2 months to release and the game feels like pre-alpha and is a letdown. Please delay the release.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by larse, October 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SXX

SXX Post Master General

As long as I get neutrino idea they don't want to manage "window in window" on their own. They want to create proper (but borderless) system windows and let you manage them using built-in operation system features.
  2. maxpowerz

maxpowerz Post Master General

Ahh, like drag and drop windows that can be dynamically resized??
  3. SXX

SXX Post Master General

It's my guess, but I think it's better wait and see how exactly devs implement it.
    maxpowerz likes this.
  4. Culverin

Culverin Post Master General

Uber said they will open up more than the UI API soon.
    So I am not expecting much at this stage.

However, the more I think about the UI, the more I am terrified about the situation.
    I think most casuals (not on the forum) are expecting at minimum SupCom levels of UI.

You can tell simply because every new community member posts are asking for UI features we have taken for granted.
    Click + drag, Build templates, GAZ UI improvements, and stuff from Spring/Zero-K.

Surely I am not the only one who has noticed that this is a very common theme?
    That practically every thread by the new members are UI related?
  5. atharol

atharol Member

Yeah i agree take you time. Dont haste a game like this out. Let the communite help by playing beta
  6. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

Oh you mean like how they all understood the current price points?

Also everyone has to keep in mind the devs internal builds could be many of updates ahead of the live builds that everyone is playing on. And a delay isn't uncommon in the first place.

[Edit]
    Also whether they release in December or not. They will still have the $40 Pre-Order package listed on Steam. So they can still make sales and maybe even discount the game during the winter sales and maybe even add in Beta access.
    Last edited: October 27, 2013
    LavaSnake and Quitch like this.
  7. Culverin

Culverin Post Master General

At least Uber is rather responsive (compared to PGI and how they are handling MWO).

In this day and age, I'm not sure you can recover from a bad launch.
    Anybody who cares about RTS, TA or SupCom will have PA on their radar.
    If this game gets slammed by the critics and fans at launch, that rep never goes away.

On the other hand, if PA gets celebrated at launch, that momentum will be enough to carry it through a 2nd kickstarter for another 2 factions.

Launch quality is a big deal.
    But you guys complaining on the forums doesn't necessarily help. But that's also not your fault.
    I just hope you guys test the crap out of this once the full unit roster comes online.
    And don't just make threads about it. If you really cared, compile that community data so Uber doesn't have to sift through your comments.
    Grimseff likes this.
  8. SXX

SXX Post Master General

We know that Uber practice continuous integration for PA devepopment and some of us see internal builds numbers. I totally sure that Uber release stuff right after they done successfull internal testing.

But obviously many unstable features might be not included in mainline build, so each developer might have own PA branch with yet-not-ready features.
  9. smallcpu

smallcpu Active Member

Not sure what you're suprised about? The current UI is clearly inadequate for the size PA aspires to and its missing core features that were in TA still (not to speak of features SC and spring added). Having a good UI is one of the most important things in a RTS after all.

I'm still curious how they will solve the issues Orbital creates in regards to a good UI (besides the issue with spherical maps that needs some solving too).
  10. Arachnis

Arachnis Well-Known Member

I agree that Uber probably knows better what they're doing than anyone here. Also they don't need the added pressure, they're probably working day and night already. They have a very small team, so it's not surprising that things don't develop as fast as people are used to, or expected them to develop.

But let me tell you this:
    This is technically not a beta. It's only resemblence with a beta is that it's called a beta. Usually a beta is when all gameplay elements (units, gas giants, galactic war) are already included, but still in need of fixing, polishing and balancing. The reason for this is because betas are usually there to test all that stuff that will be in the final game.
    At least that's my experience. So maybe calling this game a "beta" is a bit misleading, because those elements are still missing.

What that means is that when they release the game in two months, what they'll really release will be the actual beta of this game.
    Last edited: October 27, 2013
  11. thepilot

thepilot Well-Known Member

R.I.P.P.A ?
  12. Arachnis

Arachnis Well-Known Member

It's really too early to say. Maybe the devs planned it all, and know exactly what they're doing. Who knows?
  13. bradaz85

bradaz85 Active Member

That would be a shame!
  14. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

All this pessimism ... Well at least it shows that people care.
  15. cobycohodas

cobycohodas Member

First of all, they already have a certain amount of guaranteed players with the kickstarter campaign and subsequent alpha/beta packages. So regardless of release quality, these players have paid and own the game already and have funded whatever Uber makes as a result.

Secondly, as long as Uber release a playable and decent version of the game- even if it is missing units, planet types, some features, galactic war, etc- more people will buy it who have not heard of it, especially if it is made clear that more is coming soon.

Thirdly, Uber already said they will continue development post December launch. So whatever is not available at launch will be coming, probably sooner rather than later.

So with this in mind, all I expect from Uber in December is a playable, less buggy, and decent RTS game that is still being developed.
  16. bradaz85

bradaz85 Active Member

This is the sad truth unfortunately. Too many devs get secure in the belief that they can release an unfinished product and finish it after the official release date. I'd rather a delay!
  17. slywynsam

slywynsam Active Member

The problem with that is they may not be able to afford a delay.
  18. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

It's called money. Without it they can't develop anything at all. So basically if money runs out on December they _have_ to release at that time. They have no other choice. Ofc we don't know about their financial situation, but I doubt they are swimming in money.
    Grimseff likes this.
  19. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

I'd seriously be ready to back them a second time.
    Grimseff likes this.
  20. slywynsam

slywynsam Active Member

I didn't know about this game the first time but I'd probably do it if they had to raise money again.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.