Try Uber Launcher Over Steam ASAP

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by pivo187, December 5, 2013.

1. pivo187

pivo187 Active Member

I know several others have mentioned how much better the uber launcher runs over steam. Well I decided to try it out...And wow. The game literally runs silky smooth for me & is a night and day diff vs the steam version. I would highly recommend everyone to try the Uber launcher. Ive been telling everyone in game as well because it will make a huge difference in larger games!!
    Bastilean and brianpurkiss like this.
  2. NapoleonSolo

NapoleonSolo New Member

I redeemed my key for a steam version without making a note of it so I only have this version. How can I use the Uber launcher in this instance? Is it possible?
  3. ghost1107

ghost1107 Active Member

Yes
  4. pivo187

pivo187 Active Member

NapoleonSolo: You should be able to. All I did was use my uber forum account name and password. I'm not sure if this will work for you but it did for me..I started out with a steam account and just dled the uber launcher file and input my uber forum information and it worked. Lmk if uber launcher makes the game run better for you!

Someone should sticky this or make it more noticeable to others on the forum. I wouldn't be surprised if people stopped playing due to the laggy steam version. Using uber launcher could bring all these people back into the game.
    Last edited: December 5, 2013
  5. aqil29

aqil29 New Member

Where do I find the download for the uber launcher? I am downloading it via steam right now after JUST converting it to steam code.
  6. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Yeah. I definitely prefer using the Uber launcher.
  7. Bastilean

Bastilean Active Member

8. rmbruntz

rmbruntz New Member

Please, if someone knows how to use the Uber Launcher if we bought the game on Steam, could they post a solution?
  9. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

Go to uber's website, download the launcher, run the launcher, and now you're done.
  10. rmbruntz

rmbruntz New Member

Does it really run faster than Steam with Steam in-game disabled? I just tried both out and didn't notice any significant difference...
  11. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

12. Antiglow

Antiglow Well-Known Member

Thanks I was looking for a way to play without steam having to run all the time.
  13. ikickasss

ikickasss Active Member

I like it the way it is now... Protect your commander...
  14. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

I think it's the overlay.

the ui is already a 32bit app overlay, in a gradation of multiple executables. more than likely one (ore more) of them conflicts with steam overlay.

the day they remove coherentUI and code their own UI directely intergrated into PA.exe (which I really hope they do) this problem should probably stop.
  15. TheDeadlyShoe

TheDeadlyShoe Member

It's not actually clear where to get the Uber launcher. It took me a bit of searching and stumbling but eventually I found a thread in the Mac & Linux forum.

https://forums.uberent.com/threads/mac-and-linux-getting-started.47934/

The links here should let you get the launcher D/L. Ignore it if it thinks you don't have an account. Yes there is a windows link.
  16. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Steam Overlay it's not only reason of performance drops, even if you disable it Steam version still will be slowly. It's something Uber investigate and want to improve, but it's just not as easy.

Also Coherent clearly do not related to performance drops in Steam version.
    shootall likes this.
  17. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

are they going to make their own ui though?
  18. SXX

SXX Post Master General

What for?

Uber decide to make HTML/JavaScript-based UI long time ago and it's give infinity possibilities for modding. Coherent based on Chromium which is obviously best solution if you need HTML5 renderer and it's practically impossible to make something better than Chromium because Google spend hundreds of millions on it's development.

Technically Uber can make their own wrapper for Chromium instead of Coherent, but I doubt they want and I don't see any reason they need that.
  19. TheDeadlyShoe

TheDeadlyShoe Member

The reason would be if it's unacceptably slow. It wouldn't be the first game to have its framerates destroyed by the UI.
  20. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

The UI isn't slow persay. The only reasons it would be slow, is by Steam Overlay conflict, which you can turn off, or using steam, which you can use standalone even with steam purchase, or if your computer derps and opens up an addon for a web browser, mine does this with adblock so go to taskmanager and see if adblock is open or something.

Besides that, it might just not be working right with your network or ram or graphics or cpu. Troubleshoot them. Update the graphics and sound drivers, and directx and .net, set the graphics card to force threading, turn off shaders if you absolutely must...

My UI crashes ingame or I turn it off, and the game moves same speed. You can try it too, go to task manager and literally close all instances of "Coherent" while playing. Your UI will turn off, perhaps you can turn it back on with f5, but either way it should run same speed.