Rocket boosters falling and destroying Engineers

Discussion in 'Support!' started by chronosoul, November 16, 2013.

1. chronosoul

chronosoul Well-Known Member

So I was playing a rather long game where I was sending a Moon to planet smash this ice planet that was rather far away.

Just for kicks I built an orbital launcher and launched some landers into orbit... as I was building and rockets were getting dumped back onto the moon they were blowing up engineers that were on the ground...

I did it a couple times and it actually killed a good size of engineers.

Has anyone else experienced this?

In short. Orbital launcher that is on moon that is being propelled to an Ice planet has rocket boosters falling on Fabbers and killing the Fabbers.
  2. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Yep, they are supposed to to just this.

So be careful where you build your launchers!
  3. dekate

dekate Member

ive seen some thing to note here, if you give the orbital fac a move order... rallypoint-ish ... the rocket will probably land there ... after it delivered its freight to orbit.

otherwise the rocket just spins into orbit and falls straight back down.

as far as i observed.
  4. odric

odric New Member

Yeah pretty sure it's supposed to do that, lost some power plants in a long orbital battle.
  5. carn1x

carn1x Active Member

This seems like a very strange mechanic. Whoever designed these boosters (in the game lore) is an idiot.
  6. igncom1

Yeah, real life rocket boosters are totally retarded rite?
  7. carn1x

carn1x Active Member

Real life rockets don't drop onto populated areas, don't they drop over the ocean and are planned to do so?

Edit: a quick read over https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Shuttle_Solid_Rocket_Booster mentions that they parachute into the ocean and are refurbished and reused many times over. In the event the boosters become out of control they can be remotely exploded to prevent damage to objects on the ground.
    Last edited: November 17, 2013
  8. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Remotely exploded. They should program that into the boosters ingame. They explode half way back down.

I never noticed rockets did damage on return. I thought i saw them land exactly on top my unit too.
  9. igncom1

Real life land launch pads also aren't build in populated areas to prevent this.
  10. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

Not quite correct. real life rocket launchers aren't built in populated areas because the associated decibel levels are dangerous to organic hearing and excessively annoying. but of course, neither of the above is an issue for robots
    RainbowDashPwny likes this.
  11. chronosoul

chronosoul Well-Known Member

I guess I wouldn't have to much of a problem with this if I knew that these boosters can be used as weapons upon ground impact... might as well set the rally point of these booster rockets to be over an enemy base to bombard them with spent booster rocket shells haha.
  12. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

hmm "SpaceX Grasshopper" I say to that topic :D
    carn1x likes this.
  13. carn1x

carn1x Active Member

That doesn't excuse PA's rocket-boosters-from-the-future lacking the 2 other safety features: Parachutes and remote detonation.

Despite this pointless debate over realism that I let myself get dragged into, what's the purpose of this rather odd mechanic that causes damage to your own base for getting into space? I really can't see the motivation behind it.
  14. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

No idea.

I try desperately to kill my own stuff as well, and I always fail...
  15. igncom1

Rule of cool.
  16. Puzzlemaker

Puzzlemaker New Member

Personally I think it's hilarious and awesome, if slightly annoying.
  17. stevenrs11

stevenrs11 Active Member

First time this happened to me I was playing around and had like 20 orbital launchers. I spent forever trying to use them as defensive turrets.
    carn1x and stormingkiwi like this.