GTX770 2gigs or GTX770 4gigs ?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by doud, November 2, 2013.

1. doud

doud Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I'm currently playing with a gtx 660TI and planning to upgrade to gtx 770.
    Now the big question is : should i go for 2gigs of DRAM or 4gigs of DRAM ?
    While i have no doubt PA will play very well on my 660Ti, i want to be sure that i will be able to play extreme large games. So i'm wondering if 4gigs could help more than only 2gigs.
    I do not plan to play at higher resolutions than 1920x1080.
    Any thoughts ?
  2. vackillers

vackillers Well-Known Member

4GB without a doubt... thats where the next gen games are heading anyway, and I know that PA uses a LOT of VRAM as it is anyway, with games like BF4 recommending 3GB of VRAM, and even minecraft a suggested minimum of 2GB VRAM when using shaders, I would go for as high amount as you can afford in this area when looking at graphics cards, then we'll have the likes of The Witcher 3 which is going to need a lot itself, Skyrim needs a lot at least 2GB if you have a lot of mods along with the ENBs as well. Get the 4GB, that way your set for everything, not just PA, the line of thinking that 2GB is all you need for 1920 resolution gaming is about to be thrown out the window.
  3. doud

doud Well-Known Member

Thanks a lot for your answer !
    Thanks a lot for you answer !
  4. SXX

SXX Post Master General

I totally sure PA can easily use 2GB of VRAM, so I think if you buying high-end graphics it's worth to get 4GB of GDDR5 because today not only games use it, but all soft of applications like browsers for example. E.g Google Chrome can easily use 500MB of VRAM.
    vackillers likes this.
  5. kalherine

kalherine Active Member

Capturar.JPG Buy gtx 780 best buy to future
    the gtx 770 got same arquitecture has the gtx 680

Iff you think in 770 wast off money buy the 680 ti or the OC edition +/- same fps ,and lower price
  6. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

JESUS christ chrome is a shitfest
  7. slywynsam

slywynsam Active Member

I actually prefer Chrome to anything else.
    bradaz85 likes this.
  8. nixtempestas

nixtempestas Post Master General

I have a radeon 7850 with 2GB and a friend a 570 with only 1GB. While they are comparable to each other in most benchmarks, playing PA on uber graphics my card gets nearly double the frame rate.

So ya, more vram the better.
  9. doud

doud Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice. I have also noticed this : I have 2 configurations, one running 560TI, the other one running 660TI. Both have 2gigs of VRAM, And It takes ages to 560TI to display planets in game compared to 660TI. Which obviously shows that both VRAM and GPU matter with PA. And while same amount of VRAM, i have to switch to medium on 560TI to get same FPS as 660TI with Uber settings.
  10. redmo

redmo New Member

Thanks a lot, that also helped me to decide what to go for next :D
    ps: nvidia announced the gtx 780ti, might be worth a look if you got the money for it. should arrive around 7/11
  11. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Actually I think it's better to wait before new consoles come out.
    "Next gen consoles release + black friday" should let you buy pretty good hardware for cheap.
  12. redmo

redmo New Member

Yes, sounds reasonable. But where I am from, everything is expensive all year long.^^
  13. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

What is black friday?
  14. SXX

SXX Post Master General

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Friday_(shopping)

I'm not live in the US, but I'm usually buy hardware at those days though Mail Forwarding. Even with cost of postage from US it's always much cheaper than where I live. :rolleyes:
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  15. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

Excellent that's exciting.
  16. doud

doud Well-Known Member

well 780ti is likely to cost twice a 770gtx 4GB.
  17. cobycohodas

cobycohodas Member

I bought the 2 gig gtx770 when I built my computer in May. Was too excited to get new computer and the 4gig version was not out yet. I am sad now. May try and sell the 2 gig one and upgrade to a 4gig or just get a 4gig version of an even beefier card.
  18. hahapants

hahapants Active Member

I thing your current card is more than enough, but it looks like you want to upgrade anyway. What are the rest of your specs, you may want to look into memory more than video power here depending on what you've currently got.