Planet Fragments

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by h4344, October 11, 2013.

1. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

This.
    is.
    awesome.
    LavaSnake likes this.
  2. airiannawingtips

airiannawingtips New Member

And this is why I suggested lasting bits of dibris... *giggles insanely* (She hates beer, but would sit down and drink a wine cooler with the guys... as they drink *gurgles a bit* beer...)
  3. GreenBag

GreenBag Active Member

Is this leading to the Red Dwarf idea of playing pool with planets?
  4. Avaruusmurkku

Avaruusmurkku New Member

It's a very good idea, but it should only happen in certain conditions.

When two planets smash they generate incredible amounts of energy. This energy will usually melt the planet and the colliding body into a ball of magma which will reform into a planet and solidify if given enough time. This is how our moon was created when that thing with a size of Mars hit Earth so long ago.

That being said, the shattering should only happen in certain conditions. Maybe only with small moons or asteroids are annihilated? Two planets of equal size colliding? Metal planet death-laser destruction? Maybe fragments of annihilated metal planets which can be reclaimed after they have fallen to another celestial body? Would be kind of a scary yet welcome thing; the thing might crush your base or it may miss it a bit and give you tons of free metal.
  5. agmarstrick

agmarstrick Member

I too love this, but logically it would occur where a similarly sized object collides with the planet. Maybe on any impact you'd get a ring of ejecta, but to actually break up a planet you need to hit it with something the same size.
  6. SleepWarz

SleepWarz Active Member

Gravity is but a feather on the wind compared to electricity in space.
  7. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

I presume you mean electromagnetics? Yes, radiation is indeed a strong source of force, but it isn't as interesting as gravity.

So let's make the force of gravity stronger! That couldn't possibly break any laws of physics.
    stormingkiwi and LavaSnake like this.
  8. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

Ok, this:
    [​IMG]
    This doesn't happen in real life. And it could never happen in real life.

In PA, this needs to happen.
  9. nixtempestas

nixtempestas Post Master General

Would be cool if a planet comes too close to a gas giant it would get ripped apart, scattering the planet as an asteroid belt.

Realistic and would have very interesting gameplay implications, especially if base structures could survive some of the splitting (not so realistic, but meh, whatever)
  10. mushroomars

Metal Planets' superweapons (if they have one) should cause planets to shatter like glass. Heh. What if the metal planets literally turned their target into glass and then shattered it with an explosion?

I'm not sure if fighting on a glass planet would be conducive to good gameplay or would be an impediment.
    LavaSnake likes this.
  11. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

12. eroticburrito

eroticburrito Post Master General

It doesn't happen close to us, thank god, but I'd imagine it probably has somewhere out there, where maniacal machines are fighting for galactic supremacy *raging boner*
    stormingkiwi and LavaSnake like this.
  13. SleepWarz

SleepWarz Active Member

Nope I mean the actual forces of electricity in space that can overcome gravity and creates the filament structures that we see in space bound plasma (nebulas). And I would heavily disagree with gravity being more interesting than the ignored electrical potential of orbital bodies. All I can say unless you actually are interested in cosmology is that it is going to seriously change over the next 20 years as we dismiss the majority of accepted mathmagic theorycrafting (blackholes) and move towards truly testable theories that exist in plasma physics. Space is full of plasma, both in light and dark states. One researcher I have been following closely is Wal Thornhill and his breakdowns of discoveries of mainstream science vs the electric universe. One of my dreams is to see the effects of electrical potential differences between bodies in PA. So when someone is attempting to throw an object at you it should start throwing a cometary tail as it moves from one either higher or lower charged area into the same. If you didnt build discharge towers it should have a chance to explode. But I guess I'll have to mod in the realistic space behavior. I do find it strange that the theory of venus being a comet ejected from saturn doesnt get more attention even considering that the idea first came to light in the 1950's... And the fact that cultures revere venus as a god, and the fact that it rotates backwards, and the fact that its slowing down... If only modern cosmology wasnt so deep in the 'big bullshit theory' we could get some funding for useful research.

WHAT HAPPENED SCIENCE?!

Actually, it could very well happen as that almost happened with earth and mars when they were arcing between eachother 5-10 thousand years ago during the saturn conjunction when **** really went haywire in our solar system. Where do you think mt olympus and the pillar of heaven terms came from. Physical effects of this can be seen all across the surface of mars, including what we call 'volcanos' are actually where the planets were connected electrically as well as the valis maranaris trench. All products of heavy electrical interaction in our solar system. Thats how one of mars' moons is actually a chunk of the surface is it was electrically removed and launched into space. Not quite a full on planet halfer, but I figure if we look enough, we will find this happening elsewhere considering it almost happened in our backyard. Its as simple as looking back and asking the question why did ancient cultures revear space and the planets so much if all we see today are tiny specs. Obviously, history has some explaining to do. And we can find that history in religious texts once you sort past the god bullshit.
    Last edited: November 22, 2013
    mushroomars and LavaSnake like this.
  14. Nayzablade

Nayzablade Active Member

Haha, Lavasnake does a lot of liking :)

Snapping a planet's back would be something grand in a strategy game like PA...not sure if it can be implemented though. Although, the devs have stated that the Engine is very flexible for unusually shaped planets...sure I read that somewhere, correct me if I am wrong though.

Whatever is planned for the Metal "Super" Planet, will be interesting. I would imagine it to be something different to an asteroid collision.
    LavaSnake likes this.
  15. LavaSnake

LavaSnake Post Master General

Only when there's a lot of likeable stuff. ;) Honestly, if you write a good/funny/helpful post, I WILL like it. Just because you deserve it for being a productive member of this community.

That it will. Uber has been dropping lots of hints about those metal planets being special.
    cwarner7264 and drz1 like this.
  16. mushroomars

Wow, that was informative. Thank you!

However, as per my usual doctrine, I will ask for a source or two because A) I'm rather interested in this and B) I've never heard of it before so I'm skepticul, as any purveyor of knowledge should be.
  17. ghost1107

ghost1107 Active Member

I find the current planet smashing mechanics lacking.

1. The asteroid is a moon.
    2. There aren't any asteroids belts.
    3. When the moon hits the planet it disappears, no remains, no asteroid belts.
    4. Result is always the same, all unit on the planet die. Size doesn't matter in the result.
    --- small asteroid, range like a nuke, with crater
    --- Med asteroid, range like T1 radar, large crater, lava coming out of the planet
    --- Large asteroid, range like T2 radar, hole in planet, cracks all over the planet.
    --- moon, planet destroyed
    5. Only a small crater is left behind, earth planet doesn't become lava planet.
    LavaSnake likes this.
  18. LavaSnake

LavaSnake Post Master General

I second that. Planet smashing is an epic idea and I'd like to see some more polish added.
  19. rovetjw

rovetjw Member

I think its a graet idea
  20. DeathToARM

DeathToARM New Member

Planet Fragments is a bad idea "Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space." The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy things will not hit each other by accident.