The early game is too slow

Discussion in 'Support!' started by Quitch, November 17, 2013.

1. Slamz

Slamz Well-Known Member

That's a bug. It happens if someone doesn't pick fast enough. You don't have very long to pick so if you're quibbling over A, B or C in team chat you'll probably see the game start and you won't have a commander anywhere.

Actually had one team apparently ALL take too long to decide. They started with no commanders.
  2. Dementiurge

Dementiurge Post Master General

Watch: the egg will start you with three scout units and a free uber cannon shot, but do nothing to change the economy.
  3. zGeneral

zGeneral Member

what about a small window (time) for instant building (in a restricted area around the commander) with an overloaded M/E as Cola suggested.
    similar to what we had in metal fatigue
  4. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

forgive the strained analogy, but how is this different about debating how everyonein Halo should start with a rocket launcher and be able to teleport to the first opponent to shoot them, to do away with the "boring" part?
    I dunno, it just seems like all RTSs have a certain predictability about the early game.
  5. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

i agree. first 2 minutes are a waste of time^^ (considering for a fast game this is 10% of the game time xD) I hope the "egg" comes soon.
  6. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Repeating a pointless three minutes for hundreds of games is very much a problem. If it adds nothing, then why have it?

That's a terrible analogy. Everyone in Halo starts with a gun. Interaction, decision making and variation happen almost from the opening second.
    Last edited: November 18, 2013
  7. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

Everyone starts PA with a commander. What you do next is up to you. I'd argue that just because there is a clearly optimal path, you shouldn't just skip everyone to that part. Why not have it so people start with 100 bots, three factories and multiple energy producers/mex, because the 5-10 minutes before that point is terribly dull?
  8. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

*Shrug* Then it will be yet another thing I will have to Mod to make better. I'll add it to the list should such a horrific misjudgment come to pass.
  9. Quitch

Are you being intentionally obtuse? Because the point up to the factory requires no player thought or decision making and adds nothing to the game, but there's plenty of decision making which would occur between one factory and having three factories, massive expansions and hundreds of bots.
  10. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

Or between, y'know... the four different factories on offer.
    :rolleyes:

You can't just assume what the players first factory choice is going to be. This game isn't all about Bots, y'know? We're supposed to have planes, tanks and boats too and all of them need to be 'First Factory' viable as a choice within many different games.
    Last edited: November 18, 2013
    cmdrflop, stormingkiwi, drz1 and 2 others like this.
  11. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

heh, yes I was being intentionally facetious, sorry if you didn't pick up on...
    I'm just saying, people are so obsessed with streamlining things these days, I actually enjoy the early game, where there is less stress, and I can ease myself into the game.
    In the end though, it's only my preference, and you certainly raise some valid points :)
  12. torrasque

torrasque Active Member

We should ask the dev to add a settings to make the loading screen last longer.
  13. gunshin

gunshin Well-Known Member

lol
    zaphodx likes this.
  14. godde

godde Well-Known Member

This will actually have the opposite effect.
    Since the economy grows faster and the players have more resources available they can transition into t2 even earlier.
    If you want to nerf the t2 economy then you can increase the price on or cut the output from advanced metal extractors and advanced power plants.
    nanolathe and Quitch like this.
  15. Bhaal

Bhaal Active Member

Can you please get a brain? He explained it perfectly but you seem to ignore him. Your ignorant spam makes me sad, very sad.
  16. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

I didn't ignore him, I answered him be we couldn't agree.

So don't be rude.
  17. Slamz

Slamz Well-Known Member

Everything discussed in this thread makes it easier to rush to T2, so that point is moot. If commanders start with extra metal and energy, that's just all the quicker they can get to T2. If factories are cheaper, that's all the quicker they can get to T2. If we start the game with 1 metal maker and 2 energy makers, that's all the quicker we can get to T2.

If you really want to slow down the transition into T2, you should significantly increase the cost of T2 factories, but that's not the point of the thread.

The point of the thread is speeding up the action in T1.

Increasing T1 generation rates will speed up the action in T1. It will also, incidentally, nerf T2 by relative value, which I think needs to be done. It speeds up the transition, just like every other idea in this thread, but it decreases the value of doing so.
  18. GoogleFrog

GoogleFrog Active Member

In my experience this works quite well.
  19. liquius

liquius Well-Known Member

Your missing the point. Its not about how soon someone can get advanced factories up, it about how quickly they can get an advanced economy up. Advanced economy should be an investment, not an instant boost.
  20. Quitch

The point of this thread is to remove the section of the game where you work on auto-pilot without variation across hundreds of games. Basically, remove the first two minutes of the game as it plays currently.

That's it, nothing more. It's not about changing the balance of T1 relative to T2 and my initial post goes through why certain ways are better than others because they minimise impact to the game as it stands now.