Scout's need an auto-explore button

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by meir22344, December 10, 2013.

1. meir22344

meir22344 Active Member

There needs to be an auto explore button for T1 scout units like in SOASE
    godde likes this.
  2. Murcanic

Murcanic Well-Known Member

I believe that is what the roam command is for... It just hasn't been put in fully yet
  3. liquius

liquius Well-Known Member

I imagine that the roam command will be the same as other roam commands from previous games.

However this is a frequent request and I am sure it will get added in at some point.
  4. gunshin

gunshin Well-Known Member

and then removed by a competetive mod again.
  5. sargeantpig

sargeantpig New Member

Why, i don't see why allowing people to tell their scouts to scout about is seen as non-competitive.
    cptconundrum likes this.
  6. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Right. Either scouting manually will still be better and good players will just not use the button, or all players will be able to use auto-scout and focus on higher gameplay.
  7. liquius

It depends on how its implemented and whether you want apm to be a limiting factor if someone wants to become great.

I think the better player should be the person who out-thinks and outplays his opponent, not who can do more things at once.
    numerials and stormingkiwi like this.
  8. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

+1 on this.

Though I imagine it probably will be implemented.
  9. gunshin

no. The whole reason that people consider this a fix is because the scouting system is broken to begin with. The fact that the opponent could be ANYWHERE on the planet means that we have to manually make our scouts check under EVERY rock on the planet. This is not a fix, it is a bandaid. A bandaid that is forced because of bad design.

The current system forces micro. This would then remove the micro.

Why not just remove the micro from the beggining so that we dont have to resort to such silly features?
  10. cptconundrum

I suppose the game could show players the possible starting locations for all other players when selecting where to land your commander.
  11. gunshin

Exactly my response to the whole situation months ago. We dont need the exact location. We only need plausible locations. Even if some of them are false.
  12. cptconundrum

I like it. That could add some interesting strategy, like choosing not to start in the most obvious location to avoid being scouted so early.
  13. Murcanic

Murcanic Well-Known Member

ummm follow the metal spots? thats about all you need... I don't need a roam funtion but i can see how some of the new players might
  14. gunshin

Thats the best we can do currently, and it works to a certain degree on these tiny planets we have been playing since alpha. But take into account larger planets and we will start seeing huge flaws in this logic.
  15. cptconundrum

I think the fact that experienced players can recognize potential starting spots is not good for the game. Experience should help you win, but not because you can recognize the metal placement algorithm's quirks more than a newer player.
  16. Genera1Failure

Genera1Failure Member

I think area commands would be a great use to tell scouts where to roam. Select your scouts and designate an area to explore, and they will explore that area indefinitely. A patrol or guard area command for fighters would be awesome as well, something like how the AI sets their fighters on patrol.
  17. liquius

You know that the other player will choose the best starting place. That means you prioritise scouting out ideal starting areas. The only other bit of information you know is that they won't start too near to you.
  18. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Hopefully this will just be an area patrol.
    stormingkiwi, cola_colin and godde like this.