2 months to release and the game feels like pre-alpha and is a letdown. Please delay the release.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by larse, October 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Culverin

Culverin Post Master General

shotforce13, it's a little different.
    Uber wanted our money.
    They invited us to participate in feedback.

This isn't some big megacorp.
    Uber leveraged their rep as devs who collectively worked on a certain lineage of games (TA, SupCom, FA) with an incremental improvement over time.
    They also promised to keep those same principles, but add in more awesome.

It is our responsibility as backers to speak out if we see them stray from that.
    Not just for "my" game, but for all our collective games.
    And for Uber's sake. Many people say their trailer and have this game on their radar but didn't back.
    If PA falls far short of expanding on on that Lineage, then it's not just "my" game that you say I feel entitled to which is hurt. But Uber's rep is tarnished as well. And at their size in the internet age, you don't get that reputation back.

So no, please don't think we speak out just because we want the game "our way".
    That is hurtful and trivializes our faith in Uber's skills.
    Grimseff and kalherine like this.
  2. shotforce13

shotforce13 Well-Known Member

Noted: but bashing a game in the forums when you havent seen the finished product is more hurtful to us and Uber than anything. people come here to read about the game they may want to buy and that are on the fence, sees stuff like this and bang lost sell. counter productive.....
    Grimseff, stormingkiwi and calmesepai like this.
  3. supercilious

supercilious New Member

I do need to get my bash out, overall im a supporter of this game and thats how it will stay, but im also a damn dirty f5ing lurking pessimist troll-boy monster, sorry.

Firstly whilst I haven't played much of PA (got most info from constant lets plays etc, though I do launch the game with every update)
    I get my wow moments with the peripheral field of view the game sets, music and the way it handles lighting (wish it was slower at the hole night and day thing)
    I used to hate the idea of a spore like planet, but its getting easier.

Would still prefer a 2d plane map, 3d map still feels like a failing gimmick.

Unit graphics, weapon graphics, gui, still have a long way to-go, performance is still in the gutter but getting better all the time.

Game options and design, are still quiet asberger's like, very bi-polar and its hard to work my way through it.

AI getting there, i can understand it kind of taking a back seat to stuff, but its slowly progressing.

TA, and Supcom I, II. II to me was the pinicle of the engines performance vs function, with II's latest patch (game design aside) it really is a phenomenal peace of engineering. Given PA's funky design choices too like opengl exclusivity its a bit weird.

Comparing the game to spring which has had 5+yrs to get to its maturity (and still has its issues) PA does wholly pale in comparison but its trying to be different, so im still on board.

Im sure my opinion will be totally different in 6months to a years time, i just dont want to see another sword of the stars II, or legends of Pegasus like affair.
    Last edited: November 5, 2013
  4. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

do agree with the release date thing but while I'm at it might as well help you out. TIP: put your planet further out.
    I have a good one called "slow day and night cycle"
    go to C:\Users\tatsu\AppData\Local\Uber Entertainment\Planetary Annihilation\localstore\Local Storage (replace tatsu with whatever your session is called on your system)
    move your files to the desktop and put those from my zip instead.

you can try my sytems.

when you wan your systems back delete my files and drag the files from the desktop back to where they where.

Attached Files:

Last edited: November 6, 2013
  5. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

6. qqpp

qqpp New Member

A delay would do this game a lot of good in the long run. If it were me, and it's not, I would shoot for winter 2014 based on the current state of the game wrt. its aspirations. There's a reason successful developers like Valve have so many delays in their releases- its almost always better to take the time and get it right instead of hurriedly rushing out an unfinished product.

A game only gets one launch. That's when all the reviews happen, that's when there's the most interest and playtime, and that's when its reputation is formed. If the game improves a year later, the reviews don't change, people's first impression don't change, and its reputation stays largely the same. Not only that, but the development process is extremely inhibited when working on and patching a released game compared to one in an alpha. Every game has a huge surge of players at release and then a much smaller playerbase from then on out. Because of all these factors, making sure that one launch window is a good one is of the highest importance. The people who want to play it badly enough can already pre-order and participate in the alpha.

I hope the developers at Uber realize all this and are financially capable of making the decision to delay. This game and its developers have enormous promise and not reaching that ideal would be a disappointment to the RTS community. Cheers.
    Last edited: November 5, 2013
    arsene likes this.
  7. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

The only comment I have on release dates is that these guys are industry veterans and have far more knowledge of their budget, aims and constraints than we could ever possibly have.
    lokiCML and doud like this.
  8. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

Exactly, cwarner7264 Uber is the ones that have the knowledge to make that decision.
  9. vackillers

vackillers Well-Known Member

I actually dont really care, so long as the game in its final stages is as close to their concept art and original kickstarter presentation i dont really care how long it takes.. if it gets released in December and they are still working on a ton of things then so be it, dont care how long i have to wait so long as it lives up to its original style... if it doesn't then I'm sorely going to be royally mad. Already been stated they are considering moving launch day if they have to because their not behold ant to publisher constraints and stated they will be doing work post released anyway so I wouldn't worry too much about the final product, it'll get there eventually.
  10. doud

doud Well-Known Member

Guys, we should all keep in mind and never forget that without Uber, we would have to wait a veeeerrrryyyy long time to see a TA like game released by any editor/game developper. Just because unfortunately we are not enough players to enjoy such games. So at this stage we're quite very lucky to have Uber working on such stuff. Yes for sure we have put money into this project, but making a game is not magic, it costs lot of money, and it's obvious Uber takes care about each single cent which is put into making this game. Then, Uber is made of the dream team with long experience in RTS development. So PA will come out as it is, And considering the complexity of such a game, I consider the current state as being quite unbelievable (1 year of development only). Then i think that by deciding to put our money into this game means we trust Uber. So let's trust Uber until final release and, also after release, 'cause PA is not a one shot then nothing. It's obvious to me that Uber has definitly proven they know their job.
    lokiCML likes this.
  11. zkyevolved

zkyevolved New Member

I did a preorder with no beta access, and I can't wait to get my hands on it. I have played TA so many times and it was such a big part of my video game collection as a youth, with my friends, meeting at a house and playing over LAN...

