Wy advanced fabbers cant be,build by all basic factories?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by kalherine, October 21, 2013.

1. bluestrike01

bluestrike01 Active Member

Unless higher tiers only offer specialized units (shields, stealth, transport, ..) it makes lower tiers somewhat absolete.
    Thats the nature of having tiers, if they make evolution part of the game its only normal older stuff is less desired ... Wel it also matters how big the difference between tiers actually is, in SupCom T1 planes are kinda WW1 where T3 planes are present day jets :)

If there is a tier 1 tank and a tier2 tank, one could argue that the t2 tank makes the t1 tank absolete.

That said, I think you never have enough engi's so why would it make t1 fabbers abosolete? :)
  2. christopher1006

christopher1006 Member

T2 isn't supposed to override T1. T1 is what you would call the meat grinder units while the T2 units are specifically useful for certain situations. The point the OP is making is that people are too focused on convenience by wanting the T2 engineer buid everything better and faster which brings in to question why the T1 engineer exists. I think it would be better if the T2 fabricator could build the usual T1-T2 buildings and only its relevant factory. The build times would not change between T1 and T2. This way T1 is still relevant as being cheaper and the T2 fabbers are only useful for its class specific factory and T2 buildings at a later point in the game with a higher cost.
  3. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

I really don't think they should be able to build all t1 structures. I think it is fine that they can produce t1 factories that quickly give you access to t1 without making t1 engys mostly defunct.
    kalherine likes this.
  4. sovietpride

sovietpride Member

But why not.

The only argument that seems to be banded about here is "Omg, T2 makes T1 obselete", which is completely false as it doesn't factor in the other variables involved - namely time, economy, and practicality.

It takes time to transition from T1 to T2 even if T2 made T1 obselete.
    The economy needed to sustain a raw T2 spam would be significant, let alone the transition to T2 whereby they're taking a risk to invest.
    Those mexes don't really care if its an ant or a leveller hitting them. Undefended, they will die. Hence, given the above two, sending T2 everywhere doesn't actually make that much sense given the constraints.

Why shouldn't my advanced fabber be able to built lower-tier stuff? It costs more than a normal fabber, and besides, if all i want is to spam missile turrets I wouldn't be using advanced fabbers for that anyway. Adding a mandatory step of "build lower tier factory" just seems a bit... odd.

That said, It was the system in TA... and I never really felt it to be odd, but advanced engineers weren't something you used willy-nilly anyway.
  5. schuesseled192

schuesseled192 Active Member

The factories are probably segregated for two reasons:

Firstly it's a little more user friendly, easier to distinguish where to build your advanced units and where to build your basic units. And therefore also where you need to attack, the enemy advanced stuff takes preference over basic stuff.

And secondly it allows the factories you've built already to still be useful both whilst the advanced factory is being built and afterwards, rather than in supcom when all t1 and t2 stuff becomes obsolete.
  6. Gerfand

Gerfand Active Member

Because in T-1 are more cheap and faster to build, and (at least in TA) you need to have a T-1 Eng to make all Land,Bot...