Where are the sound effects?

Discussion in 'Support!' started by azimuttheut, December 2, 2013.

1. azimuttheut

azimuttheut New Member

I find the game incredibly... quiet!

When you zoom out (strategic icons appear) sound effects are gone.
    You just have to watch a few ZaphodX videos (or other casters, no offense) to notice that between Howard's music and caster's voice, (almost) nothing is to be heard as games are almost entirely played at "strategic icons" level.

No sound in space?
  2. garatgh

garatgh Active Member

... If you did hear all the sounds effects from strategic zoom layer (seeing half the planet at once) i image that it would simply be chaotic noise...

It would get old very quickly. I would prefear silence.
    brianpurkiss likes this.
  3. azimuttheut

azimuttheut New Member

Indeed, but I guess there could be an in between tweak here...
  4. plink

plink Active Member

My guess is they have yet to put any real time into this yet. Be patient. Sounds are usually toward the end of game production. Once animation, effects and everything else are mostly finalized.
  5. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

I don't know of a single RTS that has all sound at all zooms.

If we had all sound at all zooms the game would be... too much. Just think of how big some of the planets can be. If you zoom out and heard everything? You'd hear hundreds of factories building, hundreds of units shooting and blowing up... and that doesn't even factor in if you were in Orbital.

plink is right though, sound still has a lot of work to be done.

Even so, sound won't be at all zooms. That'd just be too much. If that does happen, I'm turning the sound off.
  6. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

I think it would be pretty immersive if you would hear sounds at farther zoomed out levels, but silent and very dull, like you were underwater. I know this makes no sense in space but I can imagine this would be neat.
    Slamz likes this.
  7. azimuttheut

azimuttheut New Member

Absolutely, that was my point...
  8. Slamz

Slamz Well-Known Member

I kinda like this idea. They could probably do some mixing and muting to simplify the audio and keep it from becoming a problem too. Like instead of overlaying the sound of 289 individual Doxes firing, there would just be a sound for "lots of doxes shooting" or even "lots of combat", like a low, muted rumble, scaled based on the number of units fighting/dying. Structural explosions would be played 1-for-1, but muted and distant.

Could work.