UBER are awesome.

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by eroticburrito, November 12, 2013.

1. eroticburrito

eroticburrito Post Master General

Check my OP. The 24hr sale reduced beta access to $40, and is over now.
  2. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

Yes this thread is accurate. The google ticker tape thing is: (Note that was the link copied from Google)

Planetary Annihilation Beta: 33% – $39,99 ... - Humble Bundle

And polygon.com said:

Price has changed now, but it was $40 for a day.
  3. ghost1107

ghost1107 Active Member

[sarcasm]
    OMG, Life was unfair and not everybody got treated equaly. Impossible that never happens!
    [/sarcasm]

But seriously lighten up. It was a sale for 1 day to support a good cause. There are far worse things in the world.
    LavaSnake likes this.
  4. mot9001

mot9001 Well-Known Member

That saleprice is just weird.
  5. eroticburrito

6. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

In the time you guys complained about this you could have earned 20$ and spend them on the game ;)
    Bastilean likes this.
  7. siefer101

siefer101 Active Member

you recently edited the OP... those edits weren't there prior to my post. But regardless, I paid above what was required for alpha on the kick-starter and yet i don't feel upset knowing that some people got a cheaper price and some money went to Charity.....
  8. eroticburrito

No they weren't, but the bit about the 24hr sale was, and so was the time I made my original post.

Frankly, if you bought the Alpha then what are you doing here? You have that money to spare, and aren't attempting to empathise with those who don't.

I have no problem whatsoever with money going to charity, as I said in my OP.

The issue is over the fact that I and others backed a long time ago and have no access, and people who paid the same price recently now have access. I don't care whether the money goes to Uber or Humble Bundle ultimately, and people taking advantage of the low 24hr sale probably didn't either, so can we keep morality out of it please?
  9. siefer101

siefer101 Active Member

The time component of your argument is invalid as we both kick-started the project. And as a college student with little income to spare I saw validity in this project at the time and took it just as anybody else who believed in this project did.

Now. I would hope that morality is the primary reason Uber Ent put their game, their DEMANDED game, on to humble bundle. people who wanted the game now but hadn't heard about the Kickstarter or LACKED the means at the time now have the chance to get the product they want and Help those in need. I agree that some people only saw a price drop and helping the charities was a non-factor but remember these people didn't have prior knowledge of this event therefore they were on the same playing field as the rest of us.

Also I do empathize with those who are less fortunate because I 100% support Uber Entertainment's pricing deviation because it is there to raise money for various charitable causes. This price deviation is not on steam or the Uber Ent. store unless I'm missing some key information.

My sympathy is not for those who wish to save money for themselves, but for the benefactors on the receiving end of the charitable donations. Those truly in need. How about for instance, the people in the Philippines who have just been hit by the typhoon of the decade? They are being aided by the red cross who is receiving funding from various sources such as humble bundle who is able to generate funds by offering discounted games.

I am not able to donate as much as i would like through humble bundle, and yes I to have given the bare minimum for game packages. But at least I'm helping.

Ask yourself this:
    Is not having access to this game so important that you're willing to voice your displeasure knowing full well those who are getting a discounted price are assisting those TRULY in need?

And by the way, the money discounted by uber entertainment is a significant contribution, as that is less money they will have to build the game... this was done to incite donations and it succeeded, PA has been for the past couple days the #2 seller on the Humble Store

Uber Entertainment:
    You could put the game on humble bundle for 30$ and I would support your decision by probably get some keys for friends.
    And for that, You receive a tip of the hat :)
    shootall, paulusss and lokiCML like this.
  10. sokolek

sokolek Member

We all are idiots.
  11. rorschachphoenix

rorschachphoenix Active Member

I don't know what you're talking about. But yes. We are human beings. And that means we are definitely idiotic.
  12. eroticburrito

Siefer I asked you not to make this a moral issue.

You have made it both moral and political issue, which is just flame-war fuel.

It's a consumerist issue - backers who bought the Cosmic Edition ($40) paid the same for less.
    Moral pride has nothing to do with it.

If we characterised every consumerist act by the relativity of others' suffering, the world would be a much better place.
    But this is Capitalism.

For the record, in case you forget for a third time:
    • I believe in charity.
    • I like Humble Bundle.
    • I am happy the sale occurred.
    • I sympathise with those in the Philippines.
    • I am happy that Uber made the decision and sacrifice to do the sale.

