Planetary orbits touching the sun

Discussion in 'Support!' started by fissure, December 7, 2013.

1. fissure

fissure Member

I just played a game earlier today where I used a map I made where the starting planet is VERY close to the sun...as in pretty much touching it. The problem with this is that due to the way slingshot orbits work currently, it takes forever, as in a huge number of revolutions first around the planet, then around the sun before you can actually slingshot from the sun to another planet. This is actually amplified by sending avengers, etc. from another planet back to the starting planet next to the sun, and makes it essentially impossible to return to the home planet. This is an interesting dynamic, and I'm not sure if this issue also makes it impossible to planet smash the home planet in addition to sending other units back to it.

On a side note, I REALLY want to have the system editor save my changes to the orbit to make it elliptical, and also changes in the direction of the orbit that I've made so that some planets are going the opposite direction of the other planets, and for some orbits to intersect, possibly inducing the risk of a random planet smash without the use of rockets. Anyways, I'm not complaining about being able to put planets close to the sun, I'd just like planets that are pretty much touching the sun to be able to be invaded by SOME means. Currently, this is not possible, but actually now that I think of it, it would be nice to have some planets that are protected from orbital bombardment invasions. So honestly, maybe this bug is a feature the more I think about it :)

Thoughts? Is this indeed a bug, or should it be considered a possible feature in disguise to add an additional gameplay dynamic without the need for really, much additional programming/work?
  2. SXX

SXX Post Master General

It's well known problems, just wait for future versions.
  3. fissure

fissure Member

I wasn't aware it was that well known of a bug, then again I did a search of the wrong forum, now that I think of it and not the bug reporting forum. Thank you.
  4. SXX

SXX Post Master General

You can check bugs on tracker:
    http://pa.lennardf1989.com/Tracker/index.php?project=1&do=index

Both problems are here. Still if you find something what's wrong feel free to add new task on tracker.
  5. phattmattslimm

phattmattslimm New Member

PA's current inability to handle elliptical units, as mentioned by SXX, is a known issue and has been raised in the Bug Tracker (as far as I'm aware!) :)