2 months to release and the game feels like pre-alpha and is a letdown. Please delay the release.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by larse, October 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slywynsam

slywynsam Active Member

Well I think they said they want the final release of the game to be 40$, right? So they still have another pricepoint(50$) between here and there.

So if they wanted to they could lower the price in december(And take away some of the rewards, maybe only have them get the extra commander skin), get some extra cash, and keep the game in beta as long as they need.
    bradaz85 likes this.
  2. Culverin

Culverin Post Master General

Um....

Well if you consider the UI thread I have started.
    There's been very little community ratification to the list.
    I was hoping you guys could all stop complaining about stuff.
    Look through the list.
    I make the edits.
    Then we send it, on behalf of the community, to the community manager.

Us, the community, hasn't really been united in a way that is helpful to anybody.
  3. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

I'm not quite sure.

there's places where we shine, like media production, the organisation of tourneys, keeping the comunity active and such
    in regards to threads such as the megathread, strat zoom and minimaps, the input has been a never-before seen cohesion.

then there's a lot of threads that are in total dissagreement but at least the debate continues and stays fresh and enriching, it rarely goes into a deaf war.

but honestly i've never seen a more productive or active forum.
    I've responded to the UI list saying for me it's a go.
    for such things as the ui thread, the megathread.. ect. the input is there. people don't need to keep reconfirming what they think till the end of time. it's high time the suggested features be implemented.
  4. RMJ

RMJ Active Member

Somehow i cant picture them releasing the game before its done. They are already getting more funds through beta access and stuff.

Would only hurt them selves to release the game before its done. Its still heavily work in progress.
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  5. omniao

omniao Active Member

I would feel it more appropriate for uber to delay the release, or get some more builds out fast.
    I'm still waiting for them to make more than 50 factory unita avaliable (air, naval, bot, vehicle, orbital factory units) They're still at about in the mid-30s.
    But I feel they're on the verge of inspiration.
  6. Culverin

What's the unit cap right now?

What's the average unit count per side and per game?
  7. omniao

omniao Active Member

I meant units variations or models available, like bluebottles or t1 air fabbers.
    I have no idea what the unit cap is, it's probably whatever makes the server crash, but someone was talking about they are working on a cap of a million overall.
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  8. slywynsam

slywynsam Active Member

The unit cap is absurdly huge. There's a screenshot going around where someone queued up 10 factories with 15,000 units each(Apparently they used the mod and a lot of clicking).

They filled the planet.
    Grimseff and stormingkiwi like this.
  9. SXX

SXX Post Master General

I'm wasn't able to crash server just by building many units because simulation slowdown come much faster. Few builds ago slowdown was too big after about 8000 units what is still pretty good number if sim still use only one core of server CPU (which are usually much slower than desktop CPUs).
  10. ghostflux

ghostflux Active Member

I'm pretty sure that when you're playing versus AI, numbers of over 50k are easily possible. Perhaps even double or triple that. Though I couldn't give you a solid answer on how playing with a higher number of people would work out in terms of numbers.

While impressive in numbers, I'm not sure if they'll ever reach the 1 million goal.
  11. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

I think it was a cap of like 5 billion, due to the game defaulting to zero if you crossed it.
  12. pivo187

pivo187 Active Member

Has anything been said in the backers forums by the devs?
  13. paulusss

paulusss Active Member

Nope, they have not spoken to us in almost a month now, well that's abit of a lie, Garat replied to a question about fullscreen mode and that's it for the last 28 days, it's getting kinda frustrating tbh.
  14. k4trix

k4trix Member

I hope a big realease will appear, 2 weeks without new build.
  15. Culverin

No, there was more than that.

Forrest dropped in, shared and answered questions:
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/the-tech-of-planetary-annihilation-chronocam.52678/

@tatsujb brought up an issue about the clunky zoom level to Celestial View.
    I made a proposal.
    Neutrino said they would look into it.
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/...feel-has-a-lot-to-draw-from-ozonexs-pa.52806/

I wish we could get a weekly "ask the devs" session.
    Like 5 questions each week from the community that are not "when is it coming" related.
    That would be something people could ask @BradNicholson if it's possible.
  16. chronosoul

chronosoul Well-Known Member

Its the weekend, and this was posted during that time. Its a weird expectation that they should come to our aid whenever we ring a forum Bell on urgent issues. Even brought up in separate threads, Uber knows about all these issues. Having uber give 25% 50% 75% done status updates would be holding them to promises they can't keep all the time since progress and knowing a completion date on some part of a system is hard to gauge.

Community manager is a little different then Forum manager. Brad is a new employee and doesn't know everything and all the things being worked on for Uber and can't be fully vouched to answer questions that he has no expertise information on. He seems more in charge or promoting the game and getting press information sent out on all the games Uber is currently working on.

Having him check the forums and provide tech answers for the Original Poster's statements would be unqualified.
    Grimseff likes this.
  17. gabooo

gabooo Member

They are busy making the game. Remember the huge new build when beta came out. They're not working on balance yet. I guess they started again working a new units a few weeks ago, judging by the recent unit idea thread by neutrino. They are still coding major parts of game mechanics.

New units, improvements, builds, will come faster as we get closer to release. When they will have all the major tools at their disposal, they will iterate faster.

I think you worry too much. And while I also like reading dev posts here, I understand it's very time consuming. I'm a dev too, and to be fast, you need focus. To focus, you need to step away as much as possible from distraction. You can acheive as much as 5x more work a day by staying focused.

My take on this is that they will release roughly on schedule. The game will be much, much better than it is now. It will not be perfect. But the main stuff will be there and working, and we'll have a fun game to play. Hopefully it will generates sales, and a somewhat marketplace is avaialable so that we can buy hats to support the game development , and brag about them. And they already stated development will go on after realease. They're aiming for a Team Fortress 2 model, not a TA/SupCom/Whatever one.

Last but not least : optimism and support! Nothing like this to keep a dev motivated. Guys, the game is far from done, but it's already the best thing we've got since ... ages ?!

Executive summary : be positive, continue playing, spread the love and contribute to nice ideas, bug reporting and hunting.
    Grimseff likes this.
  18. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

People who argue about the release ...

1. there is no clear release date given ... just that it would be out for december so it could be come out the 28th or something along those lines
    meaning

2. there is about 2 months worth of time ... so there can still happen a lot ...
    and even then it has been stated by the devs that the relesedate may be subject to change

i suggest people to wait a bit more at least until end of November to see at which state the game is
    and don´t cry about the absence of devs in the Forums as i imagine them to be full of work and push developement far more now to get it ready for release ... so just let them do their work ...
    continue betatesting and bugreporting and don´t worry about stuff that isn´t meant to be in with the corestuff anyway ... as has been said multiple times game will be further developed post release ...

while i do understand that people want the game to have a good releasestart for communitiesake and further support ( as do i as well of course ) i feel that arguing in this threat doesn´t realy help it at all
    people who knew about the game and its kickstarter (especialy the donators and early-accesspurchasers) should have been aware that developement of this scale would be a rather wild ride and not neccesarily 100% optimal ... not at all
    ... you should have known what you bought yourself into ... at least i know i did and with good conscience ...

and screw metacritic
  19. skywalkerpl

skywalkerpl Member

1. Which is still a very little time
    2. FYI: large companies developing some more advanced software than smartphone "fart" apps can spend more than that on debugging and QA of a feature-complete version of the software. Meanwhile PA is nowhere near that.

Really?
    See: Mechwarrior: Online and Sword of the Stars 2 before leaving comment like that.
  20. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

matter of opinion

uberent. ISN`T a large Company !!

yes!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.