Space Lasers Lacking feel

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by halander1, December 10, 2013.

1. halander1

halander1 Member

I think that the PA space lasers lack the feel of a "Space Laser" , orbital fighters you can atleast see to some extent the laser (Still kinda boring), and i was feeling, what if the lasers looked something like the Doctor Who 50th anniversary dalek ship bombings, basically if you havent watched that episode its just large *** versions of the normal dalek lasers that explode on contact and are fired at random intervals instead of all at once. Most of the references i make are unknown to some people but the game is going for awesome, and right now i feel that this is not considered "Awesome".
  2. Nullimus

Nullimus Well-Known Member

Anything that uses "lasers" I think should have a sustained beam on the target. Additionally, in regards to the orbital laser platforms. They should have a firing arc of more than zero degrees. They move slow and take forever to align with a stationary target.
  3. dangoofed

dangoofed Member

I want like an AKIRA style targeting system, with a single halo of light converging on the target than BOOM
    ace902902 and thetrophysystem like this.
  4. shotforce13

shotforce13 Well-Known Member

+1 like the ion cannon
  5. KNight

KNight Post Master General

....Isn't that the point thought?

Mike
    Tankh and cwarner7264 like this.
  6. Stormie

Stormie Active Member

He's looking for a noob tube. and the laser as it is currently isnt op enough for him.
  7. halander1

halander1 Member

Well if you camp with a umbrella covered planet and drop spacelasers to make a entry point for some thing at all, it becomes a war of spam units and a war of keeping em alive, i think spacelasers should have a degrees till fire slider bar that you move and changes what are being built but costs exponentially more metal per every 5 so you dont have 90 degree firings
  8. KNight

KNight Post Master General

What if the current Laser Satellite isn't intended for that role? I think you're just projecting your desire onto a unit that may or may not be intended for anything like that.

Mike
  9. tohron

tohron Active Member

I know how the clumsiness of Orbital Lasers is a result of how it should be hard to snipe moving targets, but I think it would work better if they could turn slightly to aim, but they were given a slow projectile speed. That way, they would still be unable to hit moving targets, but they would be less frustrating to use against buildings, plus you could actually see them shooting.
  10. Nayzablade

Nayzablade Active Member

Or like the independance day ion cannon...might be a bit OP though, hehe
  11. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Everyone seems to agree that the laser satellite is underwhelming. It gets brought up frequently.

Uber has said the graphics are far from done, so I bet the satellite will be a lot more AWESOME before release.
    cdrkf and cmdandy like this.
  12. halander1

halander1 Member

Uber praise you
  13. ghost1107

ghost1107 Active Member

Why call it an orbital laser if it doesn't shoot a laser?

I just want a cool and shiney fireing animation.

EDIT:
    I might not have a problem with an orbital laser that gets into it's fireing position easier. If you don't build an Umberella isn't that your own fault. Just like not building an anti-nuke. Besides it takes a lot of resources to build that thing, you should have killed you enemy in the mean time.
  14. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I'd personally vote for an effect similar to the Command and Conquer Generals Particle Cannon...

http://www.langames.at/wp-content/uploads/2007/02/purple_particle2.jpg

At the moment when being attacked by a space laser it feels more like those ****** snipers in TAS, you don't hear anything, you don't see anything, but all of a sudden units start disintegrating around you.
    Gunman006 likes this.
  15. cmdandy

cmdandy Active Member

Oh god no, not the Generals Particle Cannon effect. I loved that game but DAMN that effect was ugly, and the zzzzzzzzzzszzzzz sound was just awful. Constant beam - noooooo thank you. I think I understand the basic premise of your idea though, the laser needs to be bigger.

The AKIRA style laser system gets every vote I can give. Halo of light appears, beam narrows, pulse of energy gets shot down the beam. BOoooooom. Toasty.
    ace902902, Tankh and Gunman006 like this.
  16. popededi

popededi Well-Known Member

I'm sure the graphics of it will be improved greatly, and simply implementing it so we can actually play with it was more of a priority than putting shiny effects on it. For now.

My only gripe with it is that it seems to have a "front". I believe it should be able to move in any direction instead of turning and moving like a car.

I think this is yet again a temporary measure to stop it from having perfect target tracking to avoid easy sniping, but I'd still like to see this change over the coming months.
    rippsblack, Gunman006 and cmdandy like this.
  17. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

There are many ways to rain death from the sky. Space lasers are about using player energy. A KEW cannon might have a shell stockpile and has to pay per shot. Another variant might not cost anything to use. PA only really needs one.
  18. Zoliru

Zoliru Active Member

19. lapsedpacifist

lapsedpacifist Post Master General

Pretty sure a lot of the projectile effects are still placeholder, uber certainly stated this a while ago, around beta release I think, but I can't find the post now...
  20. Nullimus

Nullimus Well-Known Member

First of all let me thank you for insinuating I have no interest in fully understanding and mastering the various tactics of this game.

Now back to my point. An orbital laser theoretically should be able to fire at anything it has line of sight to. I don't want that, it would make an orbital laser far to dominant a force in its hemisphere. However. An orbital laser should be able to track and fire at moving targets. We are talking about very small fractions of degrees of orientation shift to cover a larger area. Asking that the orbital laser have a firing arc of just 3 degrees would make them far more effective, and it would require some ground based defenses to protect a commander from a laser snipe.

Right now an orbital laser kills a healthy commander in about 10 seconds. It should take far longer than that. A catapult or Holkins takes around 5 hits to kill a healthy commander and their firing rates are far slower. The orbital laser should take the same amount of time to kill a commander as one of these artillery units, and it should be able to track moving targets to give it some basic tactical defense uses.
    ace902902, rippsblack and Gunman006 like this.