Collective Mac Suggestions, Experiences, & Bugs

Discussion in 'Support!' started by ouroboros7, October 29, 2013.

1. ouroboros7

ouroboros7 New Member

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to create a collection thread for all the Mac users to post here and keep everything in one semi-organized place. ( I saw the "Getting Started", not sure if this should be in there or here in "General Beta")
  2. ouroboros7

ouroboros7 New Member

I purchased and downloaded last night. Set-up took about 20 minutes.

• All settings were on lowest setting :( and the resolution scaling was set to -2.
    • Windowed Mode ("full screen")

I was able to play 2 quick AI games, and here is my findings / suggestions.

#1. 1 Scale 3 planet, 1 AI (first game so basically a tutorial for me)

Ran a little slow, but not unbearable.

AI was under developed. I spent the entire time building and rebuilding anti air defense (only level 1 currently available?). Never once was attacked by land, only non-stop air. I attacked by land and AI had absolutely no defense.

#2 1 Scale 2, 2 Scale 1 Planets, 1 AI

Both started on a Scale 1 moon, AI built 3 buildings then stopped. This was ok at the time because it gave me time to build and try everything. Orbital and whatnot. I was able to travel to the other planets.

My Issues / Bugs.
    • Zooming in/out is very erratic (turned zoom scroll to 1 and this helped, but still all over the place)
    • When trying to zoom out of 1 planet to see the entire system, sometimes the planet will just spin a lot for a second or so. Then I have to try again (as if i was not centered, and it was trying to change camera position on the current planet?)
    • When trying to land the Orbital transport, the unload function uses left click to command instead of right click like everything else. (user error?)
    • Many metal deposits did not allow construction of metal extractors.
    More to come!
  3. ouroboros7

ouroboros7 New Member

I had a difficult time locating my construction units. Seeing that there is a ton of usable screen space. Could there be a construction unit selection area? Maybe even separated by tech levels?
  4. nixtempestas

nixtempestas Post Master General

Some helpful tricks to use for the time being:

Camera Anchors:
    press shift + # to place a anchor, alt+# to jump to it. Much faster than scrolling everywhere

Switching views:
    comma will take you to moon view, and period to way out.

Construction vehicles:
    For the time being they don't have a select idle fab button or key :(.
    They do however have a select commander key (c) and select all idle fabs (f)

The AI right now is pretty dumb. They either go mad air or mad bot+nuke. Improvements to come of course.

EDIT: You may also want to try out the pole lock feature if you are having trouble orienting yourself. You can find it in settings. If you don't use it, you can press n to orient north.
  5. ouroboros7

ouroboros7 New Member

Great!, these are all helpful. I will try them out!
  6. Manwolf

Manwolf Member

good thread idea!
    my findings after roughly 40hours gameplay, spread out over around 1 1/2 months:

- resolution on text/icons not corresponding to display resolution...
    - tactical icons sometimes disappear randomly after match is loaded and dont return for full match
    - no trees (or any flora whatsoever) displayed on planets
    - if you change key bindings, or even mouse scroll bindings, the game seems to break: loads black screen instead of match/planets
    - no OS icon ;)

otherwise I agree with above points
  7. guzwaatensen

guzwaatensen Active Member

most of the things i could add are already in the bug tracker, but i'm glad you once more addressed zooming, i made a thread way back in which i surmised that OSX inherent inertia to scrolling may be responsible for the erratic zooming. But it hasn't improved a bit over the various builds, i too have zoom at 1 and it's still not really useable. Good moment to bring this up again....
    Anyway, as apparently no one else did in between, I added it to the Tracker: FS#2608
  8. maxpowerz

maxpowerz Post Master General

Which mouse are you using??
    • Mighty Mouse = White with ball on top
    • Magic Mouse = White with touch sensitive top
    • Trackpad = the grey square touchpad mouse
    • or a non Mac mouse = Microsoft, Logitech, any other brand that's not apple ?
    if your using the magic mouse, the inertial scrolling is built in to the "mouse's hardware (inside the mouse)" not the OS.
    I have a Microsoft Scuplt Touch mouse it also does the same thing under windows, it too has inertial scrolling built into the mouse hardware, i change to a standard mouse (mac's can use Microsoft or standard mice too, wireless and usb) it fixed my zoom issue instantly :)
    Last edited: November 3, 2013
  9. guzwaatensen

guzwaatensen Active Member

i quickly hooked up a generic mouse to test that and it does indeed remove the inertia, i always thought it was a OSX Feature as my Mighty Mouse never did this this before 10.7... But it seem you are right, and this also means that Uber can do nothing about it, guess i'll finally have to buy a gaming mouse....
    maxpowerz likes this.
  10. Manwolf

Manwolf Member

GUYS! THANKS SO MUCH!!! I SEE TREEEEES NOW!!! :D

+ icon option removes my tactical icon disappearance!!! super idea!
    + graphics look stunning now! so much more detail! voids and stuff...lovely!!! with flora the planets looks amazing!
    + haven't tried changing key settings yet, but it seems that even if you have a black screen at the start of the match, just wait or click around a bit, and it will appear! (or game crashes sometimes if you do that)

if one sets the scroll settings (playing on a magic mouse) to zero, its okay with the zooming. only thing is that it zooms unproportionally: if I zoom in fully (goes quite quickly) it takes a lot of work to zoom out into a bearable view again (ca. area of 2-3 factories stuck together), and then the zoom-out-speed just increases dramatically, so that you'd see the whole planet with one sweep. dont know if thats the magic mouse's fault or just a slight balancing error, but wanted to let you know.

the AI is a mean machine now, but it feels that much more satisfying winning against that S.o.B!

UBER: really guys, your support is stunning, thanks so much!!! keep it up! I rarely ever play RTS-games but this one is fantastic, I'm in love with it!
  11. Manwolf

Manwolf Member

it seems i cannot free toggle view my planet with "space" key (default set)...was never able to, but forgot to mention before...anyone else having this on a mac?