I came across this thread and I actually even considered writing Uber to cancel my order! I then thought "I don't have the game, and it's not even out..." I certainly hope that they make the game better than what you are all saying by the time they send me my steam key. I have some faith that they will make the game better.

These companies release games ahead of time via kick starter and such to get more money. They were going to develop the game anyways with or without kickstarter. They had done a lot of the work from what I understand. The whole beta access is to get MORE people on board, but the problem is that you aren't being constructive. They know it's a beta! You know it's a beta! Don't think it's finished!

They will be the first ones to push it as finished. That's how all these PC games and mobile phones work! They push out the product as fast as they can and then rely on updates to get it to the real "finished" product. This isn't good. But it's how companies work now! Well, you bought a game in alpha / beta.... Wait until it's released to be so critical.
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  12. kalherine

kalherine Active Member

1 This game is far from being a sequel to TA, forget it.

Its a completely different game with some ideas included.

Our preoccupation, not the launch of the full game or the money, or such complexividade involved on this game, because the game is still too simple.

The preoccupation off many players like me ,of what' Planetary anhilation will have has a game,its what will have, to attract the attention of many players,and not only 15 or 20 players that like the game like it is.

Think for yourselves what makes you play a game for a long time.

And in the middle of these thoughts maybe you find the answer to ower preoccupation.
  13. Culverin

Culverin Post Master General

If we don't call them out on what is on the community's list, then it will likely never get addressed.
    Yep. Beta is Beta.
    Nobody is blasting Uber for a bad game.

We're not here saying "bad" things to tarnish their rep. If I wanted to do that, I'd be saying it elsewhere.
    We are Uber's early warning system.
    - On whether their backers are getting what Uber promised = their future rep to their most loyal fanbase.
    - On whether other RTS gamers will even want to play this game.

If we don't call them out on what we see going on, things will never get addressed.
    Heck, even on things they community has mention, they may never get addressed....
    Look at this thread on "scale".
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/scale-megathread.48650/
    Started in June....
  14. ricolientje

ricolientje New Member

I requested a refund on PA through steam last week, I did tell them to keep the extra I paid for the beta though. Anyway I don't think this game deserves my money, I'd rather play supreme commander/supreme commander forged alliance than this. Apart from a few gimmicks it's exactly the same as any other RTS and I honestly believe even total annihilation with the common mods is a better game.

The scale of this game is tiny, playing on an 81x81 map in supcom had a bigger scale than this game on 10 experimental class planets...

I've been waiting for this game ever since supcom2 failed, and as it is now I can honestly say I believe supcom2 might be better..
    kalherine likes this.
  15. ricolientje

ricolientje New Member

No shields, scale far too small, bad interface, no shields, laggy, tiny amount of units, metal planets where you need metal spots, no mass fabricators, no huge energy/mass buildings. Also, did I mention no shields and tiny scale?

To me it seems they just took the name of total annihilation and tried to mooch off of it. This game isn't even close to being as good as either TA or SupCom.
  16. qwerty3w

qwerty3w Active Member

Same thing can be said to many developers, it's not like they never disappointed their players before.

Some players are quite negative at the moment because they have never seen a released RTS game that's immensely improved from its beta period, but I think it's actually reasonable for Uber to launch beta so early. Without the sales boost from beta release, they probably won't have enough budget to get the game close to a "real" beta state.
  17. doctorfiet

doctorfiet Member

Hello,

no one except the Uber employees know how far the game has improved behind the scenes. The only thing we get to see is what comes in the patches. When one develops a program he usually wants to get the alpha and beta users to test things and KINDLY report them so they are beeing fixed when its the appropriate moment to do so. But each new (buggy - which is just normal looking at the scale and complexity of this software project) feature that they put in the alpha just created a shitstorm out of "DOESN'T WORK - WANT MY MONEY BACK" comments. So when people can't cope with the way how things are beeing developed in the software industry, they should get to see only a finished product, because otherwise they would distract the programmers from doing what they have to: IMPLEMENTING NEW FEATURES and DEBUGGING.

I think thats exactly what Uber is doing atm: shipping only things in patches that are unlikely to produce a shitstorm in order to keep there developers undistracted from doing: their job.
  18. qwerty3w

qwerty3w Active Member

It's not like Uber don't want to keep the reputation as good as possible, so if there is anything in work behind the scenes, we already know it.
    Last edited: November 9, 2013
  19. kalherine

kalherine Active Member

So what you say is,the game can can totaly suck unitl the released day ( because only Uber nows the official game,and behind the scenes game its already great) so they just give us a 2 game (trash)

So let me see iff i understand ...1 day game will be like .... its is now,and the other day (released day ) the game will be awsome! and no one new about all the things game will have until the released day,because was all the time behind the scenes?

Before you say !Ok sry i understand all rong.

( When one develops a program he usually wants to get the alpha and beta users to test things and KINDLY report them so they are beeing fixed when its the appropriate moment to do so) then dont ask us early money, make 100 keys and give to special beta testers!
    Last edited: November 9, 2013
  20. doctorfiet

doctorfiet Member

I'd say that is what nearly every post from Garat is trying to tell us:

"We know it's been a bit quiet on the forums of late, and that mostly stems from the fact that we are all heads down, working hard, making the game bigger, better, faster."

=> there is much work behind the scenes....
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.