Galactic Warfare suggestions

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by EaglePryde, October 28, 2013.

?

Do you like those ideas

1. Yes

33.3%
  2. No

66.7%
  1. EaglePryde

EaglePryde New Member

Hello there

At this point there still isn't much to know about GW and thus i decided to make some suggestions based on the currently known metagame setting. Those things i describe should be highly otional so every host can define his game without anyone being forced to something.

1.) Sector Battle (optional/setting) : Although battles per Solar System are cool i'd like to see an option to give you the possibility to not only have 1 Solar System in a battle but a couple of. The Idea behind this is to be able to add difficulty but also interessting game mechanics for inter solar transportation, resource gathering or even combat. Maybe even derelict stuff that can be reactivated to give you some sort of advanced machine, resource income, nebula or whatever would come to mind.

1.1) Intersolar Battles : why not? it's just another layer to the water,land,air mechanic and should be made and treated the same as the rest of the game.

2.) Unique Actions (optional/setting) : Just thought about Battletech somehow and the Clans Trial of possesion. Simply said you and the enemy would wager a couple of solar systems and do battle inside a sector/solar system with the winner getting all that has been thrown into the pot. High Risk/High Reward. Such an action would be limited to something like 1 per 20 Turns.
    There could be many interessting special actions that could be put into GW to make it more interessting.

3.) Relic Sites (otional/setting) : Some planets could have relic sites that give you a powerfull unit (experimental?)/building/unit boost or slight upgrade.
    Those Relic sites could be destroyed in a battle and thus eliminating the possibility for everyone to use it.

4.) Special Resources (optional/setting) Just to add more flavor to GW. Hold Solar Systems with special Resources, enables to to produce special stuff that is otherwise not possible. Or just boost some units like having metal XY will make your tanks slightly more durable, crystal XY would give unit XY better optics and makes it hit better. Having metal Z and crystal Y and gas X would enable you to make cloaked scouts.
    Additions don't always have to be devastating for other players but just adds to the experience.

GW has massive potential here and should have some additional and interessting gameplay mechanics that you don't find in a simple skirmish. Because of it's size and maybe even huge size of players, there should be much motivation in playing it. If it's just a bigger skirmish, many people may not even play it because it just takes more time than a regular skirmish . But if it really has a multitude of interessting stuff in it than i'm sure everyone would use skirmish for practice but GW as main playstyle what really should be.

Add your Ideas or comment on mine :)
  2. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Do a search before posting. There's two other posts on the front page of the forums about Galactic war.

Why would there be special resources in Galactic War, but not other game types?

The original point of the Galactic War was to replace the standard RTS campaign, allowing for an infinitely repayable campaign since it's randomized.

It's already been established that gameplay will only take place on a single solar system.

It's also already been established that metal planets will have "advanced technology" to be "activated." We don't know much beyond that.
  3. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Some info for you.

https://forums.uberent.com/threads/psa-what-galactic-war-actually-is.53312/
  4. chronosoul

chronosoul Well-Known Member

Could you flesh this out?

General Consenus is people would rather battle on planets then have the focus switch to space at a certain tech level. Lets walk on planets before we shift the game focus to space combat ( ignoring the planets surface)

I think this is very interesting and would be a change of pace to what people are used to in terms of contesting land.

Metal planets will have a unique option to be activated for some purpose undefined by Uber but will be Awesome for sure. Having a powerful unit or building would be cool to have on normal planets as a sort of environment/defensive measure for already claimed planets in a solar system. It could be its own event in an offline version of the galactic war of a rogue commander army with a doomsday unit that it sends. I know Chromehounds had unique units and it was a nice change of pace to play.

Gas Giants are special resources in the game that could be harnessed for some great power they hold. Uber has announced this in Kick starter. I'm not a huge fan of modifiers since it makes the game a little to RPG like for a strategy game. I'm okay with planets potentially having richer Mass spots as a possible expansion planet to send units to.

Since your relatively new to the forums, exercise the search to see if some ideas have been fleshed out (metal planets/gas giants by Uber). It will help with defining your suggestions and if topics have been discussed before.

1 discusses what will galactic war entail while the other is whether to have real time or Turn based Galactic war

Forum search yields this thread .It's actually probably the same idea of this thread... but its in the backers lounge... not sure where suggestions should go so that everyone can see them since the backer's lounge is view prohibited to some folks.

Meta game discussed
  5. EaglePryde

EaglePryde New Member

That's not new to me (rather old) and doesn't hold much of an info. That's really the most basic and uncomplete info and proves me right with my argument "At this point there still isn't much to know about GW". I didn't say we know nothing.

Also that something has been established, doesn't mean it won't be expanded and my ideas won't change the complete game but rather be an addition.

Why some points wouldn't fit into a skirmish but the GW should be clear but somehow not for you and thus i will elaborate. GW will take far longer to complete than skirmish and thus longer lasting techs/boosts are far more usefull than in a quicker skirmish battle. Where would be the point to provide powerfull unlocks on a skirmish system thus enabling players to end battles even quicker or due to the smaller timeframe, make powerfull unlocks rarely seen.

It also should have been clear that i try to "spice" the whole GW thing up. Imagine a thousand sol systems with nothing more going on than the same battles over and over. There should be some meaning to the whole GW thing that makes it unique. What is the point to have System A over B in GW if there is no special stuff or tactical value to it. Got it?
  6. EaglePryde

EaglePryde New Member

7. chronosoul

chronosoul Well-Known Member

Gotta watch for those quote brackets.

I think this is a cool idea. It might be useful when a planet is in contested territory by the enemy and they have more reinforcements coming in from solar systems boarding the planet then yours. Gives a real home field advantage. The problem I might see is that it would be hard to balance reinforcement size so that it isn't a one sided affair for the attacker.

Its interesting since Emperor Battle for Dune had the same setup in its sector control scheme. with periodic units coming from the offensive and defensive sides to help in the battle for control.
    stormingkiwi likes this.