Creating Dyson Spheres in game for solar power or defense.

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by stevedaman1228, November 29, 2013.

1. stevedaman1228

stevedaman1228 Member

Who else thinks it would be really cool if you could make a sphere around a planet or a sun? Obviously this would be really expensive and would be pretty damn big, still it would be really cool and could prove an alternative energy source to gas giants if you surround a sun for solar power or a planet for better defense like a metal planet.

Here's some pictures of 2 possible ways of doing it, full encapsulation:
    http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_matdj4uL0A1qcjarro1_1280.jpg
    (Ignore the terraformed area on the inside of the sphere, that's not what I'm talking about. It's the fact that it's a solid structure.)

Or being surrounded by a sphere of satellites:
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_POLLQUrF2B0/RwtottrwgxI/AAAAAAAAAag/2TuJ6dCb9lc/s400/Dyson_Bubble.png

For those not clear on what a Dyson Sphere is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyson_sphere
    Last edited: November 29, 2013
  2. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Planets are kept around a star by having a high tangential velocity that gives them an orbit. The top and bottom of a dyson sphere don't have orbits (to see this, put a sports ball on a table and spin it like a top). Without an orbit, huge sections of the sphere would simply fall into the star.

The best you'll ever get is a dyson ring. It sounds like a really awesome map type, but I don't think the game engine supports the whole "reverse gravity hollowed world" at this stage.
  3. stevedaman1228

stevedaman1228 Member

Its a video game dude. Realism isn't really a huge factor when making awesome things to destroy robots with. Regardless doesn't what your saying only apply to a sphere of satellites, not an actual sphere built around around globe?
  4. Teod

Teod Well-Known Member

I think Dyson spheres are out of scope of this game. We can't even build metal planets.

Also, Dyson spheres, while giving good economical efficiency in the long run, lack immediate tactical advantage. There is no point building one during battle for the system.
  5. ryan375

ryan375 New Member

True, but the rest of the sphere could potentiality support the parts of it that don`t have an orbit.

Also it would be awesome if there were ringworlds.
    stevedaman1228 likes this.
  6. stevedaman1228

stevedaman1228 Member

I envision something like this being applicable in late game Galactic War, single player or multiplayer. I wouldn't expect anything like this in the beta or in a single system game. It's something that holds appeal for a system you want to get more resources out of or to gain a tactical advantage (when you have the resources for its hefty construction of course)
  7. stevedaman1228

stevedaman1228 Member

I'm not saying anything against ring worlds, but I wasn't saying it is a standalone structure. This is something you need a planet to build around in order to sonstruct. Otherwise it might as well be a metal planet (which would be awesome to build)
  8. GreenBag

GreenBag Active Member

Don't Dyson spheres encircle an entire solar systems?
    stevedaman1228 likes this.
  9. stevedaman1228

stevedaman1228 Member

10. GreenBag

GreenBag Active Member

Using that link we do have a dyson ring simply with a moon/asteroid base orbiting the planet besides OP would be more fun
  11. Bastilean

Bastilean Active Member

I love Ring World (Dyson Ring).

If we had a Ring World at Earth's Orbit it would be 600,000,000 miles in circumference.

If said Ring World was 1/10 of the Earth's diameter in width it would be 80 miles across.

This would be 342 times the surface area of Earth.

What this means for an in game ring world is the surface area, assuming the outside of the ring was not inhabitable by robots, is incredulously big.
    Last edited: November 29, 2013
  12. Teod

Teod Well-Known Member

Technically you are right, but this kind of construction requires full control over the resources of entire solar system (and probably even more).

Do I sound rude when I say that this is another "let's add this awesome thing because it's awesome and this game is also awesome"? It should be beneficial to the gameplay in the first place. Then you can use "awesome" as supporting argument. You can't push gameplay feature only for awesome.
  13. stevedaman1228

stevedaman1228 Member

Look at my reply to Teod earlier in the thread where I address the application of this.
  14. GreenBag

GreenBag Active Member

Then again I'm wondering if the mods will create a Discworld from Terry Pratchett