Would uber sell the rights to MNC?

Discussion in 'Uber Entertainment Discussion' started by teapot, October 15, 2013.

1. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

Mostly because Fantasy doesn't tend to have many guns?
  2. knickles

knickles Well-Known Member

No rule that says it can't. Getting pretty off topic now, so I'll probably end it here
  3. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

Yep. It's been happening since MNC Xbox 360.
  4. teapot

teapot Post Master General

This is why I ask people to come try it out because this couldn't be further from the truth.

And what exactly is your experience with competitive MNC matches? In 2010 it was the biggest joke. The Dev hosted tournament looked god awful and if I took 6 of the WORST current PM players and put them up against ZyN (the team that won) ZyN would lose in to 2 minutes flat. The changes from 2010 up till today is pretty crazy. The game has evolved way past that point and truly evolved into a game that had room for individual skill to shine, but still required team skill for the objective. Yeah It's not quake on PC, but this game is way more competitive than Halo 3 and up.

Most MNC players who participate in private matches agree that the balance of the game is pretty spot on. Nothing is too OP, and the only real game breaking feature is juice. Yeah theres frame rate issues, but we can play past that.

The rest I agree with. A lot has changed from date so you can log in and check it out
    naka333 likes this.
  5. killien

killien Active Member

I should clarify that I was mostly referring to airgrapples. I believe they were more rare before the fix for "hover to avoid grapples"
  6. nephandys

nephandys Member

I played for probably 2 years (2k+ hours plenty of time at the top of the leaderboards). I can still remember the good teams, great players etc., however as much fun of a title as MNC might have been it's simply not a balanced competitive shooter IMO. Frame rate lag alone ruins any possiblity of that and sure as players you can decide to overlook it but when I die cause someone spawned a bunch of gapshots and I lagged while dueling someone that's takes all the competitiveness and throws it right out the window for me. When I'm a Sin and I stand on top of a Gunners head and kill him with nothing he can do about it - no competition there either. P2P is ridiculous as depending on class you're either provided with a huge advantage or disadvantage as host. Or how about that you can just kill anyone in the spawn room any time you want? Ghost shots (firing gun bullets come out do no dmg) exists in MNC like SMNC, invulnerability bug, sin broken smoke bomb on host, etc. Personally I think MNC classes are imbalanced as are some of the maps, but that's personal opinion and just 1 issue of many in developing any kind of real competitive scene.

When one experienced assassin and 4 randoms can beat pre-made GP or skill's team where's the competition in that? [No bragging here I don't even know if those ppl still play or you remember them].

All the players that currently play might agree MNC is balanced and competitive, but that's probably why they're the one's still playing such a lovable but broken arcade game 3 years after release. Everyone else moved on a long time ago. By the way none of this takes into account that a quick hop over to the MNC 360 forums can turn up a ton of threads in recent history that are like "We're the only team left, we beat everyone and we're the best, any competition (with no response), etc.". I'm not saying there's no one but the "scene" is miniscule.

I would love to see a new version of the game though as long as these bugs were fixed. I love the characters, the futuristic sports theme, most of the gameplay, the inspiration from films like Idiocracy. I hoped that would be the case with SMNC but sans frame rate lag and dedicated servers many if not all of the bugs remain.
  7. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

Lmao. ehh wut?
  8. teapot

The bugs are issues, but it doesn't sound like you've had the many opportunities to play in balanced lobbies where we have honor rules when it comes to spawn killing, finishing the ball and others. To be honest, it sounds like a lot of the issues that I faced in public lobbies when the game still had a strong pub population.Which brings me to my next point. What do you know about custom games or teams since juice was turned off?

You'll have to refresh my memory on this assassin + randoms beating GP or Skill. I don't remember, but what I do know is teams like **** (my team) Destiny, Lotion On My Trigger, AmaZyN, and so forth were good teams at the time, but by all means they would be god awful teams by todays standards, and that's what I'm trying to stress. Most who have put in at least a year into MNC left before they saw the peak of competitive play. We still do get framerate issues, so yeah I understand the problems of a competitive game in that aspect.

