There's Issues on YouTube with Increases in Bogus Copyright Claims – Can

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by brianpurkiss, December 13, 2013.

1. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Quick synopsis.

YouTube has a new automated system that is increasing the amount of copyright claims on YouTube videos. Videos are being taken down for bogus copyright claims.

Great overview from Total Biscuit on the YouTube Drama:

Quick video overview (NSFW Language)

Another explanation:

I know Uber here is awesome and they aren't going to copyright claim gameplay footage. However, other random people can copyright claim our videos and the videos will be taken down without Uber's involvement. These are also automated systems that are taking down videos and losing their monetized status. So even though Uber won't cause the problems, some problems can come.

Some game developers have come forward with support for YouTubers and released statements allowing blanket rights for people to post videos of their games.

Example: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/bl...ike-in-youtube-copyright-claims/1100-6416659/

Could we get a similar approval statement from Uber allowing us to post videos on YouTube?

Heck. It'd be cool if (when Uber has time) Uber could create a YouTube network (no clue how that's done or what's involved) to offer protection to PA oriented YouTubers.

(Keep up the great work Uber!)
    ledarsi, carcinoma, Culverin and 2 others like this.
  2. BradNicholson

BradNicholson Uber Employee Uber Alumni

Absolutely! Yes, you can make videos of our game and monetize those videos. And please share them with us, too!
    MrTBSC, FSN1977, lokiCML and 5 others like this.
  3. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

well that means you guys also have to whitelist us.

this thing is bad news for you too as it will give you extra work.
  4. BradNicholson

BradNicholson Uber Employee Uber Alumni

From what I understand, it's not so much about whitelisting as it is preventing ad networks from claiming the content. You've got to make a claim for a video to go down.
  5. iceDrop

iceDrop Active Member

Nice to have that confirmed, thanks.

I've been enjoying PA casts more than I've enjoyed playing the game so far, though I intend for that to change. I'm struggling with the realization since "Instant Access day" that I'm far better at this game in my head, than I am with a keyboard and mouse.
    drz1 likes this.
  6. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Personally, and quite off topic I suppose, but I hate twitch, and I hope they squeeze YouTube's rocks until they let up on this, by stealing all their viewers.

I think I will in fact support twitch.tv on this. Youtube can keep it up, I will go to twitch, I will go to private sites, everything I want to watch (all of it being law abiding) I will watch elsewhere when and if they ship it out of their site.

Everyone likes TFS, they shipped that out, they made their own site, and that was where the viewers went. Everyone can move to twitch or private sites, and the more youtube tosses out the more viewers they toss out too. The people who get mad over it won't ever come back to youtube anyway. So it's them bombing themselves, by MW2 standards they are literally guiding a predator drone missile directly down onto themselves, watching from the screen as they view themselves dead center. Can they really do it? How close can that missile get before their nerves get to them?
  7. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

The first time I ever met with someone from Youtube I was kind of shocked at the level of power they give the content creators. I was surprised to realize that we could monetize any of the videos of our game, even if we didn't make the video. Ridiculous! Suffice it to say of course people can post videos of our games.
    MrTBSC and drz1 like this.
  8. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

+1

:/
  9. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

I'm with a network so I'm not subject to contentID or having to verify my right to monetise but the only way other Youtubers can monetise their videos is if you post a permanent URL to a legal document stating it.
    brianpurkiss likes this.
  10. Methlodis

Methlodis Active Member

From my understanding the new youtube Content ID system has caused problems for people with networks as well, unless this was reworked since I last heard.
  11. zaphodx

Yes most networks have 'affiliate' partnership which doesn't give you much over normal monetisation. I am a full partner.
  12. brianpurkiss

That's the problem. It doesn't involve claims.

The new system will automatically remove monitization under the premise of guilty until proven innocent.

If we could get one of these ^. Just a "you can use our videos" statements (examples can be found in my original post) then it would be very helpful to Youtubers who are not apart of a network.
  13. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

Well everything within PA is made and created by Uber staff. As far as I know there aren't any contracts being fulfilled or contract employees or any other companies being involved. Well now Nordic Games kind of are.

