Moons w/Water!

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by pivo187, December 6, 2013.

1. pivo187

pivo187 Active Member

For the first time I messed with the system editor & I noticed putting water on moons is not there yet, Will it be possible soon?
  2. chronosoul

chronosoul Well-Known Member

That wouldn't be a bad idea. Since moons have no atmosphere. they could have Ice as well as Ice chunks in their outer layer.

Depending on how close the moon is to the sun. it could have bodies of water.
  3. pieman2906

pieman2906 Well-Known Member

I'm more concerned about getting the biomes working a little better on earth templates.

Currently, you cant make an entirely desert planet, because setting the water level to 0 makes the mountain biome kick in everywhere (i think mountain biome is currently tied to how far away water bodies are currently)

I want my Tatooine dammit! (or my entirely perfect round ice ball planet as well)
  4. pivo187

pivo187 Active Member

Just got the idea...I've been playing on moons bc they seem to run the best vs planets w/crack and mountains. But moons getting abit boring so I thought adding water would be pretty cool but currently its not possible. I think for retail it would be cool if we could create planets w/ all elements on one big planet.
    pieman2906: Yea I agree. Tonight was the first time I even messed with it. Like you said its not working 100%.
  5. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Actually, that is impossible in space without an atmosphere. In a vacuum water goes from Ice to Vapor through a process (a long, high energy one) called sublimation.

Put simply, there is no liquid water in space, and there is no magical orbit around a star that will keep water liquid in a vacuum

Ok. My astrophysicist side will go back into the corner it usually resides now. ;)
    blacksword13 and timberwolf1777 like this.
  6. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Would be pretty cool to have an additional biome for Moons.

Neat idea.

I don't know if Uber has plans to put water on Moons. It's probably just an underdeveloped UI.
  7. timberwolf1777

timberwolf1777 New Member

Yeah. I was gonna make the same point when I started reading this thread... You beat me to it. Nice. ;)

When a comet, which as we know is a ball of mostly ice, comes even somewhat close to the sun's solar wind (on the inside of its long elliptical orbit), it starts subliming like crazy. The vapor cloud is what creates a comet's tail. Liquid water never exists and any ice, in a vacuum, close enough to the sun to be constantly hit by the solar wind in force (like on a moon) will sublime away fairly rapidly.
    Last edited: December 6, 2013
  8. pivo187

pivo187 Active Member

Just for the fun of it..we realize oceans aren't possible on the moon but isn't uber shooting for awesome! This is a futuristic game & everything being realistic is not so awesome...
    beer4blood likes this.
  9. chronosoul

chronosoul Well-Known Member

Okay science guys, you win.

However, I wouldn't be against multi-colored chunks of crystal forming on the surface of a moon like some sort of weird alloy.

I was thinking of the moon that is on Saturn that has a Ice moon with an ocean underneath it when I was making that comment.
    blacksword13 likes this.
  10. timberwolf1777

Real realism is not so awesome but Im of the opinion of trying to at least pay homage to the idea of how the universe actually works. Im willing to buy an idea that can be sort of explained by futuristic extrapolations of physics theories that currently exist but when you say F&%$ it to even the idea of realism, you lose me. A lot of the sci fi buffs (who are a huge percentage of the players that would love this game) feel the same.
  11. timberwolf1777

Now, random multicolored space crystals on the other hand = awesome!

Saturn and Jupiter's moons have the advantage of being far from the solar wind that Earth's moon gets. (They get 5% or less and boast some thin atmosphere too.) As we are playing in games that have "Earth" planets, we could probably assume the moons are in a much hotter zone than Saturn is ... Unless the devs want to create some sort of orbital distance based calculation for moon orbits with respect to the sun which would allow for moons at some specific distance to have ice on them ... but that seems silly. I personally like the moon texture as is unless ... crystals also become a thing ;)
    Last edited: December 6, 2013
    blacksword13 likes this.
  12. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

As timber said above me, there is being awesome, and then there is your imagination. This time, its your imagination. :)
  13. pieman2906

Ganemede, One of Jupiter's moons. Really cool place!

(pun intended)
  14. pivo187

pivo187 Active Member

Yes imagination is fun...So Uber lets put the option to allow water on moons & go as far as being able to make a planet with all known earth-like conditions: ice,lava,desert,water ect & even alienlike planets mentioned before! This being a futuristic game I would think there is some crazy planets involved in the lore that obviously cannot exist in our known world. BTW Ganymede (Jupiter III) A saltwater ocean is believed to exist nearly 200 km below Ganymede's surface, sandwiched between layers of ice... There you have it!
  15. mabdeno

mabdeno Active Member

Liquid Methane as water on moons, happens quite often in our solar system...
    Gerfand likes this.
  16. Gerfand

Gerfand Active Member

For moons would be cool, if a ice asteroid crash on it...

And for Metal Planets?
  17. lapsedpacifist

lapsedpacifist Post Master General

Europa is actually the only moon in our solar system thought to have a liquid water under an ice shell (due to tidal heating).
    I think so anyway.
  18. SleepWarz

SleepWarz Active Member

Comets are not usually made of ice, sorry to break it to you.

I also recommend you look up 'starwater' theory too.
  19. pieman2906

It totally is Europa. I keep getting those two mixed up.