Question to Uber about kickstarters.

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by goodbean, November 9, 2013.

1. goodbean

goodbean Well-Known Member

This one is directed at the guys at Uber, however if anyone has some insight into the subject go ahead and contribute.

First off I will say this: I might become involved in putting on a kickstarter, nothing set in stone yet but its a distinct possibility. I will only say its not for business trying to make a physical project. Other than that, I can't say anything else.

Considering the success of the Planetary Annihilation I figured that I would ask for advise from uber. What would you advise to anyone trying to do a kickstarter? Would you guys do anything different? What was the process in preparing the kickstarter? Anything else?

I will be grateful for any help and advise. Thanks.
  2. neapolitanfrenchfrie

neapolitanfrenchfrie Well-Known Member

You'd probably rather pm them :p
  3. jbeetle

jbeetle Well-Known Member

Well I know they've already talked about it a bit through Twitter. They said that having a good quality concept video is a must, and you also must come off as enthusiastic about the project as you want your donors to be. That might sound like a no brainer, but apparently there are a lot of people trying to push products on Kickstarter that don't even appear to believe in what they're selling.
  4. arseface

arseface Post Master General

Make sure your tiers are good. You can't remove any tiers after it goes up.

You can add, but you can't take down. If you're iffy on a tier save it for later.

You also want some stupidly expensive tiers on the off chance somebody picks one. If even a single person is willing to drop the money on them it's a gigantic bump.
  5. goodbean

If I did that then I wouldn't get valuable input from anyone else.
  6. Ekanaut

Ekanaut Uber Alumni

It depends on what you're trying to do so can't really give feedback without knowing what it is. But let's say it's a game and these are the questions I would ask.

Do you have a track record and a team that can deliver on the promise?
    Is your game filling a need in the marketplace or has a nostalgia factor?
    Do you have anything concrete to show that will impress potential backers?
    What's unique about it and why should we care?

Kickstarter is beyond the point of just putting up an idea and hope it gets funded unless you have some star power or you're someone well known. It's a serious commitment and it will be hard work. Again, without knowing anything about what you're doing, it's hard to give some real tangible advice.
    dreizehn likes this.
  7. goodbean

The worst part about this is I can't say much more without giving it away. I have to keep it a secret until we announce it. I can say this: we used to do something great for the community, and we are good at it, and we proved it time and time again. However we had to stop for a while, and we want to get going again, it was something we loved to do. It was never for profit.

Track record: yes
    Game: its not a game, but if we succeed we will filling the gap that we once filled and bringing something back.
    concrete stuff: I think we do
    unique: I would say that the situation is unique.

I will admit that when the concept of doing a kickstarter came up, I wasn't all for it. As it was pitched to me there is really is something to gain even if the kickstarter failed. A successful kickstarter would just help us tremendously and it would help everyone involved.

I am not the one handling the kickstarter, someone else is. I am just trying to help out everyone on my team.
  8. knickles

knickles Well-Known Member

are you able to give a ballpark of how much you'd be asking for?
  9. goodbean

That has yet to be determined, my best guess is that it would be modest compared to other kickstarters I have seen. Also I am not one of the guys who is responsible for the kickstarter. I am more of a research and support role right now.
  10. scathis

scathis Arbiter of Awesome Uber Alumni

While the Kickstarter is up, the Kickstarter is your job. Maintaining it, keeping up with threads on Reddit and other outlets are important. That's what you do for the time it's up.
  11. Ekanaut

Ekanaut Uber Alumni

Does this have anything to do with User Created Content? If so, you should talk to us offline before doing a KS. If not, nevermind.
  12. JammySTB

JammySTB Well-Known Member

Is this Kickstarter to fund large scale production of Mega Milk costumes?
  13. jbeetle

It's a kickstarter to put Mega Milk costumes in every single game on Steam.
  14. goodbean

I will just say its a service to a local community in my area. I feel like I am getting to close to spoiling it. Once i can tell you more and get a link I will be glad to post it.

Eka, after reading your first reply, I do say I feel more confident about the kickstarer.

We got guys to cover sites, blogs, and etc. We got guys who work on on kickstarter. My group is covering all the bases.

Its nothing to do with SMNC, PA, or any particular game. This relates to stuff I did that might predate Uber itself.
  15. jbeetle

That actually surprises me. Now that that is out of the way, good luck in your endeavour!
  16. Slamz

Slamz Well-Known Member

"Just do it"?

I know a couple musicians who did a successful Kickstarter to raise funds for a new CD. They asked for $5k and got something like $6k -- tracking costs and so forth since they were getting it professionally recorded.

I think the big thing is:
    A) You have a supportive community that's willing to give you money for something you want to do
    or
    B) You have an idea so great that total strangers are willing to give you money just to see it happen

B requires a lot more work.