What is everyone's opening build?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by brianpurkiss, October 22, 2013.

1. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Naturally you need to change it up based on the spawn and planet, but I still have a general build that I base everything off of and change on the fly as needed.

I go for
    3 metal
    1 energy
    1 metal
    1 energy

(It delays expansion a little, but keeps my economy from stalling while expanding.)

1 bot factory - queue up 5 fabbers, 5doxes, 100 fabbers, crap ton of doxes

Then with my commander I queue up 4-6 energy plants
    1 energy storage
    Crap ton of energy plants
    Sometimes I mis in some storage or missile defense

With my 5 first fabbers I send the first two to metal, third to assist commander, fourth to help first two with metal, and then the fourth to queue up 1 air factories, a handful of not factories, then adv bot factories.

What does everyone else do?
  2. killzone5017002

killzone5017002 Active Member

1 mex 1 power 2 mex bot 15 fabbers than dox and it goes on and on from there
  3. volcciss

volcciss New Member

Depends on but mostly:

1 mex, 1 energy plant, air factory (for scouting+hummingbirds), 2 mexes, 2 energy plants, vehicle/bot factory (3 engineers first), 2 energy plants, 1 missile turret. At this point I should have first engineer going to expand and I usually build about 3 engineers which I send to metal spots and I build rest 5-6 energy plants with my commander. Then I probably build either lots of bot/vehicle factories or an engineer and advanced factory with my commander. After that I have no plans :p
    Usually I keep building energy plants/mexes/factories and at some point I build Orbital Launcher and Radar Satellite. And of course goal is to produce as many units as I can and maybe some defenses around mexes from far away my bases. Usually when it goes this far I build like 3 factories there and there and keep spamming.

At the moment when there is very little units I havent been interested to optimize my gameplay. Later I may do some macros for my G15 buttons and make mixed army with artillery, tanks, bots and air. Now its just too easy to cheese with tier 1 bot spam and tier 2 vehicle spam so Im not interested to put all the effort to manage mixed army :p Or if I cant go through the defense I just build few nukes and there it is.

Btw, why do you keep making fabbers all the time? Most of time I cant have either metal or energy if I have over 10 fabbers at start and usually later too. I may understand if you are building everything at the same time, but I have noticed it will be a problem if you are building 10 structures at the same as it will slow down your energy plant/metal extractor build rate.
    Last edited: October 23, 2013
  4. Ortikon

Ortikon Active Member

Depending on the starting metal, but ever since the metal spawns changed to be more sparse (as well as their value increase)
    2 metal, 2 power, bot factory+queue 5 fabberbots, 1 metal(if nearby),2 power.
    Totaling 2-3 metal and 4 power with one bot factory pumping out fabbers.
    First 3 fabbers go to nearest metal point each. Each is assigned a mex and two missile turrets. Remains on site to continue defense in future.
    By about this point commander should be assigned second bot factory and air factory. Then continue on energy. From here the game is variable. I try my best to prevent energy from being empty. Storage is a huge role in that respect.
    Depending on which frontier metal expansion is likely to face enemy, the fabber left there begins on more factories once some additional defense is created.
  5. brianpurkiss

I always build so many fabbers because I always expand ridiculously. It's also to recover from fabber losses and I often have idle fabbers. But I find it's better to have them and not need them and lose a bunch of fabbers or chunk of base – having those fabbers can help me quickly get back on my feet. Also, if I'm getting attacked and overrun, I can take these fabbers and spam up turrets quickly.
  6. siefer101

siefer101 Active Member

3 mex 3 energy 10 fabbers... 5 fabbers go mass mex, comander goes max power and fabber do prelim defense of aa and point defense... 1 more fabber goes radar.. at least 2 fabbers begin advanced factory Immediately.. then t2 pwr and mex then radar then orbital
  7. brianpurkiss

That's pretty fast orbital! I like.
  8. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

I only rarely play 1v1s - build orders in 2v2 and up games tend to be much more variable because you have that much more flexibility... so I don't really have an established build order :/
  9. brianpurkiss

I want to play 2v2s more... They're a lot of fun. Should get more active with y'all at The Realm and play more.
    archcommander and cwarner7264 like this.
  10. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

I agree ;)
  11. gunshin

gunshin Well-Known Member

why stop at 2 energy before factory?
  12. spazzdla

spazzdla Active Member

Metal, Energy, metal, energey storage(I find this is a massive help around 3 mintues.. massive), metal, bot factory, energy plants.

Dat start energy storage has been a key adition to my opener.
  13. liltbrockie

liltbrockie Active Member

2 mex 2 power bot factory... commander on power bots on mex.
  14. ghostflux

ghostflux Active Member

Depends on if you want to go for an eco or rush build. The eco build I use has 3-4 metal, 3 energy and an energy storage before the first factory, then pump out 6 to 10 fabbers out of the bot factory with my commander assisting. Atleast 4 on expanding metal, atleast 2 on energy, preferably 4.

The rush build on the other hand has only 1 energy and no energy storage before the first factory. And does not spend nearly as much on fabbers.
  15. kmike13

kmike13 Member

I kinda stopped playing till some more basic unit diversity is added. :/ But my build order was usually:

1 mex
    1 energy
    3 mex
    1 Bot fac
    SPAM ENERGY
  16. brianpurkiss

Interesting... I'll have to try that out. Seems like a nice way to have plenty of energy without stalling.
    Last edited: October 23, 2013
  17. gunshin

gunshin Well-Known Member

not sure if you know but, its more economic to build the factory after 1st pgen.
  18. brianpurkiss

I'm still experimenting, and sometimes I build a factory after my 1st power gen.

However, I've found that it's very easy to stall energy when building a factory+fabbers right after the first power gen.

I used to go 3 or 4 meta, 1 energy, factory (fabbers), and energy with my commander. My first fabber would assist the commander with building energy, but it was still common to stall out on energy.
  19. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Factory after one pgen is kinda extreme too. However I agree that ghostflux build is ignoring that buildpower is a resource too. You need an earlier factory to make engineers.
  20. Arachnis

Arachnis Well-Known Member

I think

mex
    energy
    mex
    mex
    (mex) <- depends on starting point
    factory producing fabs
    commander on building more power plants
    first two fabs assisting commander
    all fabs after that building more mexes

is the safest build atm. It stalls on energy at one point, but you'll get out of that very quickly with two fabs assisting your commander in building more energy plants.