Example in Uber's game Monday Night Combat it's announcer was apart of an actors union. That union could possibly file a claim on the video simply because of the voice actor. Never forget Mickey Cantor :( .
  14. brianpurkiss

Again, claims aren't the issue. The automated system is the issue.

For example, I have an audio snippet that I use at the beginning of all of my videos. The snippet was taken from the Kickstarter trailer. Uber's fine with me using that audio snippet, but, the new automated system could notice that at the beginning of my videos the audio is the same as a different video and boom – no more monitezation (if/when I start monetizing).

Having a statement from Uber saying we can use their video game footage and audio and stuff then we will have an easier job of clearing up these automated claims.

Again, the emphasis is on the automation of this new system. Uber is a great company and they understand the value of free publicity from YouTubers. Uber isn't the problem, the problem is the new system will automatically hurt YouTuber's with Uber's knowledge or consent.
  15. iampetard

iampetard Active Member

What Jon hinted at is that every single company, especially game company can file a Content ID "algorithm" which would be used to scan videos and automatically claim them for the company.

Basically, if Uber wanted to make it so every single video playing the PA soundtrack gets flagged as their property, they could do it in 10 minutes and Youtube would approve it and the Uber account they used to fill in the algorithm with would be receiving revenue from that video. (shared with Youtube, not the video creator)

It is an incredibly flawed system that sucks massive genitalia. I can't say that money isn't a good addition to making videos but I don't make enough to be affected by this, even so I would hate if some stupid claim got on my video and I had ads that would bring revenue to someone who has nothing to do with my video(even if the claimer is the game owner, still isn't their video in any way)

It is incredible to even think that a company wouldn't want people to make money from their games, it is the biggest amount of free promotion anyone can get. Just look at Minecraft FFS
  16. masterofroflness

masterofroflness Well-Known Member

Planetary Annihilation wouldn't be anywhere as big as it is now without youtube. And many of the famous indie games that have come out in recent years have grown to incredible levels due to youtube being the ultimate source of advertisement. But I think what grew PA even more so would be the personalities on youtube that played this game and showed it off to their million subscriber fanbase such as Total Biscuit and Nerd Cubed. Without those two many indie games and PA wouldn`t be at the extreme levels they are today. And with this game becoming more well known throughout youtube space and the final release date coming its only a matter of time before other bigger youtubers get a hold of this game.

I don`t think the majority of PA casters monetize their videos as the biggest PA youtuber is at about 11k subscribers. The community still needs to grow a bit but its getting there. But this entire thing will effect the bigger youtubers that are helping PA grow into a monolith of a strategy game or the illusion of the monolith of a strategy game if you are a pessimistic.

In regards to the youtube system personally I knew this was going to happen so I had not monetized any of my videos till I see how youtube will deal with the affiliates thing. And so far I have found it to be retarded in every form so now I will continue to hold back on monetizing till then. I have a written response from CA telling me that I could monetize any of my Total War footage which is awesome and a written response from Uber would be great but the whole of youtube is going out of wack and I honestly think people should brace themselves for the storm then see how youtube will iron out this system.

I am not even sure if a PA youtube channel hub is necessary but rather just youtube needs some shock therapy. All anyone can do is have a good relationship with their network(which I do) and wait to see what youtube does and its only youtube that can truly fix the problem.
  17. brianpurkiss

My main concern is people without a network, like myself.
  18. zaphodx

Spoken to Brad and he has confirmed they have prepared a statement that will cover usage and monetisation of PA footage, and it will be up soon, so you don't have to worry!

For automated contentID matches you don't have to worry, that is for stuff like cutscenes or licensed soundtracks.
    Culverin and brianpurkiss like this.
  19. masterofroflness

masterofroflness Well-Known Member

Exactly just don`t have licensed soundtracks and trailers and you should be fine.
  20. brianpurkiss

Excellent.

Should be. But trolls still screw people over.