Big Update Next Week!

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by brianpurkiss, November 22, 2013.

1. vackillers

vackillers Well-Known Member

Being a bigger patch this time is probably more down to a lot more performance fixes with some other minor like metal placements and AI pathing across all planet types. Be nice if sli was properly implemented though at long last :D
  2. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Based on testing last week and today, this should hopefully never happen again. Or at least very rarely. This is vastly improved.
  3. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

The Realm complain about how many "likes" you get. I tell them I am a large part of that reason. The other being that you post the patch notes which get like 10 likes a piece.

Here is one more.
    drz1 likes this.
  4. jacob29

jacob29 Member

Anything added is a good patch in my eyes.
  5. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

I'd just like to say that I have had EXACTLY the same planet generate for me multiple times now (by which I mean everything is the same. Even going down to metal distribution)

So if you don't have a balanced start. . . It's kinda because you haven't got someone to play the planet in advance.
  6. garat

Well, we'd also like to get our random planet generation a little more dialed in. Right now, purely random planets can be pretty weird. We don't have the right hard constraints on planet generation for random. But that's another thing that's coming.

In general, if I was recommending people to play with the current state of the game, I'd say make a few favorite solar systems that have:
    - One main body (700 - 1000 meters max, depends on your computer)
    - One main moon (400 - 600)
    - 1 - 4 "asteroids" in the 100 - 300 range for dropping rocks on people's head

This is the known range that plays pretty well on most people's computers. It also has the advantage of providing some more reliable gameplay. Want the same system just with a different layout? Go into the system editor and change the seeds. :)
    LavaSnake and stormingkiwi like this.
  7. stormingkiwi

Yeah ;)

I really like the fact that the same system can be reproduced... but is it possible to view the seed of planets and so on in-game, if there is one you really like? I had that great system last week which generated an approximation of the boot of Italy
  8. garat

No, but we should have a mechanism to at least more easily allow people to share systems soon. It's something I've been pushing on for a while.
  9. stormingkiwi

Oh cool... Any possibly of future implementation of such a feature do you think? (To pull the system generation details from the server somehow?)
  10. jacob29

jacob29 Member

Will there be random spawn locations?

on my home-made system we always start in the exact same spots but it would be nice if there was variation.
  11. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Awesome! REALLY been looking forward to this. I really want to share some of my favorite systems.
    Bastilean likes this.
  12. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

Heh, I feel more excited for this weeks update than I did about last week's Xbox One launch, or this week's imminent PS4 laucnh (UK, by the way)....is that wrong?
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  13. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

absolutely.. one of the biggest concerns right now imo. Next to UI. And graphic's card loadout^^
  14. chronosoul

chronosoul Well-Known Member

What is the server name for the IRC chat.. This is the first time i've heard of it.
  15. cxa

cxa New Member

The channel is #planetaryannihilation on irc.esper.net.
  16. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

Esper.

http://irc.lc/esper/planetaryannihilation
  17. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

soooooo, a new build is out, and to be honest, despite some good tweaks, hasn't really blown me away with awesome....Is this the update they were talking about, or is it going to be the stuff in the livestream that we are shown that will blow our puny minds? If so, Y U NO GIVE US NOOWWWW??
  18. pivo187

pivo187 Active Member

Didnt notice much in new build. Cant wait for a build that makes a big difference =)
  19. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

yeh, I mean, balanced metal spots at start of the match is still a BIG thing, as it improves the competitive play. Adjusting the bomber behaviour is also a good balancing attempt. It's just, you know, saying a big feature build is on the way, kind of implies to me that something LIKE a new unit, or unit cannon, or warp gates, or something else along those lines, was on the way... I'm just a little disappointed, I guess. #firstworldproblems
  20. cmdandy

cmdandy Active Member

Yep this was the build. Garat miss spoke and got everyone excited; although this build contains a ton of useful stuff- it's not really exciting stuff. Its not the stuff everyone is waiting for.

I too am waiting for the builds that start to make a big difference to the important stuff like UI, units, interplanetary combat, orbital and (I remain in hope) scale. Unfortunately every week for a month I've been disappointed. My only fear is how are we going to get any time to test the big changes if release is now basically in a month.

At this rate either the game will launch half baked and get slated, or they are going to have to push back the launch.