[New!] Faction #2 Faction Name Poll

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by BradNicholson, October 23, 2013.

?

What Should Faction 2's Name Be?

1. Temple of the First

92 vote(s)
    9.9%
  2. Followers of the Founder

50 vote(s)
    5.4%
  3. Army of the Creator

138 vote(s)
    14.9%
  4. The Enlightened

98 vote(s)
    10.6%
  5. The Foundation

247 vote(s)
    26.6%
  6. Knights of the Faith

124 vote(s)
    13.4%
  7. The Adherents

118 vote(s)
    12.7%
  8. Disciples of the Founder

60 vote(s)
    6.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vulcantourist

vulcantourist New Member

It's nice to at least see my faction name in the final running. I confess I rushed a commander name suggestion (Pious The First/Seldon The First) and it was a bit weak. Should've cracked open the Foundation books and boned-up before trying to name the commander.
  2. gammatau

gammatau Member

Asimov fan here, voted Foundation.

Wouldn't it be important to consider an abbreviated version of these names? "Followers of the Foundry" becomes FOF. "The Foundation" becomes... TF?

Liking "Fist of the Founder" too, that has been suggested a couple of times. But as an acronym it is too easily confused with Followers of the Foundry.

Army of the Creator is good too. How about Sword of the Creator. It's kind of ironic, that one who creates also wields a sword. :p Or, too much "of the" - keep it short and simple: The Creator's Sword.

Keeping it shorter and simpler:

1. Foundry/Foundation
    2. Fist
    3. Sword
    4. Hammer
    5. Vengeance
    6. The Redeemers

Single words, when used like this, have more impact than the thing of the thing of the thing.
    Last edited: October 23, 2013
    Grimseff likes this.
  3. BigGunsNeverTire

BigGunsNeverTire New Member

"The Foundation" sounds entirely too much like they're a non-profit charity dedicated to raising money for cancer research or helping the homeless. Given the huge numbers of actual organizations in that vein that exist with "foundation" as the latter part of their name and given that "the foundation" is how many people within those sort of organizations refer to their collective group ("We feel the foundation's support of the local community has produced promising outcomes" etc), it's just not so much the "crush all, biologic or machine, that will not convert to their beliefs" vibe to me. :p

That said, I'm generally a fan of faction/group names that don't have "of" in them, so I like the style of The Foundation -- just not the particular name.
  4. Barasu

Barasu New Member

I like Army of the Creator.
  5. nanosystem01

nanosystem01 New Member

They are fighting the unbelievers and the heretics; sacrificing themselves for the greater good.

An enlightened future will be their gift to the creator; their twisted and smoking chassis will be The Foundation upon which it is built.
  6. verloren

verloren New Member

I think the problem is that all the names are in English. I think they should come up with random words that inspire a sense of religious fanaticism, in the same way as for example 'The Tal'darim' (Starcraft), 'Jaffa' (produced Jah'Fah, Stargate) and 'Amarr' (EVE Online). Other wise I go with the Adherent.

P.S English is my first language so don't think of this as me being prejudice.
  7. Zoughtbaj

Zoughtbaj Member

Personally like the Adherents because it blends technology with religion in a nice way, but agreed that it doesn't have to follow a typical English name. Also, Zealots rings nicely with me for some reason...Zealots of Turing? Heh.

(It's been a while since I've been around, I'm loving the lore Uber!)
  8. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Made up names are really bad unless you make it a whole language.

The only made up names that are good are Tolkien Elvish and/or are Klingon.

[PS:] Good job on the Amarrian call - they do everything in English.
  9. xcupx

xcupx Member

Except, you know, their faction name, which is what's being discussed...
  10. Ortikon

Ortikon Active Member

alot of good choices, real tough yet again.
    i wouldnt be surprised if this turns out to be rather even across the board.
  11. BulletMagnet

12. hostileparadox

hostileparadox Well-Known Member

I really should stop voting for names that failed already. Followers of the Founder FTL :p

But... The Foundation is winning? Seriously?

That doesn't inspire visions of anything religious/zealot/righteous to mind. :(
  13. ucsgolan

ucsgolan Member

I really love the foundation, does not sound hostile but very self-oriented.
  14. BulletMagnet

I'm pretty happy with The Foundation.

Voted The Adherent(should be singular) because it's my Plan B.

But truth be told, I like them because they don't conflict with Nemicus The Incorruptable. XP
  15. jemborg

jemborg New Member

I chose Disciples of the Founder because, after reading the lore, it sounded more obviously religious and named their god. It has that smug self-serving piousness to it you expect from fundamentalists and hawkish god botherers. :) However, if you go with the The Foundation I wouldn't mind.
    Last edited: October 24, 2013
  16. chronosoul

chronosoul Well-Known Member

I like the new names, I chose the knights since I can almost imagine a sort of medieval Crusader purifying the robotic landscape but the Foundation sounds equally awesome.

Thanks for adding the new names!
  17. desmeluchlach

desmeluchlach New Member

Army of the Creator for sure :)
  18. skywalkerpl

skywalkerpl Member

LOL. Who cares?!
    I don't see any reason why some random meaningless game on Android should affect Planetary Annihilation in any way.
  19. Devak

Devak Post Master General

Can i just say that you guys are awesome for doing this?
  20. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

The thing that I find amusing is that, despite Uber's best efforts to please us, on current poll standings about 75% of backers will be disappointed with the outcome.

archcommander and calmesepai like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.