Would uber sell the rights to MNC?

Discussion in 'Uber Entertainment Discussion' started by teapot, October 15, 2013.

1. hostileparadox

hostileparadox Well-Known Member

Let me know which console its going to be on, that's probably going to determine my next gen console. ;)

Please make it the PS4, I'd hate to have to eat crow and buy an XB1.
  2. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

I'd be reluctant to think that even with the indie dev changes MS are pulling through with Xbox One, that Uber would be willing to work with them again. Then again, because they've NOT worked with Sony, it might be hard to tell if it'll be more of the same or a totally different kind of beast to get put on their platform. I know both talk a lot about more open platforms, but I doubt there's going to be NOTHING in the way of getting on those platforms; especially in the opening year
  3. neapolitanfrenchfrie

neapolitanfrenchfrie Well-Known Member

Awesome! I've been trying out a ton of other different MOBAs and none of them have that spark that made SMNC one of my favorite games :p
  4. teapot

teapot Post Master General

I've gone back and re-read the main article siting the story of uber and MNC, and it just set this tone in my mind that people are right, uber will most likely not sell the rights to it, and they will most likely not make another MNC game in the next few years.

I too doubt that even if they do revisit the MNC universe, it'll be accessible on console. PS4, maybe. I would buy a PS4 solely for the MNC experience, pending it felt like a true sequel.

Maybe I'm just a bigger fanboy than I realize. I just feel like Uber had a huge opportunity to introduce a fresh style of a competitive shooter/moba hybrid. With E-Sports constantly on the rise, there could have been a serious bridge between the atmosphere of MNC being a sport, and the game itself as an E-sport.

Were you ever able to watch the competitive MNC matches I sent you? I assume there's nothing actually in the works and it's just something you and the team would like to re-visit, but have you guys talked about focusing more on the SMNC Moba side? Or the MNC shooter side? Both?
    naka333 likes this.
  5. teju__

teju__ Active Member

I highly doubt that they have decided or even discussed what they want to do with the franchise. They are clearly busy with other stuff right now, and I can't blame them. Why would anyone blame them? The MNC games sadly haven't been all that successful. :(
  6. teapot

teapot Post Master General

I've talked to him on twitter, which is bad due to the character limit. I asked him if he realized how far his game has evolved, and if he's ever seen recent matches. He sounded really interested and asked me to post them so I did. I was just following up.

Believe me I got the we're too busy to talk right now response a few times, over the course of an entire year. I can't blame them too much because they are working on future projects, but it's hard to not get annoyed at the fact that you can constantly see them engaging in other conversations or debates that show they do have some time to spare. For example, I searched MNC on reddit and came across an article from Neutrino or a post from him. I sent him a post with multiple questions regarding the making and planning of MNC. As usual I got the we're too busy to reply message. So I clicked his profile and all his recent posts were long posts arguing with a random person on reddit about his credentials and coding games and what not.

I know I can't force them to respond and they have free-will, but it's annoying getting the run-around for a year + just to see other instances where they're obviously wasting their time.
    naka333 likes this.
  7. Ekanaut

Ekanaut Uber Alumni

I didn't get a chance to watch those. Would you mind posting them again? We've talked about both SMNC and MNC approaches and if we were focus on one approach it would probably be closer to MNC shooter side with some stuff brought over from SMNC. It's one of those things we'd have to iterate on and see how it feels.
  8. killien

killien Active Member

I kinda prefer how MNC was, where the entire game felt like kind of a futuristic fantasy football.
    If there ever is a SMNC2/MNC3/whatever, I'd vote to keep the F2P features of SMNC, but lean gameplay/other features more towards MNC
  9. knickles

knickles Well-Known Member

Not that this is productive or anything, but I'm currenty itching for an fps with:

tf2 health regen, maps, and weps
    moba abilities and roster size
    mnc juice ults

So I guess a slightly faster first person MNC with more pros, minus grapples and turrets. Preferably with a d&d fantasy theme instead of future sports.
  10. jbeetle

jbeetle Well-Known Member

I actually like the SMNC part better. But I'm willing to accept and play whatever makes the most money. (unless it's on console, then it's irrelevant to me)
  11. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

How can you remove grapples from MNC?!
  12. knickles

In both mnc and smnc, there were a stupid amount of complaints about their reliability / latency dependence. imo they slowed the game down.

plus, I'd rather my imaginary game be MNC2 in spirit, not actual MNC2
  13. jbeetle

Whatever it ends up being, if it ends up being, please make it with modding/mapping in mind. pleeeeaasssee
  14. hostileparadox

hostileparadox Well-Known Member

Problem with grapples is that they take away control from the enemy player.
    Makes them feel helpless. Same problem that happened with the Scout's Sandman when it first launched. People were angry that the scout could stun them. Nothing feels worse in the game then losing control.

And theres those complaints about latency issues. Getting grappled after going up jump pads, etc.
  15. turbonerd

turbonerd Member

The problem to me isn't that you feel helpless because that is what stuns and slows are supposed to do. Without stuns and slows mobas would be way too turtley and the games would last over an hour if both teams are coordinated. SMNC is a good example of this since it lacks the many stuns that other mobas have which results in the turtle fest you usually see at high level play, which in turn lead to spunky juicy becoming a staple product and veteran being one of the most popular classes in order to make plays. My problem with grapples is how inconsistent they are since they are so connection based like you guys said.
  16. nephandys

nephandys Member

MNC on 360 was never a competitive game. Sure there was a community that tried to turn it into one, but there wass absolutely no semblance of balance, horrendous frame rate lag, p2p hosting, the list goes on and on. The game never was competitive as much as it's tiny diehard fanbase wanted it to be. The majority of matches would be decided by errors, bugs, lag, etc rather than skill so there's no room for real competition there. Nothing's changed to date so you can still log on and check it out yourself. Nothing but truth here.

Sure sales were better on 360 than PC however the more time that passes the more I think was attached to the fact that they were present in the 1st ever (if I remember correctly) Summer of Arcade on XBL and the promotion they received on that platform rather than the specific platform of choice. PC is a much larger and diverse market place than XBL. Summer of Arcade has largely just fallen into the background since then and never been the success MS hoped for. You also dodge the inevitable TF2 vs MNC comparison due to the lackluster performance of Valve on console vs their monolithic presence on PC.

I was an MNC 360 fanboy at one point in time, but it's a long way out from 2010 now. The bigger problem Uber seems to have is how to run a business period. We'll see if PA shows any sign of that changing, so far I don't see it, but I've never really been an optimist and past behavior is the best predictor of future behavior so if I was a betting man there'd be only one bet to make at this point in time. I certainly won't be an early adopter, won't back any funding projects (KS), and don't plan to be a purchaser of any of their future products sans some forthcoming proven track record.

*I hope there's a 3rd MNC title that's actually successful regardless of platform (I own PC, 360, PS3, and PS4) but I wouldn't hold my breath and I'd say there's a 0% chance of Uber ever selling this IP cause it's there baby.
  17. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

Not going for the theme, tbh. DnD style fantasy is a HUGELY overdone theme, while futuristic sports is very rare in being able to get the setting bang on (some do it well, MNC; some do it horribly. Bullet Run, lookinatchu)
  18. killien

killien Active Member

I can't help but wonder if the airgrapple issue would be helped if Uber removed the ability to grapple an Assault that was hovering just above the ground
  19. jbeetle

nah. it existed before that.
  20. knickles

Futuristic sports seem more present in the shooter genre than DnD fantasy (orcs must die is the only shooter that i can think of, off the top of my head). Keep in mind it's just preference.