I am not angry with Uber in the least at this point, just with the condescending way you're painting me as some sort of Scrooge.
    I never had the option to give to charity when purchasing the game, and yet now you're taking the moral high-ground because you gave and I didn't.

I could point out that if you bought the Alpha and would be prepared to buy $30 copies for your mates that you can't have quite as "little income to spare" as you claim. That or you seriously have nothing better to spend your money on. Why don't you just give all that money to charity? Because you're the devil, that's why.

You ask yourself this:
    Would Uber have put the sale on if the backers hadn't already bought in months ago and helped fund the game past its Stretch Goals?
    Last edited: November 17, 2013
  13. paulusss

paulusss Active Member

1. In all seriousness, what on earth are we discussing here?
    2. If people can't accept a decision that has been made by someone or something, then they should take a step back, look at it again, instead of shouting from the roof they do not agree with the decision being made.
    3. And stop complaining about **** this that doesn't benefit you and reread and rethink step 2. untill you get it!
    stormingkiwi and lokiCML like this.
  14. siefer101

siefer101 Active Member

To dump all of ones income into charity kills capitalism... (No money to spend on products)
    dumping all of ones money into capitalism kills charity... (No money left to donate)
    To truly benefit society one must strike a balance between the two.

As a College student working two jobs I am correct in saying that when i spend money on a kickstarter project i am spending 2 months of discretionary spending. Now with the scenario regarding giving packages to my friends should it be listed for such a cheap price, yes i think it is worth the associated cost. I loose the utility of 30$ but gain the satisfaction of Uber Ent getting more money to work with, the utility associated with donating to charity and being able to play PA with a friend. To me it's worth 30$.

To give all of ones income to others at the expense of being called " a Devil" would make it impractical to work.

Now I do believe that Uber Ent. would have put on the sale on the humble store regardless of timing due to the special conditions associated with the purchases made at the humble store.
    Edit (this is my belief based on personal observation, not factual based on information from uber ent)

I would like to apologize for coming off as condescending as well as the personal nature of my prior comment my intent was not launch an ad-hominem attack post. However to clarify the purpose of this post and previous posts I've made; I wanted to take the time to highlight the insignificance of any problems we as people fortunate enough and capable enough of affording this game have when compared to those who benefit from the donations received as a result of Uber's actions.

Now about the consumerist issue: I don't see a problem with what has happened, as it is a natural risk you take when you participate in capitalism.

Today gas is 2.90 $/gallon in canyon, Tx.... So i fill up my tank today

Tomorrow it is 2.80 $/gallon in Canyon, Tx.... I filled up yesterday at 2.90 and thought
    "damn should have waited a day"
    I'm not complaining to the chemical manufacturer or the distributor about the price change I just move on with the product i have. The above scenario can be applied in reverse

where instead of gas going to 2.80 it goes to 3.00 $/gallon. In that case i feel like i played capitalism well and think to myself "good thing i got my gas yesterday"...
    Remember in capitalism we all take risks associated with supply and demand and the right of the provider of a product or service to change their prices or makes special accommodations when they see fit. This is the true risk of the game and I'm willing to accept it as it promotes division of labor which promotes an increased level of product utility "products only get better never worse". If Uber Ent. wishes to continue this pricing for charitable causes not only do I support it, I support it knowing that no matter how much some people may hate it it is ultimately their decision to make.
    eroticburrito likes this.
  15. eroticburrito

I apologise for being a douche.

I too respect Uber's right to do what they're doing and I'm also happy money went to charity.

But lets be clear. If there are losers in the game of Capitalism, in this case they're the $40 Backers.

Edit: Also the devil thing was an absurd joke, I appreciate where you're coming from, I'm just more stingy.
    Last edited: November 18, 2013
    siefer101 likes this.
  16. jimosfear

jimosfear Member

This is quite outrageous, a great wrong has been committed against you. That probably sounds like sarcasm but it is not. You really should reach out to Uber for Beta access, in light of this development it would be wrong of them to refuse you.
  17. paulusss

paulusss Active Member

No, no and no, just no!
  18. paprototype

paprototype Member

Not the smartest move ever from to surpass (early) backers.
  19. bobolieux

bobolieux New Member

Follow me here..

Proper way to handle the situation is :

If any individual with beta access paid X dollars then,

Give access to donators that paid at least X dollars,

But only to those that donated prior to the purchase that granted access.

More people playing will only make the community grow faster, drawing in more sales pre-orders donations as fresh players try to recruit their friends to play with them.