I can't turtle against air units =[

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by mafoon, November 24, 2013.

1. mafoon

mafoon Member

The only counter for someone that spams tier 2 bombers is tier 2 fighters, but i'd like an extra option, there's a tier 2 laser turret why isn't there a tier 2 AA?
  2. mafoon

mafoon Member

FYI i don't turtle every game it's just fun sometimes to make that wall of death that destroys everything before it even reaches you, cept them pesky bombers grrr
  3. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

4. mafoon

mafoon Member

The problem is T1 AA get out ranged by T2 bombers and they just all explode before they can make a dent, T1 fighters work but you end up with that ugly whirlwind of fighters flying around your base, tbh it's more an OCD thing about when i turtle it has to be a structural thing not units.
  5. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Currently air supremacy is the only way to defend against air forces.

T2 fighters are great for this.

As towards turtling, you might have use for fighters anyway as scouts for your artillery/nukes/orbital lasers/bots ready to steamroll.
  6. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Until they meet 20 t2 fighters and 10 t2 bombers behind them.

Works every time.
    Quitch and stuart98 like this.
  7. Murcanic

Murcanic Well-Known Member

^^ by the time you get that up i'll have nuked ya and sent my army of tanks in :) with fighter support of course :)
  8. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Well yeah, we all know your little spam+nuke tactic :)

That works everytime too.

Hey, so many ways to win in a 1v1 lol.

I love turtles though. Really, I do. Especially in large FFAs. Just bypass + completely surround them with pelters so you can deal with them later. And orbital fighters, to make sure things dont get out of hand ;)

Still. Weakness of a Bomber snipe: Fighter spam. Weakness of an Orbital Snipe: Moving target. Weakness of a Nuke Snipe: AntiNukes. Weakness of an Asteroid Snipe: An enemy's Superior Economy.

Etc Etc.

Honestly I wish they had T2 AA, would make things much simpler for turtlers. Wouldn't want to make 'em think TOO much now. :p

#sarcasmextreme
    stuart98 likes this.
  9. Slamz

Slamz Well-Known Member

Usually I can still bomb someone to death pretty easily if they have fighter coverage.

Option 1: Send in plenty of my own fighters and kill all their fighters.
    Option 2: Send in enough of my own fighters to create a distraction while the bombers come in behind them.
    Option 3: Use my fighters to draw their fighters (e.g., patrollers) off course while my bombers then come in.

Option 3 to drag their fighter force over a large force of mobile AA or a firebase they hadn't dealt with is always fun too.

I think one of the very first single-unit releases done for TA was the flak cannon, because massed air power was such a problem in TA too. The problem is that base TA and current PA have no area-damage attacks that hit air. A swarm of tanks gets blasted by Holkins AE and bomber AE but there's no AE for an air swarm.

And 20 T2 fighters + 10 T2 bombers isn't even what I'd call "a lot". This is also an incredibly awesome defense force because T2 bombers are ridiculously good at killing swarms of ground units and the 20 T2 fighters protect them quite well.
    Bastilean likes this.
  10. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

If you pepper a lot of AA spaced around, it is very awkward to assault with t2 bombers. You need fighters if you want to take bombers out before they get in and drop their payload. T2 fighters are very good because they take out t2 bombers in one hit.
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  11. Murcanic

Murcanic Well-Known Member

AntiNukes are no big deal atm xD just nuke outside there range, or bomber snipe ether way the nuke will still take out a chunk of the base. the better counter to nukes is to have multiple bases and spread out the power gens as much as possible :) of course have multiple bases means you need to have an expanded eco and well not turtle a huge amount :p

As for everyone knows my spam and nuke tactic... hmmm I'd change it but its been working so well for me :p when someone comes up with a good counter then i shall of course mix it up abit :3
    mered4 likes this.
  12. mot9001

mot9001 Well-Known Member

T2 bombers are the 2nd best units in the game. (pelter being the absolute best) The only thing that works is a T2 fighter, 1 bomber can easily kill over 100 levelers, so you really want to have some options. T1 fighters are ok, but they usually kill the bomber after he made his drop so that isnt really what you want.
  13. igncom1

Well ideally you would intercept the bombers before they get to the target anyway.
  14. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

There are no tools to protect against a bomber's attack. Your only hope is to kill the bomber before it kills you. Since bombers are the most front loaded units in the game, it's easier said than done.
  15. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Your post title should be "I can't turtle against anything."

Turtling is not an effective strategy in PA.

That being said, air is OP right now.

The best way to counter air is with air of your own. Build lots of fighters, and missile defense towers. Though missile defense towers aren't that great.
  16. igncom1

Well......on the smaller maps turtling is THE tactic, because why would you ever build mobile units when you can hit them from home?

And it's kind of a problem really, the problem that SupCom had where you just build guns/missiles that shoot across the map along with fighters.

Its.....really silly.