Movember

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by mkrater, October 24, 2013.

1. Polynomial

Polynomial Moderator Alumni

In this thread: too many dudes.
  2. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

Scathis couldn't wait to clean all his head hair off. :D
    [​IMG]
    [Edit]Damn giant picture is giant.
  3. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

You realize that game development is still disturbingly all men. Removing pure social game companies which has a little more balance, every team I've worked on usually has, at best, about a 1 to 10 ratio for women to men. And that's in unusual scenarios. More often it's closer to 1 to 20. At Uber, at the moment, it is, I think, 1 to 30.

It is, as you say, a lot of dudes. Though.. in fairness, in a thread about mustaches.. how many women do you want? Hmmmmm?
    BulletMagnet and cola_colin like this.
  4. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

paulzeke likes this.
  5. JammySTB

JammySTB Well-Known Member

I think my Comp Sci class has a M/F ratio of 10:1.
  6. mkrater

mkrater Uber Alumni

Yah, that's what I've heard is pretty typical in computer classes. However, when you move to the Psychology classes and get into Human Computer Interaction, there were a lot more women to help even things out. When it comes to User Research, I've found a pretty balanced scale.

But yah Polynomial, were you expecting the ladies to post their Mo's? :p I tried! I have a post-it Mo and a finger 'stache :D
  7. hostileparadox

hostileparadox Well-Known Member

Seems to be a similar pattern in my computer science/IT classes. Anywhere from 1-3 girls in a 30 person class. The one exception was Database class where they taught SQL, had like 5-6 girls there.
  8. Polynomial

Why is that though? Isn't game development essentially just a derivative of comp sci jobs?

Ironically I work with mostly women.
  9. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Honestly, it's hard to say for sure. Though a lot of it probably stems from the geek culture, which tends to be very exclusionary, and often misogynistic. Hardly a shock, if you look at how women are portrayed in 99% of all video games. Honestly, I'm shocked women even give "hard core" gaming a shot based on how they're portrayed in most games.

Anyway, I'll stop before I get on my soapbox, but there are a number of issues, and much of them revolve around the clan identity of gamers and game developers, and it's a shame that the industry, and the gaming community, aren't more welcoming of all interested gamers, regardless of their sex.
  10. Polynomial

It is a shame.

Diversity really does build better products.
    mkrater likes this.
  11. byrnghaer

byrnghaer Active Member

To hell with Movember. I do all beard, all the time. I don't need a month per year to grow some facial hair only to cut it off afterwards.