10. BradNicholson

BradNicholson Uber Employee Uber Alumni

11. iampetard

iampetard Active Member

Been with Fullscreen for 14 months, great benefits for american vloggers, others not so much. I wasn't even able to put thumbnails with a regular account till a month ago so partnership gave me even more stuff, now I'd be better off unpartnered but I guess contracts are a serious thing :p
  12. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

13. OathAlliance

OathAlliance Well-Known Member

Begin the planning to make $$$$$!
  14. masterofroflness

I`m with curse. Bunch of international guys with tons of people who are in gaming. I can referral you when you suggest if you`d like
  15. brianpurkiss

16. Culverin

Culverin Post Master General

dfanz0r and stormingkiwi like this.
  17. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

personally that was my immediate thought, upon reading this thread. What if Nordic Games meddle in what's not their business and flag all the videos? (and the whole automated thing is only half of the system the rest of the time it's individuals or companies who contest the videos manually)
    Last edited: December 15, 2013
  18. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

Okay now it's getting nuts.

This guy who wrote his own game line of code per line of code had his videos flagged by the bot. (not an individual, he has 1000 views per vid top consisting of only his fans)

19. brianpurkiss

Ha. You beat me to it.

This just goes to show that even though Uber is awesome and won't be a problem doesn't mean that us Youtubers won't have problems.
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  20. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

We should go make our own video sharing website. With blackjack and hookers.
    MrTBSC and brianpurkiss like this.