Latest patch, and Twitch.TV

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by k3n58, December 11, 2013.

1. k3n58

k3n58 Member

Just out of curiosity, has anyone had a "working" experience with this feature yet? I opened PA, went to settings, signed in just fine on the first attempt and saw the stream up. But by the time I got into the game, the stream went MIA. Once in the game, checked settings, and was no longer signed in.

I also noticed, that there is really no feedback if you type your password incorrectly, or ability to save your credentials. As opposed to Open Broadcaster with additional options, I think they'll be a little more work to come with this feature in the range of optimization, but curious of others experience.

Also surprised it doesn't require the "Stream Key" to work properly like other apps, but one less thing is fine by me!
  2. ghost1107

ghost1107 Active Member

I have played the latest patch.
    -New Basic Bot Factory looks really.
    -The smooth zoom from orbital to planet is in. Orbital units are still a bit annoying to select.
    -About the Interplanetary nuke, I tried shooting it at an other planet around the sun and it wouldn't lauch. Maybe it doesn't work or it's only planet to moon.

I don't use the steam version.
  3. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

I kinda tried the Twitch.tv.

Someone said you start streaming when you login. I logged in, and it wasn't streaming.

That was the extent of my testing so far.
    Clopse and stormingkiwi like this.
  4. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

Worked fine for me.
  5. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

Meh.

I think a much better feature would have been able to export the ChronoCam of a game. For you to view at your leisure and do anything you like with.

Maybe I should try Twitch. But often the stress of recording just causes my PA session to crash. Or me to stress about my losing disc space.
  6. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

Keep up the hard work. :p
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  7. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

8. iampetard

iampetard Active Member

Same here, audio with a black screen but how do we adjust the bitrate and other settings? My guess would be that the game automatically decided to use more bandwidth than I can afford so the black screen happened.
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  9. brianpurkiss

Thanks. I put a lot of blood and sweat into those testing hours. Glad to see that it's appreciated.
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  10. BradNicholson

BradNicholson Uber Employee Uber Alumni

I'll bring this feedback to Adam. We'll get it!
  11. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Maybe the black screen issue is related to the hardware people use?
    I get blackscreen streams on my Radeon HD 7850
  12. SXX

SXX Post Master General

It's also not looks working on Linux. When I'm press "sign in" nothing happen. :(
    If there any other Linux users I'll appreciate your feedback on bugtracker: PA#2763
  13. metabolical

metabolical Uber Alumni

A couple things about this:
    1. This was my first cut, I know there's more to do.
    2. Twitch SDK does not support Linux, so that isn't coming.
    3. I just chose some settings without exposing it all to the user. 3500 max kbps for bit rate, 1280x720.
    4. I have a repro of the black screen on Mac, are people seeing it on Windows too?
    5. Our graphics guy is busy making massive perf improvements we want to get you before xmas, so we may not get to prioritize fixing the black screen sooner.

I actually believe that having a one-click streaming experience in game lets people get started and try it out, but people who decide to stream regularly will likely want to use xsplit or open broadcaster, put up overlays and webcams, show other apps on occasion, etc. Consequently I'm torn on how much to put into exposing esoteric options. What do you guys think?
    gunshin and SXX like this.
  14. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I am on Windows and got a black stream as well.
    I dont think ingame twitch support is that important.
    Setting up open broadcaster takes only a few minutes and it is just way better than you can ever be given that you are supposed to develop a game and not a streamingsoftware.
    gunshin, Quitch and SXX like this.
  15. brianpurkiss

Woohoo for the performance updates!

I'm getting blank screen on Mac and it doesn't seem any game or mic audio is coming through either.
  16. SXX

SXX Post Master General

17. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

I guess I would never use this anyway but have a hidden advanced options portion to adjust bitrate and resolution. Those settings are significantly higher than I would ever be able to stream at.

Your basic settings could link to speedtest.net and they could auto select something based on user's upload speed.
    iampetard and Corang like this.
  18. iampetard

iampetard Active Member

19. sebovzeoueb

sebovzeoueb Active Member

I just tried to use it, and it works very well for all of 19 seconds for me. I have a pretty weak connection for streaming, but have managed OK-ish with OBS (in fairly crappy quality). The 19 sec of gameplay I recorded and watched back seemed very reasonable in terms of quality, but I can't get it to stream for longer, and there's no feedback as to why.

EDIT: If hardware is important, I have a nVidia GTX 660 Ti.

EDIT EDIT: To reply @metabolical I think that it is really nice to have such an easy way to stream. While OBS isn't exactly hard, there is way more faffing than just logging in through PA, for people who may casually stream from time to time like me it is really great. I would suggest maybe just having 3 presets or something. Minimum, Decent and High, Minimum being some really poor quality for the bandwidth peasants among us, and High for the Google Fiber Master Race, and Decent somewhere in between. Even better would be something that auto detects your internet connection speed and sets it up accordingly, but I have no idea how easy/worthwhile this is to implement.
    Last edited: December 14, 2013
  20. Nullimus

Nullimus Well-Known Member

The streaming worked fine for me but my machine bogged down too much so I shut it off.