Why Turtle is not a good Strategy

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Gerfand, October 22, 2013.

1. navycuda

navycuda New Member

Consider that each unit and structure purchased is mass. So say during that 15 minutes I use 1 million metal to build my structures and units. The other player spends 2 million on structures and units. The other player sends 1 million metal worth of combat units at my base, if I've done my job right he'll lose that entire force. For that moment in time we're equal. In total usable metal spent, however he is at a net loss of 1 million and I have minor or no losses. So he has to recover from his losses, even with a better economy, while my stable secure economy continues with slow paced expansion at the same time making it more difficult to penetrate the base defenses. There is a critical point where the turtle economy takes hold and becomes unstoppable and from there it's just a steady pace of building and victory.

Remember, turtling is about using your resources more efficiently and protecting your investments.
  2. amphok

amphok Member

first rule when someone turtle

take all the map and overwhelm him with a better economy, if the map/planet in PA case, is too small and he can cover it with long range cannon, then don't play on small map
  3. ghostflux

ghostflux Active Member

I don't understand what you're saying here. Though I'm getting the feeling that you're just trying to push shields again.

The whole idea behind RTS games is being more efficient. It's not just turtling.
  4. amphok

amphok Member

actually simply turtling and turtling for fast tech up, are two different things
  5. Gerfand

Gerfand Active Member

Both you will Lose to a Swarm of units.
  6. Arachnis

Arachnis Well-Known Member

Fast T2 is one of the main reasons for people dying to ant pushes.
    Gerfand likes this.
  7. Gerfand

Gerfand Active Member

If you want to Expand w/ Turtle, a Smart Player will denied just by making a Dox and raid You: Sem título2.png
    And the only way to make Turtle a Good Strat is by doing "Siege-Turtles", those are a Siege base w/ a Turtle aspect(tatic):
    Sem título.png
    Note*: is more easy to only assault the enemy instead of building a base.

You can also play-safe and make Little Turtles(tatic):
    Sem título3.png
    But making turtles, expanding from your base, is not a good Strat, when the enemy will have more Map Control(because of his tanks that are cheaper and mobile),Eco... A.K.A. "Rule Of 10"
  8. flexable

flexable Member

If you rush turtle, you can win. :)
  9. Gerfand

Gerfand Active Member

you mean Turret-Push(PD-Creep,...)?

"Turtle is when a player is not making aggressive actions, instead of that he/she make only defence actions."

Turret-push is an agressive action

This Video can explain that:
    -Lu_Xun = PD-Creep, but turned to Turtle when he has 2 bases
    -BC_BlackHeart = Turtle.
    Last edited: October 23, 2013
    hearmyvoice likes this.
  10. Arachnis

Turtling can make sense very late in the game. When your opponents have no room to expand anymore, and your eco is better than theirs, then it can be a good strategy to contain them with arty and other turrets. But that's basically just a different variation of a tower-creep.

It's basically like this:
    If you're behind, then play aggressive.
    If you're leading, then it makes great sense to concentrate more on defending yourself and on securing that lead.
    Last edited: October 23, 2013
  11. Gerfand

Gerfand Active Member

In both ways go Agressive!
    Last edited: October 24, 2013
  12. Arachnis

Just saying that you can play it both ways when being in the lead. Containing is aggressive, it's just not as aggressive as rushing all your units into your opponent's base. And it's not really a mistake fortifying the back of your base once you're in the lead. Just to make sure, you know?
    The one that is behind is under pressure to change the situation, not the guy on top.
  13. Gerfand

Gerfand Active Member

but playing agressive will ensure your victory faster, and, never stop playing agressive, because you is hurting you enemy and making he stay very occupied to make some Strats to kill YOU.
  14. Arachnis

Unless he is turtling himself. With towers and catapults everywhere sending your units in can turn into a suicide mission. It's also a form of wasting ressources. This is especially true when playing against more than one player. The best way to play in that situation is to continue expanding and wait till you have a unit that can bypass those defences in a cost efficient way. All that while making sure that your opponent doesn't expand (containing).

Sometimes playing overly aggressive can turn tables and give your enemy a chance to counter-attack. There is always some risk involved when sending your units into the enemy base. Going the cointainment route is the no-risk way of doing things.

Besides, if you're a good player and scout your enemy, then he shouldn't have a chance to come up with a strategy that outright kills you. Especially when he has an inferior economy.
  15. ulciscor

ulciscor Active Member

I've turtled many times, when in a FFA, 8 player or something stupid on a smallish map, you pretty much have to.
  16. Arachnis

The strategy in FFA that worked best for me was
    1. to make sure I have a decent ant production.
    2. to make sure that I'm building a pelter in front of the base of my enemies, before they do. I'd probably build a radar and anti-air turret first. Then reinforce all that with walls. It's an easy way to draw your borders, defend against counterattacks and harass your enemy. Plus you can always tower creep from that point on.

Letting your enemy do that to you is a very bad situation to get into. So I opt building those pelters as soon as my fab and ant production stands and I have the ressources to support it.

From that point on you want to go T2 asap. While slowly creeping your way foreward with more pelters. As soon as you have T2 you want to build catapults before your enemy does. If your enemy does it before you do, then you probably need to use your units to kill it. Chances of success are slim if he has additional fortifications.
    Again, use those catapults to draw your borders, and creep foreward with more catapults if you're confident in doing so. Use the other T2 fabs to expand your economy immediately. You must wager whether to build a catapult, or improved eco-buildings first.

Obviously variations exist. You can throw in as many air factories, orbital launchers, radars-, anti-air and lasertowers as you want.
    When tower-creeping I tend to focus my ressource allocation to one border after another, after making sure that I have at least one pelter at every border.

I think that this is what the current metagame requires you to do.
  17. navycuda

navycuda New Member

The idea behind the RTS is to win, not to be efficient. Turtling is just one of many ways to win or lose an RTS.
  18. cfehunter

cfehunter New Member

Personally I quite like turrets and semi-turtling.
    Once we're fighting on multiple fronts, on multiple planets it's going to become impossible to be all out attacking and micro managing with every single group of bots you've got. So at that point you'll have to rely on turtling strategies to hold ground while you're claiming new ground elsewhere.
  19. miesha

miesha New Member

There's a difference between agro monkeys (attack attack attack attack, never defend because who cares if I lose things, THINGS EXPLODE!!!) and dps apes (I'm going to attack now because it's a tactically sound choice. The losses I'll take will be rewarded by the damage I deal to the enemy.) If you rush headlong against a turtler without a plan, you'll have a bad time. Everything in every strategy game requires tactics. You need to plan ahead. If you want to play defensively, plan ahead so you can play defensively. If you want to play aggressively, plan ahead so you can play aggressively. If you want to make some obscure fabber only tactic where all you do is mimic a locust swarm, go ahead but plan accordingly.

Turtling can be a good strategy, IF YOU PLAN ACCORDINGLY.
    /end thread
  20. Gerfand

Gerfand Active Member

Nope, because you can Raid him and start to get Map-Control,what make the Raids very usefull against Turtle, or in PA case you can go Orbital.
    Also if this is a big planet he will never be Able to defend everything, and if it is Small Planet is possible but he would need to Concetrate all his defense in One Point, or spread out them, in both ways, at least I can Defeat him