Not too sure what you're talking about with the assassin, but a good gunner wouldn't get killed unless the sin was juiced. People may complain about assaults being OP, but really I think it's just the easiest class to pick up, kill, and stay alive with. When we play 6v6 one of each class with a skilled player on each class we find it's incredibly balanced.
    naka333 likes this.
  9. poiuasd

poiuasd Well-Known Member

Have honor rules and call it competitive? I think we're done here.
  10. teapot

Oh my goodness you SMNC players are quite literal huh? I wish you had just 1/64th the experience playing in competitive MNC lobbies as I have, that way you couldn't just dismiss **** so blindly.

Throughout the years of Halo there have been tons of glitches that would result in a forfeit of the map or the series at tournaments. It's been like that since Halo CE. In shadowrun people would have an honor system in not using certain skills that were deemed cheap or easy thus making the game more difficult, or in a sense more competitive. Almost every game I have ever played had cheap or unfair factors in the game that players would exploit. Our honor system involves not buying turrets outside of the moneyball, because the amount of money this game gives you means you can easily spam level 3 rocket turrets at every hub throughout the 20 minute duration. We keep that honor system because of how difficult it is to kill turrets without juice. We have no juice because we turned that option off due to players spamming it, utilizing it poorly, and padding stats.

I think we most know that MNC wouldn't have been a sound competitive title as it stands today. There are too many issues. On the other hand, many haven't experienced the depth of MNC under highly competitive settings. You're more than welcome to come on board and join the line of PC players who assumed this game was easy and had no skill gap. Get a team together and come play 6 of the WORST current Console MNC private match players. The invite's always there, but rarely is it taken.
    naka333 likes this.
  11. JammySTB

JammySTB Well-Known Member

>Halo
    >Competitive
  12. poiuasd

poiuasd Well-Known Member

So the balance is spot on but you still have to create additional honor rules to make it balanced? All of my what.
  13. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

How 2 Teapot:
    > MNC on 360 was awesome
    > Halo CE is the most competitive game ever
    > PC players too scare to come take us on
  14. xshammas

xshammas Well-Known Member

Y'all need to lay off Teapot. You guys must be inexperienced with console shooters, because there are always glitches, rule changes, etc. I think the only console shooter ever played straight out of the box was Shadowrun. I don't want to hear about how cool and how much better competitive PC games are, I don't care. Let's keep this on topic.
    The main issues with MNC are juice (small issue) and lag (huge issue, but nonexistent with LAN capabilities). Also the frame issues. The game's pretty balanced, but the main concern I have with optimizing it for comp play is the fact that it's 6v6. This causes communication clutter, sometimes in game clutter. But it's a REALLY big deal when it comes to team sizes. It's harder to find a team, there are less teams, and it would cost more to get teams to events. Less teams=less support, plain and simple. No matter how good the game is, the bottom line is that we need major interest from players. Not only that, but you would need more stations for the teams to play at, and if you can't get enough stations, the event takes forever and won't run smoothly. ALSO, MLG is sticking to the "1 console shooter at a time" thing and unless MNC became the most popular console game, it wouldn't happen. There are definitely other orgs (AGL, UMG) that could support the game, but we know MLG has the monopoly on console shooters.

So I'd love to see MNC make it as a competitive shooter, you know that already. It would just need to overcome a lot of these issues.
  15. JammySTB

You're not doing a good job of convincing us that consoles are a good platform for competitive shooters.
  16. xshammas

Because that's not the argument, so stop talking about it, please and thank you.
  17. knickles

knickles Well-Known Member

You only need people to compete to make a game competitive.

I'm personally not a fan of custom rules though. Especially when they eliminate such a huge portion of the game.
  18. jbeetle

jbeetle Well-Known Member

I'm a fan of custom rules in SMNC.
  19. xshammas

That first part is true, it's just way harder with 6 people per team instead of 4.

We only turn off juice buying and extend the games to 20 minutes for 360 MNC, so it's not too big of a change.
  20. JammySTB

I'm not a fan of them - it would be nice if we could actually specify what we wanted in a custom game, then we wouldn't have to use stupid "honor rules".