For Backers Only: Megabot Experiment

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by garat, March 14, 2013.

1. DEATHERNATER

DEATHERNATER New Member

I love it, that's it. Please consider implementing it. I vouch either for this, or more in-depth and accessible planet smashing. When the game was originally advertised, I envisioned planet smashing to be something common place (as opposed to late game). If you guys are bent on not doing that, then please... add this I was do see large scale destruction!!!
  2. mafoon

mafoon Member

Orbital megabots? Its a bot factory you can fly about the orbital layer and when it builds it fills its launch bays with bots and can then drop the bots onto the planet below in the same wooshing animated way they arrive by unit cannon, excelant way to beach head an enemy planet and maintain pressure or used to drop a rain of units onto an enemy base.
    It wouldnt replace the bot cannon because it would be a slower version since it has to produce wat it drops and be in position but what it is useful for is to land alot of bots all at the same time instead of just bursts, im talking like 50 bots all at once
  3. vackillers

vackillers Well-Known Member

Didn't get a good response when I asked about this unit in the last livestream event. So I'm getting this old thread back into the forefront of the talking points again because I think its an important topic and would live to get this unit into the roster before launch. Neutrino mentioned that they "might" release the concept model in the modders forum for us to play around with, but I would love it if Uber could just simply add it in the roster, maybe as the only tech3 build-able unit in game and only 1 could be fielded at a time or something. This Megabot does look so awesome :D
  4. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

It's already present in the game data files:

Megabot.PNG
  5. vackillers

vackillers Well-Known Member

OOOOO.... is it playable?
  6. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

No; it's just a model, with no animations, bones or textures, and the unit data is likewise mostly absent.
  7. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

This topic has been talked to death and has been mostly rejected by the Community.

Uber's goal is to have all units valid at all stages of combat.

Adding a third tier of unit, be it "Tech 3," "Experimental," or something inbetween, would invalidate other unit types during the late game and then PA would become all about building the most of this new type of unit.

Imposing arbitrary restrictions as "only build one" are just that – arbitrary. Which is bad.

There's no such thing as "simply add it to the roster" especially for something as game changing as an entire new class of unit. The entire game's balance would need to be completely re-done in order to accommodate such a unit.

It looks cool, sure. But so do all of our current units. You know what would be even cooler than this mega bot? An even bigger mega bot! It never ends if "looks cool" is the goal.

It's all about proper game balance and such a unit completely throws out the current game balance and runs into the very problem that SupCom fell into.
  8. Arachnis

Arachnis Well-Known Member

How can you still say that? And how can you claim that the majority of the community rejects the topic? There is but a vocal minority that always comes up for the same arguments. Although they're proven to be false.
  9. arseface

arseface Post Master General

Tech 2 units and eco already do that, and I'd argue against the current situation while STILL arguing in favor of megabots.

Valid suggestions for megabots that would not invalidate the current roster have been given. Roles that would actually NEED to be filled by bigass units.
  10. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

They haven't proven to be false, you just don't agree.

and considering that only a small % of people are actually on the forum, including you, they are all apart of the vocal minority.

And most of that minority rejects the idea.
    brianpurkiss likes this.
  11. Arachnis

Sorry but that's just your personal opinion. I didn't see one good explanation of why Megabots would invalidate other units. It is always claimed to be so, but never said why. And saying that because it was the case in SupCom is not a valid argument. Like arseface said, there have been actual suggestions for Megabots that wouldn't invalidate other units. So what's your point?
  12. igncom1

That your opinion doesn't make it fact, any more then mine.

And the terms you use for these units is the biggest problem, especially when what you suggest would be much easier to understand if you used proper terminology for what they are.

Such as support units, siege units, assault units.

Holding into the term of Megabots inherently implys that you want the supcom experiments by another name.

And for that, I WILL NEVER agree with your idea, ever.
  13. Arachnis

Why is that? We're already using a different name. If we were talking about experimentals we'd use the name experimentals.
  14. igncom1

Megabots, they are like bots, but mega.

Nope, normal bots are fine for me, and make more sense in the lore.

If Megabots are so mega, we would only use them, and so they wouldn't be mega.

Im putting my foot down on this issue, no Megabots, I am going to be stubborn, I am not going to change my mind, this is final.

No Megabots.
  15. leighzer

leighzer Member

I think the size is great! :D
  16. Arachnis

Seem like some kind of unreasonable paranoia is going on here.

mega
    ˈmɛgə/
    informal
    adjective
    1. 1.
      very large; huge.
      "he has signed a mega deal to make five movies"

2. 2.
      excellent.
      "it will be a mega film"
    So "mega" means awesome, extreme or just large.

It doesn't imply anywhere that if implemented in a RTS-game that we'd "only use it".
    You're arguing very subjectively.
  17. aevs

aevs Post Master General

I'll be honest, I never played supcom and so I don't see what the main problems might be for adding a larger more expensive bot. So long as it isn't "this unit is basically a dozen slammers in one unit", it may add some interesting gameplay mechanics as a front line unit. Even if that were the case, allowing combat fabbers to assist such a unit would work much differently than with a swarm of slammers, as a larger heath pool will allow it to take fire without losing firepower, or to retreat and heal up without losing numbers.
    Including a vanguard-esque bot would be more of a buff to combat fabbers than anything else as far as I can tell, since most units now don't have enough health for combat fabbers to be effective during an assault.

Then again, maybe I'm underestimating what people think 'mega-bot' should mean.
  18. igncom1

As are you.
  19. Arachnis

I'm arguing subjectively when showing you the definition of the word?

Interesting.
  20. igncom1

It is of your opinion that a mega bot will be good, I am of the opinion that it will not be.

I care little about you trying to push your point with a dictionary, when there is still a distinction you are making between your suggestion and the rest of the games units.

Lose the distinction, otherwise Megabots are experimental, and nothing you have ever said has proven me otherwise.

Using different names means nothing.
    brianpurkiss likes this.