Will there be transport carriers

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by connerj15, May 20, 2013.

1. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Thread from the grave!

Transports are going to be in the game. Uber is working on them.

There's definitely going to be single unit transports, and Uber hasn't decided on multi unit transports as far as they've told us.

Transports paired with area commands are going to be awesome.
  2. rippsblack

rippsblack Member

Yea thanks for that :p

I think I'd prefer the single unit air transport system, EVEN IF they include a multi unit air transport just because fleets of air transports stand a better chance of getting past AA, than a single air transport. Its basically just like that old saying, "don't put all your eggs in one basket"

Also in addition to that, the reason I'd rather use the single unit transport method is that it should look F'ng sweet if you had say, 100 atlas style transports guarding not only one factory, but with the area command guarding all relevant (non air, non sea) factory's in your base and taking them not to a single destination, but rather to each factory's unique rally point.

I played Dune II allot as a kid, and I loved the Carryall unit seen below.

[​IMG]

This unit was the first air transport unit in what I consider to be the very first GOOD RTS game, It was an automated unit that mostly carried harvestors back and forth between refinarys but was also used for carrying damaged units out of combat and back to base for repairs, and very occasionally was used to drop off reinforcements.

I think I'd prefer it if higher tier transports were used for carrying larger units rather than more units... just my opinion.
    Last edited: December 10, 2013
  3. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Eh. A transport with multiple clamps can do more things than a single clamp transport. Other than that the difference is minor. There is no reason to have both in the game.

But transport isn't just about carrying units into the air. Just take this gem from long ago:
    This means ANYTHING that moves units from- you guessed it- point A to point B!

Such exciting options can include:
    • the unit cannon.
    • teleport pads
    • special abilities
    • Asteroids
    • more unit cannons
    And any other crazy thing you can think of. Like Space Arks. Go nuts.
  4. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

The ways they currently have is one way single unit at a time (via space), making your units rain on theirs via unit canon, and teleporting across via a gate with costing energy per teleport.

They did mention working on a multi unit space transport, i remember somewhere because they said they were having problem with their code.
    timp13 likes this.
  5. dangoofed

dangoofed Member

I'm completely fine with single unit at a time transports, I love the back and forth transport and even when the option is available for more i'll for the singles, tinkering with loading unloading and movement is such a hassle